+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift in 3d soon ??

Rift in 3d soon ??

I wana buy a 55 inch HD 3d neo plasma , and i want to play Rift in 3d, devs will make it possible ??
    I know my plasma will convert every 2d to 3d but Trion need to think about make Rift available to be played in 3d .

Quote Originally Posted by SaiargJin View Post
    I wana buy a 55 inch HD 3d neo plasma , and i want to play Rift in 3d, devs will make it possible ??
    I know my plasma will convert every 2d to 3d but Trion need to think about make Rift available to be played in 3d .
    Would be totally awesome!

it may be problematic to do.. it's easy to add on soo called "3d" to a pc game.. just as easy as using a 3d tv to disply 2d images in a "3d" format.. but.. it will never truly be 3d. It would take a whole new set of coding all together to render the game in a 3d format that seems native, and not just splitting the exact same images between either eye as 2d-3d conversion is currently done. One must decide which objects, at which angle, during what moments and motions are rendered more, less, or inverse of each other. Blizzard attempted to make wow "3d!!" (I suspect just another marketing gimmick) but failed miserably, at best what you get is the exact same imiage, but at 1/2 the fps, and with glasses on.

If they were able to render in a native, dynamic 3d then kudos to them, perhaps NVIDIA and Sony can help them code for that, since they are arguably the top dogs of 3d media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    it may be problematic to do.. it's easy to add on soo called "3d" to a pc game.. just as easy as using a 3d tv to disply 2d images in a "3d" format.. but.. it will never truly be 3d. It would take a whole new set of coding all together to render the game in a 3d format that seems native, and not just splitting the exact same images between either eye as 2d-3d conversion is currently done. One must decide which objects, at which angle, during what moments and motions are rendered more, less, or inverse of each other. Blizzard attempted to make wow "3d!!" (I suspect just another marketing gimmick) but failed miserably, at best what you get is the exact same imiage, but at 1/2 the fps, and with glasses on.

If they were able to render in a native, dynamic 3d then kudos to them, perhaps NVIDIA and Sony can help them code for that, since they are arguably the top dogs of 3d media.
    You will never see an entire MMORPG in 3D, at best maybe certain scripted events, but that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaiargJin View Post
    plasma?? might as well be watching shadowbox theater...

no really.. there are much better, more cost effective, and durable products with far better resolutions, refresh rates, and in general, capability.

3x70" 1440p@2khz refresh (I might need a 4th up higher angled down...)

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    You will never see an entire MMORPG in 3D, at best maybe certain scripted events, but that is about it.
    yeah.. that was all I hoped for, even from blizzard.. but they really failed on it entirely, its just a box to check.. probably a digital placebo.

although.. a smart step to using 3d for gaming is periphial information, using 3d for pushing all that HUD info off to the side a bit

nVidia have had 3D display drivers for a long time now that work reasonably well with a lot of games (And before that there was third party drivers to do it). I've played Rift (around 1.3-1.5 time) with some old red-blue 3d glasses, and I can say Trion must have thought about it somewhere, as their loading screens were even rendered with 3D.

As long as the option is there to keep it in 2d as well, I don't have an issue with it. 3d gives me headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post

I will say it is very possible for Rift to be 3-D, but don't get your hopes up that they'll share it with us.
    Maelode, Lv 22 male Eth Mage, Pyromancer(main)-Dominator(sec). Secondary role of pure Chloromancer(healer).
    Maelad, Lv 20 female Dwarf Rogue, Riftstalker-Bladedancer(even) solo. Alt role as pure tank Riftstalker. Just got Marksman, not set in.

Rift works in 3D Vision, so it's 3D enabled already.

Quote Originally Posted by Alechiel View Post
    Rift works in 3D Vision, so it's 3D enabled already.
    no.. what you are seeing is a 2d image, being split into alternating eyes.. it is not native or dynamic.. the objects in the middle of the screen, no matter the distance relative to your camera view, are spaced exactly the same distance as objects on the sides.. no matter their distance relative to you.

Just because your tv says 3d, or you can see it clearly with your glasses on, doesn't make it 3 dimensional.

and lol.. while 3d might be "working" you also have no way of knowing if the images are actually 3d or not unless you look without your glasses (in a true 3d image.. you should be able to see some objects perfectly aligned with out wearing glasses... while the other objects that are supposed to be in different fields of view will be split) a good example of this is watching TRON legacy.. though some parts are in 3d.. MOST of the movie itself was not broadcasting 3d images.

same thing happened with tv sales gimmicks back in the day.. many tv's were labeled and sold as HD (because there is no legal definition of HD) when they were no better than 720p at best, then came the 1080i's.. sold by the crate load to customers lacking knowledge, as 720p>1080i for resolution and clarity of detail, not knowing in the slightest that they want a progressive scan rather than interlaced. These types of scam and con gimmicks have gone on long before the xbox scheme, and long before Mr. Bob's Snake Oil Panacae...

3D is real.. and though some products are labeled as 3d, or shown iin a 3d broadcast, does not make it, naturally, 3d.

If a developer wanted to effectively make a MMO in 3D they'd have to build the graphics engine from the ground up with both the 2D and 3D formats in mind. Since 3D is seen by most people as a gimmick it's not really cost effective nor worth the extra effort to do so. I personally don't think it would add much to the experience. Not too long after I got my 3DS I found myself only using the 3D during cut scenes and didn't miss the 3D aspect for a second during actual game play. If 3D was to be implemented in games it would only be used to add depth to the scenery because making objects pop out even for short amounts of time causes causes severe amounts of eyestrain in many people. This is already evident with 3DS games. While the 3DS is fully capable of making images pop out I have yet to see a game use that capability for that reason. Some people on the other hand love the 3D aspect and I see no problem with having such an option available for gamers but unfortunately reality likes to give us all a swift, painful kick in the nuts when we least expect it.

+ Reply to Thread