+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A Case for Fluffy in Beta 3

  1. #1

    A Case for Fluffy in Beta 3

    I've been fairly resistant to having a autoleveler NPC in up to this point since testing leveling content especially in the 53-56 range doesn't really need a large amount of people.

    But with the final beta coming I feel that a autolevel to 60 npc is a must for several reasons.

    1.) Endgame. Rift has a TON of endgame features. Hunt Rifts, Raid Rifts, Raids, Expert Dungeons, PVP. All this will need to be rigorously tested. QA and the devs no matter how good they may be simply can't catch everything. And the last thing you want is huge gamebreaking bugs at endgame because it wasn't tested.

    2.)I know Trion in particular seems to want to preserve the mystique of top level content, be it raids or what have you but I think you can't deny the previous experience with this hasn't worked out well for them. Both HK and ID had alot of major bugs because of a limited testing pool. We are talking insanely complex encounters where one small bug can easilly cascade and break the entire thing. I hate more than anything making comparisons to WoW but in this case I feel its necessary. Blizzard quite some time ago gave up on the idea or keeping a veil of secrecy over top level content. And have had open raid testing. I think this sort of thing has become a necessity with the complexity of encounters. It also eliminates the problem of certain guilds feeling that they have a "live disadvantage" over guilds that were chosen to test.

    3.) Class balancing will be made alot easier by allowing players to make max level chars that they may not have a main of. I only really have the one 50. I had a cleric 50 but it was on another account. I've been fairly happy testing my tactician but I've been dying to test out Harbringer in particular but I've only got a level 12 mage. I can't really give any sort of usuable feedback until I get into the 40's where you can use more of the tree. Especially as the game is nearing launch I think opening things up will allow them to do a better job of balancing for live.

    Especially with it being a limited beta (IE only however many days) the only real downside is that it may ruin a few suprises. People who care about that sort of thing will avoid it, no problem. But the potential downsides are far greater. Keep in mind that only a very small number of testers will be able to make it to 60. Most people I am seeing on the beta 2 made it to about 54. The chance of getting 6 levels and being able to get in any real testing of endgame content in 3-5 days is very unlikely. Most don't have that kind of time.

    Something to think about devs as you prepare for Beta 3.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Khellendros View Post
    I've been fairly resistant to having a autoleveler NPC in up to this point since testing leveling content especially in the 53-56 range doesn't really need a large amount of people.

    But with the final beta coming I feel that a autolevel to 60 npc is a must for several reasons.

    1.) Endgame. Rift has a TON of endgame features. Hunt Rifts, Raid Rifts, Raids, Expert Dungeons, PVP. All this will need to be rigorously tested. QA and the devs no matter how good they may be simply can't catch everything. And the last thing you want is huge gamebreaking bugs at endgame because it wasn't tested.

    2.)I know Trion in particular seems to want to preserve the mystique of top level content, be it raids or what have you but I think you can't deny the previous experience with this hasn't worked out well for them. Both HK and ID had alot of major bugs because of a limited testing pool. We are talking insanely complex encounters where one small bug can easilly cascade and break the entire thing. I hate more than anything making comparisons to WoW but in this case I feel its necessary. Blizzard quite some time ago gave up on the idea or keeping a veil of secrecy over top level content. And have had open raid testing. I think this sort of thing has become a necessity with the complexity of encounters. It also eliminates the problem of certain guilds feeling that they have a "live disadvantage" over guilds that were chosen to test.

    3.) Class balancing will be made alot easier by allowing players to make max level chars that they may not have a main of. I only really have the one 50. I had a cleric 50 but it was on another account. I've been fairly happy testing my tactician but I've been dying to test out Harbringer in particular but I've only got a level 12 mage. I can't really give any sort of usuable feedback until I get into the 40's where you can use more of the tree. Especially as the game is nearing launch I think opening things up will allow them to do a better job of balancing for live.

    Especially with it being a limited beta (IE only however many days) the only real downside is that it may ruin a few suprises. People who care about that sort of thing will avoid it, no problem. But the potential downsides are far greater. Keep in mind that only a very small number of testers will be able to make it to 60. Most people I am seeing on the beta 2 made it to about 54. The chance of getting 6 levels and being able to get in any real testing of endgame content in 3-5 days is very unlikely. Most don't have that kind of time.

    Something to think about devs as you prepare for Beta 3.
    I Kinda agree with this.

