+ Reply to Thread

Thread: auto looting

auto looting

i noticed there was a new feature where after you killed a mob you would auto loot without having to click on it. i think it is a great idea but it didn't always work, is it a work in progress or a quirk? in addition i think if it is by design that there should be some sort of "tagging" for gathering prof that would check to see if you butcher/forage, ect and tag it so you don't have to worry about someone running by and snagging it if your still fighting or haven't gotten up to it yet

for how I understood it, that autoloot happens when you help someone kill something --- previously, the first person to tag a mob got all the loot and the experience (with some rare exceptions); now, if you see someone fighting a mob and randomly join them, even without grouping up, you get part of the xp for the kill and a chance to get some cash as loot.

I personally think it's neat

Quote Originally Posted by Snags View Post
    for how I understood it, that autoloot happens when you help someone kill something --- previously, the first person to tag a mob got all the loot and the experience (with some rare exceptions); now, if you see someone fighting a mob and randomly join them, even without grouping up, you get part of the xp for the kill and a chance to get some cash as loot.

I personally think it's neat
    I don't know if I like the new tagging system, just experiencing it passively.

I can definitely see it encouraging griefers in a way.. unless I'm misunderstanding it, they can just wait around, let someone else do 95% of the work, then run up, AoE the pack and get quest credit/exp/loot.

Is the amount of exp/loot they get dependent on how much they help? Because in one instance I ran through a camp, and my damage shield hit a mob a few times before I left combat, then a few seconds later I got experience for the mob, and unless I'm remember wrong it was about 1.2k, which is what I was getting for my own 100% kills.

Uhmmm were those planar mobs? When I first noticed the tagging system was different (someone was fighting with a huge group of mobs and not faring that well so me and my bf stopped to help, and I noticed the mob's namebar was staying green instead of being grey) I tested a bit in one of the starter areas... I waited for people to pass by and attack mobs, then jumped in and started attacking them too. I got 700 something xp for every kill... I don't remember how much xp being the first to attack gave, but it seems low so I guess it's not the full amount?

On griefing potential: GW2 has a similar system... if you hit a mob, you get full credit regardless of the amount of damage you did to it; even a single hit works. Well, there's no griefing whatsoever in that department; actually, it seems to encourage cooperation and helping random people. I usually tend to expect the worst from people (I work with people, you tend to become that way when you do), and it was a nice surprise seeing players adapting to that system without griefing

Quote Originally Posted by Snags View Post
    Uhmmm were those planar mobs? When I first noticed the tagging system was different (someone was fighting with a huge group of mobs and not faring that well so me and my bf stopped to help, and I noticed the mob's namebar was staying green instead of being grey) I tested a bit in one of the starter areas... I waited for people to pass by and attack mobs, then jumped in and started attacking them too. I got 700 something xp for every kill... I don't remember how much xp being the first to attack gave, but it seems low so I guess it's not the full amount?

On griefing potential: GW2 has a similar system... if you hit a mob, you get full credit regardless of the amount of damage you did to it; even a single hit works. Well, there's no griefing whatsoever in that department; actually, it seems to encourage cooperation and helping random people. I usually tend to expect the worst from people (I work with people, you tend to become that way when you do), and it was a nice surprise seeing players adapting to that system without griefing
    Weren't planar, maybe it was a special mob that would've given more than average had I killed it alone though. And on the GW2 part, that's good to hear, like I said (I think) I didn't really test it, just noticed it in passing, that's why I figured I'd ask where people with more info could answer.

I still feel like a jerk when I attack someone's special quest mob because I need it too though lol.

The auto-loot was looting the coin without having to click on the corpse.
    If the corpse had a lootable item on it you had to click it to loot the item.
    Great feature if you dont want to pass up the coin but also dont want to fill your bags with a bunch of trash. Especially if you are mentored down. I love this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanduin View Post
    I don't know if I like the new tagging system, just experiencing it passively.

I can definitely see it encouraging griefers in a way.. unless I'm misunderstanding it, they can just wait around, let someone else do 95% of the work, then run up, AoE the pack and get quest credit/exp/loot.

Is the amount of exp/loot they get dependent on how much they help? Because in one instance I ran through a camp, and my damage shield hit a mob a few times before I left combat, then a few seconds later I got experience for the mob, and unless I'm remember wrong it was about 1.2k, which is what I was getting for my own 100% kills.
    As much as I discourage griefing and encourage people to just play the game and have fun, I don't think this tagging system will create a problem. If a player wants to tag your mobs for credit and then run off, so be it. But the majority of people will stay and help you kill the mob.

+ Reply to Thread