+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not a rank reset but something similar

Not a rank reset but something similar

Let me start by saying that I don't like the idea of resetting everyones ranks, however the thread about resetting ranks got me thinking and I just had an idea that I think will please both sides.

Basically, the argument for resetting everyone's ranks is that new players shouldn't have to grind through ranks 1-50 just to be able to get to the SL PvP gear. The opposing argument is that this invalidates all the work current players put in towards getting to rank 50.

Trion has said that they are going to dramatically increase the speed that players will rank up from 1-50 to compensate, which is nice but overall I think it's a bad solution to what is definitely an important problem. The reason I think it's a bad solution is that grinding out 50 ranks, even if they are really fast, is psycologically a really daunting task. Getting to level 60 and then finding out that you have to grind out 80 pvp ranks can be really discouraging.

Instead, what I think Trion should do is restructure the current ranks, just like they have done in the past, and make it so that instead of 80 ranks there are 20-30.

Basically it would work like this:

Current ranks up to r50 would be reduced to 0-5, and a players rank would be set based on what there previous rank was (I.E.- a r50 player would be reduced to r5, and a r37 player would be reduced to r3 and would be 70% of the way towards r4)
    Mercenary set would still be available with no rank requirement.
    Freelancer armor would require R10, weapons r20
    Warlord armor would require R20, weapons r30

With this change current players would not have all of their current progress invalidated, yet new players would not be faced with a wall that seems impossible to overcome.

I also thiink this is something that could be done at the start of each expansion, because otherwise we could end with a situation 2-3 expansions from now where instead new players of having to grind out 50 ranks, they would have to grind out 150-200 ranks, which is just silly.

I think, when you hit level 60, we should just automatically be given rank 50 status.

Quote Originally Posted by nykolass View Post
    I think, when you hit level 60, we should just automatically be given rank 50 status.
    NEVER!!!!

To OP poster, fast EXP 1-50 is easily enough and after R50 it need be slow as possible, HC PvP players otherwise have full set after couple week and again quit a game because no character progression!!!
    For casual player: REMOVE valor and let global reduction do job, casuals are happy PvP whit their dungeon armors (not BIS item for PvP) when wife finally give 2h gaming time.

The PvP gear that's available at level 60, is quite a bit better compared to the top PvP items you have now and they can be accessed by any rank.

I didn't check the difference in stats, but I don't think the difference between sets will be extremely big.

And with the set being available directly at level 60, the pvp brackets can be set to rank 1-50, because everyone has the same chance in getting the gear when you're level 60, kind off. At least the underpoweredness of players who just started pvp is a lot lower compared to what we have now. They only need to grind a little bit of favor and be meatshields (compared to current situation) and they can be competitive in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Breward View Post
    NEVER!!!!

To OP poster, fast EXP 1-50 is easily enough and after R50 it need be slow as possible, HC PvP players otherwise have full set after couple week and again quit a game because no character progression!!!
    For casual player: REMOVE valor and let global reduction do job, casuals are happy PvP whit their dungeon armors (not BIS item for PvP) when wife finally give 2h gaming time.
    Let me ask you something. 2 expansions from now, will you just tell new players, "fast EXP 1-150 is easily enough". I'm not the least bit concerned with how long it takes to grind out to r50, my concern is that they're calling it r50 at all. My suggestion r50 would be equal to the new r5, and the reason for the change is that to new players, having to grind out 5 ranks seems a lot easier than having to grind out 50, even if they are the exact same length. As for your rant about how long it needs to take to grind out the new pvp ranks, that's not what this thread is about. Start a new thread if you want to discuss that.

Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    The PvP gear that's available at level 60, is quite a bit better compared to the top PvP items you have now and they can be accessed by any rank.

I didn't check the difference in stats, but I don't think the difference between sets will be extremely big.

And with the set being available directly at level 60, the pvp brackets can be set to rank 1-50, because everyone has the same chance in getting the gear when you're level 60, kind off. At least the underpoweredness of players who just started pvp is a lot lower compared to what we have now. They only need to grind a little bit of favor and be meatshields (compared to current situation) and they can be competitive in pvp.
    Using my suggestion you could still have PvP brackets like you are saying, it would just be set at r1-r5 instead of r1-r50. The whole point of my suggestion is that the goalpost aren't being moved at all; R50 as it exists now would be equal to r5 in my system. The point is to make the task of grinding out ranks seem less daunting, and finding out that you have to grind out 80 ranks, even if the first 50 are really fast, will turn off new players.

Quote Originally Posted by WaywardPooch View Post
    Let me ask you something. 2 expansions from now, will you just tell new players, "fast EXP 1-150 is easily enough". I'm not the least bit concerned with how long it takes to grind out to r50, my concern is that they're calling it r50 at all. My suggestion r50 would be equal to the new r5, and the reason for the change is that to new players, having to grind out 5 ranks seems a lot easier than having to grind out 50, even if they are the exact same length. As for your rant about how long it needs to take to grind out the new pvp ranks, that's not what this thread is about. Start a new thread if you want to discuss that.

Using my suggestion you could still have PvP brackets like you are saying, it would just be set at r1-r5 instead of r1-r50. The whole point of my suggestion is that the goalpost aren't being moved at all; R50 as it exists now would be equal to r5 in my system. The point is to make the task of grinding out ranks seem less daunting, and finding out that you have to grind out 80 ranks, even if the first 50 are really fast, will turn off new players.
    You can look at it from 2 sides. You have 5 ranks, each with 1kk prestige each needed and 50 ranks with 100k prestige each needed. Going up one rank with 1kk can feel like a long time, while 50 ranks can take time, but leveling up goes faster with 100k each per level.

+ Reply to Thread