+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chloromancer Feedback

Rift Team

Chloromancer Feedback

As with the Stormcaller I'm starting a new thread for this one instead of resurrecting the old one.

Is anyone playing a primarily Chloromancer build? Has any tried healing an instance with one? What sort of feedback is there for the soul as a whole?

Things at the top of my list to look at in regards to this soul:
    • Withering Vines - Since this hasn't changed since the original thread I'm guessing people are still not using this.
    • Entropic Veil - Same deal. Its not stacking with Lifegiving Veil means it is almost never used.

If you have experiences to the contrary with those abilities please let me know.

Due to a chronic lack of clerics I ended up running a Chloromancer to heal Abyssal Precipice. Most of the group was level 50 which seems to be par for the course on dungeons (outlevelling them quite a bit)

I had some difficulty with healing in this place for a couple reasons:

1) Chloromancers lack a "cure" and so the second boss in AP which really requires a curer meant I was fubar for that purpose

2) There just wasnt enough "oomph" to some of the heals and I found myself in a couple situations where I had mana but was waiting on cooldowns to be able to do anything. I could tell I was falling behind but I didnt really have any immediate way to get back on track as even my "big heal" didnt seem to get the tank back up to full health and effectively reset things back to square 1.

Now some of this could easily be due to me falling out of practice in using Chloromancer, but given that we were substantially higher than the level the dungeon was intended for I felt I had to work really hard to keep everyone alive and even failed a few times not due to poor strategy but rather just not being able to keep up with the damage.

Part of this coule be the Synthesis mechanic. Chloromancers are really just life pushers focused on the one targer (the Synthesis beneficiary). In a situation where the Chloromancer is expected to keep the whole group alive the number of available tools drops significantly.

Ive seen Zehn run Chloromancer several times and been very successful at it, so it may just be my own inexperience, but again I seemed to have to work really hard to keep people up in a situation where it should have been relatively simple.

I am writing this at work atm, so I dont have all my data/spell names in front of me atm.

Ive switched into Chloromancer spec for my group a few times to play healer. The class is definetly a fun one to play and I like its ability to attempt to fill in as a healer, however they just dont lack enough 'oomph' to be considered a main healer. The cooldown on the direct heals seems a little long. I find myself not being able to keep up using these. The direct damage/heal is pretty amazing however and find it to be the main heal I use for the tank.

One thing that bothers me is a lack of buffs for the group. The chloro needs some +hp buffs, and I was thinking perhaps a buff that increased incoming heals, and should be raid wide. This would increase the likely hood that you would want a chloro spec on raids. The death save is extremely useful, however I would prefer to designate it to one player only and not the first person to die. Would be nice to have this for the main tank on a raiding perspective.

My biggest issue with playing the chloromancer is the current targeting system. I think if any class would benefit the most from an offensive/defensive target system the chloromancer would. It can be painful switching targets around constantly to heal the tank, heal the group, plus maintain some sort of dps on the mob.

The aoe dot/hot is a nice spell but I would like to see its cool down lowered or perhaps make it an aura effect based on charge. Now I am not talking about making it a channeled ability but rather have it a toggle effect/buff that heals the group and damages the mobs as long as we have greater than 0 charge built up.

All and all I like the class and see it having value situationally, but if the goal is to make a chloro a viable option to a group/raid then it needs to have its healing abilities strengthened so that it can act as a main healer. Currently if the choice was left to inviting a chloro or a cleric there is no reason to choose chloro over a cleric healer.

Sometime around level 30 I switched from my necro/warlock soloing role to a chloromancer/6 warlock role to solo with predominantly. Unfortunately there haven't been a lot of dungeons being run Defiant side that I've seen, so can't comment on the group healing experience at this point. Some things I've noticed though

First off, I absolutely agree with Kontra. Chloromancer is just begging for a change in the targeting system. I know that separating offensive/defensive targeting isn't really on the table at this point, but either focus or mouseover targeting would greatly benefit chloromancers.

Natural Awareness is bugged to a certain extent. The boost in intelligence raises the spellpower and crit rate, and gives a massive boost in mana, however, the boost in mana doesn't go away when the buff does. It only seems to disappear when you shift roles. Also, it doesn't seem to be interacting with Raised in Nature well. I don't know if this is by design, but because Natural Awareness raises int, and Raised in Nature raises end by a percentage of int, it seems that Natural Awareness should be giving an end buff as well, and it's not.

I don't think Destructive Growth is working at all. If I'm reading the talent correctly, all enemies should be taking 5-15% extra damage while within the field of the spell. I've been testing pulling some mobs and then chain casting various spells on them, and am not noticing any difference in damage numbers before and after wild growth. Admittedly, I only have this at 5% ATM, and I haven't done a ton of testing, so I'll revisit and confirm this when I ding 50.