    But also important imo:
    Let fluffy atleast boost new characters to lvl50. Since the next Beta will be Open Beta, there will be a lot of new players who don't have a lvl50 character(or even haven't played Rift) and would like to see the new content of Storm Legion(since there is only a "small" amount of content for new players in Storm Legion, like dimensions).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    I would like to throw my support for this. As a returning player I've not had time to level a toon to 50 on live that I could transfer to test. I've managed to push a toon to 44 so far thanks to IA's and Dungeon finder but I don't see making it to 50 and having any real time left to test stuff in SL.

  4. #4
    Yeah seriously doubt alot of people are 56. I know I never even bothered because I was migrating gear and items from live to the BETA, so I had to essentially start over.

    Only the hard of the hardcores is 60 right now. This is a reasonable request.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    from NNY
    Posts
    13
    there are already a few guilds that are testing endgame. but since there is still NDA i cant say anything else.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    there are already a few guilds that are testing endgame. but since there is still NDA i cant say anything else.
    While I didn't know this for a fact, I kinda strongly suspected. But that doesn't really change anything. Like I said a few guilds can't adequately test the sheer amount of endgame that needs to be tested.

  7. #7
    As far as gamebreaking bugs etc you should know that they have what are called Alpha testers and have had many of these testers for a long time now who have had access to all dungeons/raids/dimensions so on and so forth. The content coming out is hardly untested; Beta testers on this scale provide a stress test by putting all the values and formulas through the ringer in real world scenarios en mass.

    One of the roles beta testers provide is testing the content that has to be leveled through to point out any flaws in questlines, lower level area mobs and invasions, graphical errors, etc that someone being advanced directly to 60 would simply look over.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    25
    I have not leveled in beta because I do not want to spoil the game for me. I welcome fluffy with open arms and soul.

  9. #9
    I agree. Let fluffy come out.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Magis View Post
    As far as gamebreaking bugs etc you should know that they have what are called Alpha testers and have had many of these testers for a long time now who have had access to all dungeons/raids/dimensions so on and so forth. The content coming out is hardly untested; Beta testers on this scale provide a stress test by putting all the values and formulas through the ringer in real world scenarios en mass.

    One of the roles beta testers provide is testing the content that has to be leveled through to point out any flaws in questlines, lower level area mobs and invasions, graphical errors, etc that someone being advanced directly to 60 would simply look over.
    As I said if you read my post, alpha testers and QA cannot account for all the various bugs across all types of endgame content. Leveling content will be tested because some people like to do that. There is simply to much complicated stuff. The mentality you are expressing is what has bit Trion in the butt before when it comes to testing raid content. This is not like MOP beta where people had 4 months of straight time (IE the beta was always up) to get to max level. And keep in mnd MOP even had premades so people who weren't max level already in cata, could test. Its just the smart thing to do, because like I said they have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by giving more people access to test endgame raids/dungeons etc.

    That being said I suspect they will not do what I'm asking. Something Elrar said in the Defile stream made it sound like they think recruiting a handful of guilds to test experts will be enough.

    You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Definition of insanity.

    Hope I'm wrong.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3
    Any word on possibly getting us a Fluffy to at least start testers off at 50? With the flood of returning players I think it would be a great help to put one in so that testers can get right to the new zones and see what glitches/bugs can be found. Not asking for lot here a fresh 50 with some basic gear that would allow them to survive.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakman View Post
    Any word on possibly getting us a Fluffy to at least start testers off at 50? With the flood of returning players I think it would be a great help to put one in so that testers can get right to the new zones and see what glitches/bugs can be found. Not asking for lot here a fresh 50 with some basic gear that would allow them to survive.
    We will see tomorrow...

    But I really hope Trion would atleast let Fluffy boost new players to lvl 50(atleast). Old and new players(who even didn't have played Rift yet) have to experience the look&feel and content of the new zones in Storm Legion. Something they could look forward to once Storm Legion is released!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Birmingham England
    Posts
    95
    YO! he is back pplz!
    EU PLAYER @ ICEWATCH / SHORTYCOOL / MAGE

  14. #14
    this is not the fluffy your looking for.

    Star Wars pun but while I think a level 50 fluffy is fine, I think a level 60 fluffy is a necessity as well. However on the rift main site they said there would be a level 60 fluffy for the Gamma server for the Sunday pvp max level test. Can probably transfer a 60 over (to beta) and use that to test out some of the max level content after the test is over.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts