+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Mage Bugs: Open Beta

Mage Bugs: Open Beta

Collating all the ones I've come across here. Please feel free to add to the list!

STORMCALLER

* Arctic Chill: With 3 points in AC, the tooltips for (Eye of the Storm) and (AB/HS) show different snare values. I think the former was 35% and the latter 20% - is this intended? Saw it on Gamma. Have not yet checked on Beta.

* Tempest Armor: Procs do not (always) show up as a reactive ability icon, unlike Storm Shard/Eldritch Armor/Opportunity procs. Hard to track via buff list only.

* Storm Surge: SS is not classified as an AE ability and therefore does not benefit from the AE passives, Frozen Defenses or Tempest Armor procs.

Beta Server: Values used to test:
    54 SC / 10 Dom / 5 Archon
    Tooltip: 522-578 damage per stack

Target -A ------------------ Target B
    No e-stacks: Cannot cast.
    A with 5 electrified, B nothing: 4139 (A) - 2770 (B)
    A + B both with 5 electrified: 4168 (A) - 4234 (B) ------- Observation: SS spreads electrified, but does significantly more splash damage if the splash targets already have 5 stacks to begin with, due to Inductance. Fair enough.
    A + B both with 5 electrified and Ice Shear: 5216 (A) - 5624 (B)
    A + B both with 5e, IS and Hypothermia: 5528 (A) - 5566 (B)
    A with 5 electrified and Ice Shear, B nothing: 5281 (A) - 3000 (B)

* Inductance: Lightning Burst still calculates dmg after it consumes electrified stacks and so does not benefit from Inductance (cf Charged Field). No longer a problem for SS as the new version spreads rather than consumes electrified.

* EotS: Does significantly less damage than Hailstorm. Is this intended?

* Wanted to test Inductance, Frozen Defenses and electrified building with Lightning Arc, but alas, I'm not L60. Would appreciate some input from alpha players: I noticed that LA is listed as an e-builder. Does it add only 1e across the board or adds an electrified stack each time it chains? (ie do you end up with just 1 or 5 e stacks?) Since it is our hardest hitting AE, I'd assume you wouldn't want to waste it as an e-builder but always use it with 5e already on everyone to benefit from Inductance?

Hope that helps in some small way. Thank you again for inviting us to the Betas!

Pyromancer:

Prime: On Beta, Prime creates its own combust stacks, and any combust stacks created by other abilities such as Flamebolt or Fireball will split the stack.

i.e. Dummy has 0 combust stacks. Prime is used, now it has 5 combust stacks.
    Wildfire procs 1 flamebolt is used and creates a combust stack.
    This causes the 'Prime' stacks to split, so you have a combust of 4 and another stack that is 1.
    You use another flambolt, combust stacks now become 3 and 2. You use flamebolt twice more.
    Now the stacks are 1 and 4.

I am not sure if this affects damage calculation, but going under the assumption that combust stacks are additive, I imagine it wouldn't.

How this affects Fulminate and Fusillade I do not know since I've not had time to test it.

I haven't had the chance to double check on live but I do not believe it occurs on live either.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    Pyromancer:

Prime: On Beta, Prime creates its own combust stacks, and any combust stacks created by other abilities such as Flamebolt or Fireball will split the stack.

i.e. Dummy has 0 combust stacks. Prime is used, now it has 5 combust stacks.
    Wildfire procs 1 flamebolt is used and creates a combust stack.
    This causes the 'Prime' stacks to split, so you have a combust of 4 and another stack that is 1.
    You use another flambolt, combust stacks now become 3 and 2. You use flamebolt twice more.
    Now the stacks are 1 and 4.

I am not sure if this affects damage calculation, but going under the assumption that combust stacks are additive, I imagine it wouldn't.

How this affects Fulminate and Fusillade I do not know since I've not had time to test it.

I haven't had the chance to double check on live but I do not believe it occurs on live either.
    This is an expected oddity while leveling. Combust, like most other damage spells, has ranks you just don't have to train it. Essentially each rank of Fireball procs a specific rank of Combust and the same for all the other Combust proccing abilities. While leveling these abilities don't all rank up at the same time so you end up having abilities applying different ranks of Combust. The issue clears up at level 50 and 60.

I'm still searching for a way to have all abilities apply the same rank of Combust regardless of the proccing ability's rank, but haven't found one so far. I'll spend some more time looking into it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Akashar View Post
    * Storm Surge: SS is not classified as an AE ability and therefore does not benefit from the AE passives, Frozen Defenses or Tempest Armor procs.
    are you sure, its been working with tempest armor procs for me... as for aoe passives, in my opinion, its kind of iffy ground, its hard to justify a dmg increase if this is correct, with the spell already hitting pretty hard, esp in single target situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kervik View Post
    This is an expected oddity while leveling. Combust, like most other damage spells, has ranks you just don't have to train it. Essentially each rank of Fireball procs a specific rank of Combust and the same for all the other Combust proccing abilities. While leveling these abilities don't all rank up at the same time so you end up having abilities applying different ranks of Combust. The issue clears up at level 50 and 60.