Here's a big one. Lifegiving Veil isn't interacting well with DoTs. It will trigger on the initial cast of withering vine, and then never again until recast. Assuming you have Nature's Corrosion, it will trigger once for ruin and vile spores on the initial cast and once on the first tick of the DoT effect, and then never again until recast. I think once this is fixed healing numbers for chloromancers should look much better, as they're currently losing 86% of the healing withering vines should be doing and 40% of the healing from ruin and vile spores (assuming nature's corrosion)

Also, I agree with the entropic veil commentary. I'll never use this ability as written, and even in the case where I'm playing chloro as a pure damage dealer, corrosion and wild growth (with working destructive growth) seem to be better uses of charge.

Out of curiousity though, why aren't people using withering vines? Personally, I toss it up every fight. It's nothing spectacular, and I think I'd much rather it be instant instead of having a long cast, but it's a solid DoT. The biggest issue with it now is due to it not playing well with lifegiving veil in my opinion.

Again, I haven't had a chance to play dungeon healer with this spec, but I agree that the absence of a cure of some sort will hurt. Also, I second the opinion that a raidwide buff provided by the chloromancer would be a tasty addition. I agree that something that increases incoming heals would work well thematically.

I think there are a few ways to make Chloro's semi - viable for group healing, but my favorite would probably to just increase the amount of healing your life nukes do. Rather than giving them a few more heals or etc, playing on their unique playstyle seems like the better choice. Personally, I would at least increase how much Ruin and Spores heal your synthesis'd target for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I think there are a few ways to make Chloro's semi - viable for group healing, but my favorite would probably to just increase the amount of healing your life nukes do. Rather than giving them a few more heals or etc, playing on their unique playstyle seems like the better choice. Personally, I would at least increase how much Ruin and Spores heal your synthesis'd target for.
    Agree in general, though I'm undecided on specifics (still not having experienced healing a dungeon on the chloro). If it is decided that they need more generalized healing (and that bug I mentioned about DoTs not playing well with lifegiving veil is fixed), then I'd rather see the change come from changes to synthesis, lifegiving veil or some other damage->healing conversion than see it come from lowering the cooldown of their direct heals. Damage->healing conversion is what makes the chloromancer unique. Reduce cooldown enough on the direct heals and they're going to feel more like one of the cleric healers and the game loses some diversity. I'd really rather avoid that if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhue View Post
    waiting on cooldowns
    I don't mean to sound overly mean but I think this sums up the soul

Soul Tether bugged for everyone else also? It is supposed to resurrect someone that dies in the time its active, but when they die I just get a box if I want to resurrect myself. (and im still alive)
    I also think this class could use a little bit boost in the healing department. I also think Vile Spores and Withering Vine could use a little boost or faster cast.

I just specced into this at high 20s, so I might have missed some stuff. Also, how do you guys manage your Mana? I seem to run out in the longer boss fights, and popping potions is the only option. Also between fights to get my mana back, drinking is the only option. But since I just specced into this I might have missed an important skill, any tips?

Put 6 points into Warlock for the Health->Mana and you'll passively heal yourself as you DPS.

Rift Team
    I have a fix for the issue with Soul Tether in the works. It should be out in some form with one of the next couple updates.

I'm not entirely sold that they need their actual heal spells increased. IMO the issue is cooldowns, they need to be reduced significantly.

I'm experimenting with a build for healing. It's 27 Necromancer 24 Chloromancer, and I'm sure you guys know where to put points for the most part. I'll try to find a group to heal, but I highly encourage you guys to try it out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I'm experimenting with a build for healing. It's 27 Necromancer 24 Chloromancer, and I'm sure you guys know where to put points for the most part. I'll try to find a group to heal, but I highly encourage you guys to try it out as well.
    I'll give this spec a go.

I played with the necro/chloro build some. My concern here is this, in order to make it viable to roll as a chloromancer in a raid setting you are going to need a minimum of 32 pts. Picking up Living energy is the reason the chloromancer is justified a raid spot. The ability's 10% reduction to abilities is a key raid buff at this point and will require atleast 1 chloromancer with 32pts on the raid. Once you have this buff covered why would you put a chloromancer in a healing situation on a raid over a cleric.

The other key is having 31pts to get Essence Surge. This is one of the chloro's must have clutch heals. Yes its a 2min cooldown, but you can never argue with the awesomeness that is complete heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontra View Post
    I'm not entirely sold that they need their actual heal spells increased. IMO the issue is cooldowns, they need to be reduced significantly.
    I second this comment. Heal power seemed ok, cooldowns could use tweaks.
    Alternately, maybe, current cooldowns with an 'emergency bypass' ability that would let me instacast my next heal.
    something like that might work instead of lots of individual cooldown tweaks.
    Just trying to think out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by nack View Post
    I second this comment. Heal power seemed ok, cooldowns could use tweaks.
    Alternately, maybe, current cooldowns with an 'emergency bypass' ability that would let me instacast my next heal.
    something like that might work instead of lots of individual cooldown tweaks.
    Just trying to think out of the box.
    you can already spec bloom to be instant cast via talents. I think masking an issue with a quick fix is not the way to go. Better to look at cooldowns on heal spells.

