+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Storm Breaker Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by Cyzo View Post
    Sure, that could be a potential solution, but not all specs need hit and it could also lead to players stacking insane amounts of hit to do crazy amounts of damage. Overall, spell power and attack power would probably end up giving the best and most 'correct' numbers.
    Might I suggest a toughness scaling for tanks as well? Most tanks don't have great DPS gear and it doesn't seem like it makes sense to make tanks switch to their subpar DPS gear to have an easier time dealing with the bugs. Or something else to make it so tanks don't feel useless for half the instance.

So went through it a few times last night. Very interesting dungeon and it has a good mix of your character plus something new. I love the zone event that turns you into a giant NPC of sorts, and this is along the same vein.

For the review we'll start just after the second boss, after you've turned back into your normal selves.

#1) In the normal dungeon, the turrets are hitting for 3-4k damage. In the expert, I shudder to think about it, but that is going to kill a lot of people as all it takes due to multiple turrets targeting the same area is a 1 second lag period and you're done. Meanwhile, you're (likely) trying to kill 3 mobs at once as you progress through the area the turrets are firing down on.

My solution to this is to tune down the turret damage a bit. It should sting, but it shouldn't obliterate the group. On that note by the way, it is very difficult to res there. I don't know if the intent is to make people run back from the zone entrance or not, but that will be the result for groups that lose 3+ members in that area.

#2) The third boss, Telaphalon, is still a work in progress I'm sure. As noted before, the voice over and event the chat spam for dealing with the cannon are not their greatest. This leads to some confusion, although, there are many groups that will be able to simply DPS/heal through the damage gain and ignore the cannon.

My solution is to give a zone emote that pops on your screen. Yes, it's playing to the obvious, but that is what keeps the learning curve down. People will still need to figure out how many waves there are before you go back down.

#4) The fourth "boss," also known as the 1 minute zerg is insane for a rogue tank at this time. Right now, teleport abilities place you under the platform, leaving you stuck and useless. For a cleric, the aggro issue here isn't too bad. For a warrior, a little worse, but not by much.

My solution is to fix the raised terrain issues that are currently plaguing not just this dungeon, but a giant portion of beta as well. I must have put in 8 different areas in which I fell through the world yesterday.

#5) Mob amount on the fourth "Boss." Up until the very last phase where you finally get the prince off safely, you are generally able to handle the influx without deaths. On that last phase before they despawn though, I've yet to have someone not die. This might be due to the fact that I am pugging these dungeons, or that it is a mage healing, but even with support, someone generally dies due to the amount of AE popping around.

My solution is to tone the amount of mobs down a bit. I loved playing DPS for this, but that has got to be harrowing as a healer if you cannot fire off shields or instant heals due to the amount of ground AE that occurs.

Overall: Very enjoyable dungeon.

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #23
    I just made several changes to the onslaught portion of the dungeon yesterday, which have yet to be pushed to the beta server.

1.Fighting through the bottom part of the city is much faster, fewer enemies spawn but they come more rapidly.
    2.The end terrace now just has two phases, the one where the enemies come from two sides at once and the one where they zerg your position for a set amount of time. The last phase has been decreased by about 15 seconds so this should help with being completely overwhelmed.

I'll let art know about the final platform, I've noticed NPCs disappearing inside of it as well. Also, I can tune down turret damage somewhat.
    Dungeon and Raid Developer

I don't think anyone would bother stacking hit for a 5 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyzo View Post
    I just made several changes to the onslaught portion of the dungeon yesterday, which have yet to be pushed to the beta server.

1.Fighting through the bottom part of the city is much faster, fewer enemies spawn but they come more rapidly.

--snip--

I can tune down turret damage somewhat.
    First off, I agree that the vehicles should have scaling as the lack of it violates the game world law of better gear means easier progress over less rewarding content. The sensation of being in t4 raid gear but then feeling like you stepped into a time warp because you entered a vehicle is disorienting at least but easily displeasing.

Second, the turrets killed my frame rate and it wasn't obvious without significant experimentation that the key to dealing with them is constant movement. Giving them a buff or name change or some other indicator of this facet would be good.

This last one might be more about my personal preference, but I didn't feel like the spawned protectors were very effective. Maybe ground marks to suggest where to place them would be appropriate. Regardless, great job on cool mechanics. This place is packed with em.

The number of ground ae's on Baron slag made healing very difficult on our chloromancer. I ended up ae'ing the range npc's and until they would just target me so he would be able to heal...I don't know if that's what is intended, or if they need to be scaled back.

It is a FUN dungeon, I hope it isn't changed much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebasiz View Post
    The number of ground ae's on Baron slag made healing very difficult on our chloromancer. I ended up ae'ing the range npc's and until they would just target me so he would be able to heal...I don't know if that's what is intended, or if they need to be scaled back.

It is a FUN dungeon, I hope it isn't changed much.
    And I thank you for that Jeb that does make chloro healing tricky but still fun. Its nice to not be able to vl/vs spam now we have to plan other heals in dungeons just as with raids. But I do see chloro healing for that bods at lvl 54 getting a lot easier.

+ Reply to Thread