I'm still searching for a way to have all abilities apply the same rank of Combust regardless of the proccing ability's rank, but haven't found one so far. I'll spend some more time looking into it though.
    That would be great. I saw this when looking at the tooltips for the abilities that give you damage numbers for combust. One would show 517 and another would show 545 (i'm just spitballing here, can't remember the exact values). I didn't get a chance to test on Beta this weekend to follow up and make this connection from the tooltips to the different ranks, but this makes sense and would be beneficial to find some way to consolidate combust. At least to prevent some tooltip confusion while leveling.

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team
    * Arctic Chill: With 3 points in AC, the tooltips for (Eye of the Storm) and (AB/HS) show different snare values. I think the former was 35% and the latter 20% - is this intended? Saw it on Gamma. Have not yet checked on Beta.
    I have this fixed. They should all be a base 20% snare which is increased to a 30% snare with full points in Arctic Chill.

I'm still looking into the other issues though. More info when I've got it.

Perhaps the base damage of combust could be a portion of the character's spellpower or intellect, thus it'll automatically scale as the character levels and gets stronger. Would that be a possibility?

Harbinger ability Rending Slash needs a tooltip clarification.

Reading it from our ability list it states "...increasing the Mage's damage on the enemy by 2% per stack..."

Debuff on the target limits this to Slashing attacks.
    <Vendetta>

Level 56 Icy Carapace halves the damage of the burst effect when using an air ability.
    Level 56 Ignite Damage was 100 less than the previous rank.

This a subtle nerf or bug?

Charged Blade doesnt increase all damage by 10% when specced into it.

The Life DOT from Lucent Slash does not proc LGV

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team
    * Tempest Armor: Procs do not (always) show up as a reactive ability icon, unlike Storm Shard/Eldritch Armor/Opportunity procs. Hard to track via buff list only.

* Inductance: Lightning Burst still calculates dmg after it consumes electrified stacks and so does not benefit from Inductance (cf Charged Field). No longer a problem for SS as the new version spreads rather than consumes electrified.

* EotS: Does significantly less damage than Hailstorm. Is this intended
    I've updated Tempest Armor to appear in the reactive window to be consistent with how other effects like Opportunity and Eldritch Armor are currently functioning.

I double checked Storm Surge and it appears to be getting all the appropriate bonuses it should.

Lightning Burst can be setup to calculate damage either before or after the stacks of Electrified are removed. For now, I'm planning on leaving it setup how it is currently. Changing it to calculate damage before the stacks are removed would require additional adjustments to the damage done by the ability to bring it back down to current levels. In essence there wouldn't be any extra damage that would come out of the change and it is safer to leave the ability as is.

I've tweaked some values with Hailstorm and Eye of the Storm. Hailstorm is still going to be a powerful AOE in large part because of its 2.5 second base cast time, while Eye of the Storm can be cast on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Harbinger ability Rending Slash needs a tooltip clarification.

Reading it from our ability list it states "...increasing the Mage's damage on the enemy by 2% per stack..."

Debuff on the target limits this to Slashing attacks.
    The debuff was wrong. It applies to all damage. I've updated the tooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinsparrow View Post
    Level 56 Icy Carapace halves the damage of the burst effect when using an air ability.
    Level 56 Ignite Damage was 100 less than the previous rank.

This a subtle nerf or bug?
    Icy Carapace for ranks 8 and 9 just had completely wrong values for the explode damage. I've fixed that and they should rank up correctly now.

Ignite rank 9 (the level 56 version) had incorrect damage values. Basically it had picked up the exact same values as the level 60 version. Its been brought back down to where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Domey View Post
    Charged Blade doesnt increase all damage by 10% when specced into it.
    I've found the issue with Charged Blade and have a fix in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightreaver View Post
    The Life DOT from Lucent Slash does not proc LGV
    This is intentional.

Chloromancer: Healing Balance: Talent tree tooltip (30%) and buff icon (20%) do not match. Also, I take it that the five stacks are not cumulative? (20x5)

Thank you for the clarification and fixes, Kervik. A couple of questions:

I double checked Storm Surge and it appears to be getting all the appropriate bonuses it should.
    Could you please clarify? I've tried casting it with and without Hypothermia, which did not affect its damage. This led me to conclude that it is not benefiting from Frozen Defences. Are you saying that this is intentional, and that SS was never meant to be an "AE" ability for the purposes of these calculations?

