+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIFT - Patcher, p2p, ports?

RIFT - Patcher, p2p, ports?

Seems to be an option to enable p2p for the patch download now, apprently it uses Akamai NetSession Client but the control panel doesn't have much info and/or options other than disabling it.

I'm wondering which ports it uses and also if theres a way to cap upload speed, at least for me it was way too aggressive so it even killed download speed. Tried enabling and disabling the uploads a few times to make sure and there was an almost immediate effect on the overall connection speed. The faq doesn't help much...

Akamai streaming takes over my network!

The Akamai streaming network client has taken over my network and nobody can run ANYTHING including Rift unless I shut down the Rift beta download, then shut the service off, uninstall it, and restart my machine. Then we're OK as long as I don't attempt to fire up the Rift beta.

I can't make it go away. I disabled it, but I can't stop the service. I uninstalled it, and the next time I restarted the beta download, it reinstalled itself.

It's like I installed a Trojan. And I am tempted to report it as such.

I want to rescind my permission and acceptance of the license ... but there is no way to do that?

I don't want to have to go into my router and attempt to make my machine lower priority. No game should make me do that.

I shouldn't have to wait until no one else is doing network things before I attempt to update Rift. I'll get into the Beta that way, but I don't like that solution.

Update: I let the Beta install, then shut down my Rift client, shut down Akamai, uninstalled it, and restarted my machine. Then I started the Rift beta, and it said "Play", and I pressed the button and Akamai reinstalled.

I think ... the only option to get rid of it would be for me to uninstall the Rift Beta client and start over ... and even that may not work.

I'm thinking, what have I done....

It was such a stupid thing to do.

If you sign up for P2P (peer to peer) networking, you are signing up to be part of the Akami network server farm, at no charge to them and most likely more cost than benefit to you. Don't do it.

Click the options button at the bottom of the beta patcher and you'll notice an option for Peer-2-Peer download. Just disable it, then end the service and uninstall the software and you're done.

+ Reply to Thread