+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When SL comes, how about making level 21-50 "Buy to Play"?

When SL comes, how about making level 21-50 "Buy to Play"?

When Storm Legion comes out, how about making levels 21-50 into "Buy to Play"?

That could greatly keep the lower level zones packed with players to keep the feel of population in the game world.

1-20 is F2P
    21-50 for B2P with a few additional account limits that must be bought.
    and Storm Legion content is sub based.

Business wise this brings in new players to the game, which Trion would also get a chance to generate money from, while keeping the SL fanbase happy with the traditional sub base design, and getting them the feeling of population growth again, no matter what zone you travel to in Vanilla Rift.

Thumbs down

How about not? Trion seems to be doing well with its buy-to-play/subscription plan, and as a player I like Rift just the way it is. There isn't one game I've played that has gone F2P that has kept my interest for long afterward, as they are all suddenly flooded with advertisements, enticements, gold sellers, etc. The companies running them seem to lose their incentive to keep content interesting and start to focus more on the drips and dregs like costumes, achievement potions, mounts, and the like that generate profit.

Thumbs down

um........?

Thumbs down

Worst idea ever.

SMH yea that is about the stupidest idea ever... RIFT is just FINE... it doesn't need to change its payment methods one bit...

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by knighthonor View Post
    When Storm Legion comes out, how about making levels 21-50 into "Buy to Play"?

That could greatly keep the lower level zones packed with players to keep the feel of population in the game world.

1-20 is F2P
    21-50 for B2P with a few additional account limits that must be bought.
    and Storm Legion content is sub based.

Business wise this brings in new players to the game, which Trion would also get a chance to generate money from, while keeping the SL fanbase happy with the traditional sub base design, and getting them the feeling of population growth again, no matter what zone you travel to in Vanilla Rift.
    I prefer my success in game isn't decided by the size of my pocket book

No, just no :/ We do not pay for access to the game, we pay for the service the developers give (including new content) - and that service will keep affecting the lower level/"vanilla" content for it is a part of Rift as much as the storm legion content.

Those complaining, and the guy with the original idea.. https://rift.trionworlds.com/account...xperience=lite

This is how the game already works and has for a long time. So..Just thought y'all should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Minister View Post
    Those complaining, and the guy with the original idea.. https://rift.trionworlds.com/account...xperience=lite

This is how the game already works and has for a long time. So..Just thought y'all should know.
    somebody wasnt reading the whole thread

Quote Originally Posted by Arkamenitas View Post
    somebody wasnt reading the whole thread
    well it actually is. 1-20 is F2P later on in Vanilla.
    So whats wrong with 21-50 being B2P?

the 1-20 f2p didnt hurt the game for the sub players. why would a higher level B2P model hurt them in Storm Legion?

The reason 1-20 F2P didn't hurt the rest of the players is because they were so limited in their ability. No Mail privileges, maximum 5 platinum, no equipping epic items, no really access to good gear, etc.

For Buy to play to work, several things would have to happen that would be unfair to everyone 21~50 to prevent the system from being abused. There are already enough plat sellers and buyers out there. Making the game cost only $10 to get access to level 50 (where you can make lots of plat very quickly if you have a little talent) would quickly ruin the economy of all the servers because they would move in in abundance.

In short, NO. Plain and simple. 1-20 F2P is there for a TRIAL. It allows people to decide if they enjoy the basic elements of RIFT's gameplay so that they can decide to buy it and pay the subscription if they do, but not have to spend money to find out if they do or don't like the game.

To be honest, I'm totally cool with Lv 1-20 being F2P and Lv 20-50 being sub-to-play (just not buy-to-play).

Because you know what?

The original game client is just TEN DOLLARS now. And when there's a sale? It's only FIVE DOLLARS THEN.

May as well make that stuff free to access, just require a sub to play.