Lightning Burst can be setup to calculate damage either before or after the stacks of Electrified are removed. For now, I'm planning on leaving it setup how it is currently. Changing it to calculate damage before the stacks are removed would require additional adjustments to the damage done by the ability to bring it back down to current levels. In essence there wouldn't be any extra damage that would come out of the change and it is safer to leave the ability as is.
    Fair enough. That makes sense.

Could you please share your design intention for Lightning Burst? Given that it does significantly less dps than Charged Field, do you envisage this as a "finisher" type ability for the single-target rotation (with some bonus splash damage) rather than as a powerful AE ability?

Thanks again for the heads up.

I did not have the chance to check on Beta, but on Live currently, Split Personality remains 30 seconds in duration even when you have 2/2 Prolonged break.

I think I noted this on Live nd if I hadn't its due to...disappointing circumstances.

Lightning Burst still needs some changes. It is pointless to cast it atm. Just like Akashar said, in AOE situation it does significantly less dmg than LF (which is instant cast). In ST it`s also useless. I`ve just tested it`s dmg - 5x elec, IS, SF on. It does exactly 2x the dmg of Cloudburst. With the new armor Cloudburst will now have 1 gcd so 2 CB = 1 LB. But CB is instant cast and does not remove stacks.

I can`t find ANY use for this spell

One more question for Kervik. Is it intended that Mage GTAOE spells have 25m basic range and Cleric and Rogue ones have 30m ?

It does exactly 2x the dmg of Cloudburst. With the new armor Cloudburst will now have 1 gcd so 2 CB = 1 LB. But CB is instant cast and does not remove stacks.
    I don't think this is true, Lokken. From what I'm seeing: LB = 300-330% . CB - so it's definitely a dps increase to cast LB, even with water spells having a 1 second gcd. Assuming that you can immediately refresh 5 stacks of electrified with Static Nova/E-charge, casting LB essentially gives you a bonus CB.

As for AE: LB vs LF: I just used the L60 Fluffinator after the most recent update. The numbers I am seeing makes me wonder whether (an instant LB followed by Static Nova) might trump (LF) when there are [5 or less] targets. Will try my hand at the math later tonight.

--------------------------

Also: I might be criticizing this and that, but I want to take a moment to reiterate that, on the whole, I think 2.0 mage changes are absolutely wonderful! Thanks for all the hard work and number crunching Kervik!

I don't think this is true, Lokken. From what I'm seeing: LB = 300-330% . CB - so it's definitely a dps increase to cast LB, even with water spells having a 1 second gcd. Assuming that you can immediately refresh 5 stacks of electrified with Static Nova/E-charge, casting LB essentially gives you a bonus CB.
    Did you try it at 60 lvl with new synergy crystal ?

EDIT: Yeah you are right. Either I made some mistake when I was testing it on 50 lvl or it got buffed at lvl 60 compared to CB. CB full buffed does 6500 non-crit while LB can get up to 26k non-crit (it benefits from Hypo while CB doesn't)

EDIT2: Woot. Just made it in time. Beta went off-line.

20.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #20
    Rift Team
    Chloromancer: Healing Balance: Talent tree tooltip (30%) and buff icon (20%) do not match. Also, I take it that the five stacks are not cumulative? (20x5)
    I've updated the description in the tree to show the 20%. The stacks are not cumulative. The stacks represent the number of abilities that will gain the damage bonus from the buff.

Could you please clarify? I've tried casting it with and without Hypothermia, which did not affect its damage. This led me to conclude that it is not benefiting from Frozen Defences. Are you saying that this is intentional, and that SS was never meant to be an "AE" ability for the purposes of these calculations?

Could you please share your design intention for Lightning Burst? Given that it does significantly less dps than Charged Field, do you envisage this as a "finisher" type ability for the single-target rotation (with some bonus splash damage) rather than as a powerful AE ability?
    When I tested Storm Surge with Hypothermia and Frozen Defenses it gained the appropriate damage bonus. I haven't been able to find an effect that buffs AOE damage and does not effect the damage from Storm Surge. I'll check again to be sure though.

Lightning Burst is really more of a single target ability with some AOE than it is a full blown AOE ability. It will still work for dealing AOE damage, but you'll probably see it used more with a single target rotation than an AOE rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    I did not have the chance to check on Beta, but on Live currently, Split Personality remains 30 seconds in duration even when you have 2/2 Prolonged break.
    This is correct. The base duration of Split Personality was reduced to 20 seconds. With Prolonged Break it can be brought up to 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken View Post
    One more question for Kervik. Is it intended that Mage GTAOE spells have 25m basic range and Cleric and Rogue ones have 30m ?
    Once upon a time there was a reason. That reason doesn't really apply anymore though. I've bumped them all up to 30 meters to match everyone else's.

+ Reply to Thread