Note: at lvl 22 I have not raided with my current build

Current build: Chloromancer 16pts / Warlock 6 pts (for health->mana)

Observations:

In small groups, 2-5 players, I find the Chloro healing skills an excellent compliment to the primary healers abilities. In a 2 man group chloromancer and tank, it is more than sufficient for taking down rifts and ordinary mobs or group pulls of equal level. The semi-passive % heal affects (even though I am not activating a 'heal' by pushing a button) are a great adaptation to the healer archtype and lets the player focus on dps instead of spamming heals. I really enjoy this aspect of the class. Certainly not a Bloodmage from Vanguard SOH but not your run-of-the-mill healer either.

Solo, I have dealt with up to 5 mobs of equal lvl or within 1 lvl of my character without too much trouble. (not on purpose..lol)

Without shorter cooldowns on the chloromancer heals, I definately would not attempt a boss/raid fight as the primary healer. With the chloro/warlock build I am not sure I would want shorter DD heal cooldowns or you run the risk of making a seriously imbalanced healer with mana recovery to boot. Cast times feel balanced for the most part (Withering Vines? is a bit too slow - but if it had a 'snare' element the cast time would be justified) And the option to spec into (name of skill?) that reduces Blooms cast time is a must have IMO.

In a pinch (while solo.. haven't tried it in a small group setting yet.. and while waiting on Bloom's cooldown), by punching my insta cast offensive skills (generating as much dps as I can) I am able to gain a short boost to health recovery from those semi-passive % heal affects and Veil which is often enough to save myself from impending death or the unwanted mass pull.

I haven't seriously evaluated the combat log to determine if those semi-passive % heals are really healing at their intended rate. (Lifegiving Veil..appears to be ticking for only 1 point of health when activated according to on-screen combat spam). Life Leach (from the Warlock tree) feels balanced - and got a dps boost with today's patch.

The only way I could see a cholormancer being a primary raid healer is if the semi-passive % heals do more healing and or the cooldowns on DD heal abilities are shortened (maybe increase mana cost to balance them and to avoid the 'never run out of mana' healer chloro/lock build?)

P.S.

Stuns/fears/mezzes will be the Chloromancer's bane in PvP.

Dual targeting system (if possible) would go a very long way to making a Chloro build more effective for DD heals. Although I don't feel this is the intent of the class as it currently stands. (The benefits of a Chloromancer come from the passive healing.... or at least it is what I think they intended)

One of the biggest issues I have while trying to heal on mine was doing the lv 50 dungeon forget the name of it off hand but was that your either A. Waiting on cooldowns or B. only your synthis target is really being healed so I had an idea to help the class.

so not to overpower the class but to let it be a viable healer still make a 2nd tier of your synthsis spell and have it be a smart heal so you can cast your normal one or this new smart heal one not both the smart heal one would auto focus your sythsis spell to the lowest hp target in your group/raid and heal them as if they had the normal version cast onto them.

Bascily its just the normal version you cast now but it will smart heal the lowest hp person in the party as if they had your sythsis cast onto them.

Player A. 31% hp
    Player B. 88% hp
    Player C . 22% hp
    Player D. 77% HP

Now if you cast your 8 sec 200% sythisis target dd it would put your large heal effect onto the lowest hp target which would be Player C.

this would help fix the cooldown problem and not require them to increase your heal ammount. you could not jsut dps and heal your party much more effectevly.

and ps I already know I can't spell thanks!

Rift Team
    Quick update on some changes and new abilities coming to the Chloromancer with one of the next updates:
    • Reduced the casting time on Withering Vine to 1.5 seconds.
    • Withering Vine now heals allies within melee range for a small amount over the course of the DoT effect.
    • Empowered Veil now increases the radius of Lifegiving Veil by 5 meters per point spent.
    • Lifegiving Veil and Entropic Veil can now be active at the same time.
    • Lifegiving Veil now generates healing equal to 30% of the damage dealt by the first tick of a Life based damage over time effect.
    • Destructive Growth has been reduced to 2 ranks.
    • New Ability: Seed of Life - Brings the fallen ally back to life and restores 20% of their health. This ability cannot be used while in combat. This is unlocked after spending 20 points in the Chloromancer soul.
    • New Ability: Nature’s Cleansing - Cleanses the ally, removing 1 Disease, Poison, or Curse Debuff. This is unlocked after spending 12 points in the Chloromancer soul.
    • New Talent Ability: Empathic Bond - Links the Mage and the ally affected by their Synthesis ability, returning mana to the Mage equal to 10% of the damage dealt to that ally. Lasts 30 seconds. This requires 3 points spent in the Natural Fusion talent and 25 points spent in the Chloromancer soul.
    • Due to changes to the Chloromancer talent tree, all characters with points spent in the soul will have their points refunded.

An issue I just found today, thanks to some feedback from the server, is Entropic Veil is not working correctly. I've got a fix in, but it will probably be included in the build after the above changes rather than in the same build.

wow these changes sound awesome. I cant wait to test them out. Hopefully this alleviates the 'waiting on cooldown' problem.

+ Reply to Thread