IMO that's much better financial gating of content compared to the nonsense WoW has.
    Maelode, Lv 22 male Eth Mage, Pyromancer(main)-Dominator(sec). Secondary role of pure Chloromancer(healer).
    Maelad, Lv 20 female Dwarf Rogue, Riftstalker-Bladedancer(even) solo. Alt role as pure tank Riftstalker. Just got Marksman, not set in.

f2p = servers full of monkeys, no thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
    f2p = servers full of monkeys, no thx.
    F2P = Lv 1-20 anyway.

Most players will be Lv 50-60, so making Lv 20-50 F2P or 'freemium' isn't gonna hurt servers much.
    Maelode, Lv 22 male Eth Mage, Pyromancer(main)-Dominator(sec). Secondary role of pure Chloromancer(healer).
    Maelad, Lv 20 female Dwarf Rogue, Riftstalker-Bladedancer(even) solo. Alt role as pure tank Riftstalker. Just got Marksman, not set in.

I would be quite an interesting business concept.

Mixing F2P and Monthly fees, limiting F2P to previous expansions while monthly people are a fully xpac ahead.

Add xp potions, services (weekly/monthly mailing privileges or something), maybe dungeon/raid packs, but nothing that gives them access to the current xpac.

Might actually work out. lol Maybe.

Thumbs down

No thanks, not for Rift. There's already a ton of other games that nickle and dime you to death to gain access to content. Rift is one of the few bastions of the regular Subscription model left.

I like this idea very much. Of course the new continent couldnt be alowed to b2p players.

Quote Originally Posted by eventide7 View Post
    How about not? Trion seems to be doing well with its buy-to-play/subscription plan, and as a player I like Rift just the way it is. There isn't one game I've played that has gone F2P that has kept my interest for long afterward, as they are all suddenly flooded with advertisements, enticements, gold sellers, etc. The companies running them seem to lose their incentive to keep content interesting and start to focus more on the drips and dregs like costumes, achievement potions, mounts, and the like that generate profit.
    I like Trion's Rift Lite. It got me into playing with friends for a few months. Now that SL is coming out I have bought SL Infinity and am now have a subscription.

While a total free 2 play would be disastrous, their Lite to level 20 is great.

Their current marketing model is perfect imo.. one of the only games on the market where plat sellers and bots aren't a huge issue, and are rarely seen, when found are dealt with immediately. The fact that there is a free 1-20 trial that lets you see the game and figure out what play style you like best is fantastic and a great way to entice the open minded-non fanatic potential customers to join our community. The overall cost of Rift's clients is pretty cheap as well as the subscription.. paying ~$8 a month for s sub.. and regularly getting free time on top of consistently new content is a bonus..

Rift: MMORPG Refined, and the most bang for your buck.

I have 4 level 50s and another alt on the way there are now 4 different ways to level in Rift
    1. Rifts and Invasions
    2. "Golden Path" Questlines entirely different for each faction
    3. Cross Server Dungeon Queueing
    4. Instant Action

As a guardian at least I found the "Golden Path" questline efficient and fun, each zone had its storyline I never ran into an instance where I was too weak for the area. The golden path holds your hand and sends you from one zone to the next in easy to navigate quest hubs and roads. For me at least this was was spot on, My cleric quested from 1-50 doing every guardian zone, and each dungeon at least once but not grinding for exp.

Once my warrior qualified he leveled to 50 entirely out of Sanctum queuing for dungeons. When he hit 50 I laughed as he had none of the zones explored except the starter zone and zero porticulums. I didnt have to wait in queue long either, with the Faeblight cluster at least, dungeon pops were quick and easy (especially queuing as a tank). The key is whatever roles your class can fill get a soul build to match it and queue for all of them.

You can chase invasions and rifts all day and never run out.

Now there's the Instant Action system that's another alternative to leveling.

If you get bored with the questlines you can roll on the other faction and have an entirely different one

TL;DR I have played UO, EQ1, EQ2, Warhammer, AoC, WoW, and SWTOR to endgame content along with a dozen more to midlevel. Rift has by far the most enjoyable and varied leveling experience out of all of them.

+ Reply to Thread