+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Generic Mana Regen Feedback

Generic Mana Regen Feedback

Perhaps I am being over critical of this, but the fact our mana regen abilities in DPS trees 1) are not off GCD and 2) require you to completely stop DPS and sit there channeling a mana regen ability seems worse than our live situation in those trees. As a side note YES the mana regen abilities in healing trees are a huge upgrade and a nice addition.

Lets look at the Shaman mana regen ability, Ageless Ice...this gives us 7% mana and snares us (the snare really isn't of worry at all, especially since we have a charge we can use to negate it). The problem is we get 7% per GCD and are wasting DPS time (we don't have tons of DoTs running where you can find a good time to use it like SLM for mages). The old Ageless Ice was off CD and regen'd about half our mana pool depending how many melee attacks you got in...huge downgrade.

Lets look at Druid's mana regen ability, Peace of the Forest. This is a channeled ability that gives 5% mana per second for up to 10 seconds. Even if you keep up with it (lets say every 10-15%) you are losing out on at least one...possibly two GCD's every 40ish seconds just to keep at current mana levels. And, like, Shaman there isn't exactly an optimal DPS time where you won't lose a lot of DPS to stop and do this. Similiar to Shaman, the live version of mana regen in Druid is vastly superior.

Now, on the plus side, with our increased mana pools we can go maybe 6-7 minutes before running out of mana, but I assuming raids in SL will be longer than that time frame, at least some of them. I find this to be a problem since I do not believe any other calling has to stop their DPS so frequently to keep at a level mana pool.

Feel free to correct me if you think I am completely off base here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelight View Post
    Perhaps I am being over critical of this, but the fact our mana regen abilities in DPS trees 1) are not off GCD and 2) require you to completely stop DPS and sit there channeling a mana regen ability seems worse than our live situation in those trees. As a side note YES the mana regen abilities in healing trees are a huge upgrade and a nice addition.

Lets look at the Shaman mana regen ability, Ageless Ice...this gives us 7% mana and snares us (the snare really isn't of worry at all, especially since we have a charge we can use to negate it). The problem is we get 7% per GCD and are wasting DPS time (we don't have tons of DoTs running where you can find a good time to use it like SLM for mages). The old Ageless Ice was off CD and regen'd about half our mana pool depending how many melee attacks you got in...huge downgrade.

Lets look at Druid's mana regen ability, Peace of the Forest. This is a channeled ability that gives 5% mana per second for up to 10 seconds. Even if you keep up with it (lets say every 10-15%) you are losing out on at least one...possibly two GCD's every 40ish seconds just to keep at current mana levels. And, like, Shaman there isn't exactly an optimal DPS time where you won't lose a lot of DPS to stop and do this. Similiar to Shaman, the live version of mana regen in Druid is vastly superior.

Now, on the plus side, with our increased mana pools we can go maybe 6-7 minutes before running out of mana, but I assuming raids in SL will be longer than that time frame, at least some of them. I find this to be a problem since I do not believe any other calling has to stop their DPS so frequently to keep at a level mana pool.

Feel free to correct me if you think I am completely off base here
    Yah I noticed that too. Wasn't sure that if in a raid setting bard/archon/other buffs might make this a null point or not though will have to test it out.

Some of our old mana tools were bit much imo. off gcd and just swing away for druid and shammy and if you had justicar then you had purpose, but I dont like our new mana tools. Personally I think they should have just increased to cooldowns so you would use them in more of a emergency situation along with your mana pots then just hit and forget it. Maybe im alone in this regard but I dont think its right to punish us to regen mana, just make them more use it only if you really need it type of deal instead of tap it real quick and keep pew pewing by increasing the cooldowns or some other method.
    Guild Master for The Reckoning (Guardian)- Faeblight
    Content Manager for Rift Craft
    50/50 Prestige Rank | PA: 606 | Score: 7530
    Guardian Characters: Xillean R50 Cleric, Kattie R50 Rogue, Mayladen R45 Mage, Eylisa R25 Warrior | Defiant Characters: Phantasmal R20 Warrior, Jillean 15 Cleric

i agree with you on everything except the "plus side" .. there is no plus side

lv 60 raid buffed oom time:
    Shaman - 3:30 min
    Cabalist AoE - 1:42 min (keep in mind with this mage storm caller will be at 80% mana after 5 min or so)
    Cabalist ST - 3:00 min
    Inquisitor - 2:44 min
    <Special Olympics> Recruiting Mage Pets (with or without their owner) to replace our Cleric DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Byona View Post
    i agree with you on everything except the "plus side" .. there is no plus side

lv 60 raid buffed oom time:
    Shaman - 3:30 min
    Cabalist AoE - 1:42 min (keep in mind with this mage storm caller will be at 80% mana after 5 min or so)
    Cabalist ST - 3:00 min
    Inquisitor - 2:44 min
    Apparently I exaggerated on mana useage, thanks for the correction.

Hm i have mostly tested the Healing souls and my solo spec, so i dont have used the mana return abilities that much, but i dont like the channels of warden or inquisitor, the purifer ability this stacking buff is a nice idea.
    But overall i like the new mana return abilities.. in my role as a tank / group healer in "old" rift, i have hated chloro`s for their mana pool and mana usage, but i had rarely mana issues.
    I just be curious of the possibility to use them in SL Raids.

you know its funny, mages are complaining about their mana regen ability that they cast and it reduces their damage by 20% for 10 seconds

yet for some of ours we have to sit and channel a 10 second ability, effectively reducing our damage by 100%, AND we cannot move for mechanics during that time

the huge disparity between the classes in general leaves a very sour taste in my mouth, i think i'll probably swap my main to mage depending on how much balance happens in the next few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Redcrux View Post
    you know its funny, mages are complaining about their mana regen ability that they cast and it reduces their damage by 20% for 10 seconds

yet for some of ours we have to sit and channel a 10 second ability, effectively reducing our damage by 100%, AND we cannot move for mechanics during that time

the huge disparity between the classes in general leaves a very sour taste in my mouth, i think i'll probably swap my main to mage depending on how much balance happens in the next few weeks
    Lol I heard mages asking if it was possible to run out of mana while I'd be out in 2 minutes. Qq

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    Lol I heard mages asking if it was possible to run out of mana while I'd be out in 2 minutes. Qq
    Mages can run out of mana?^^

+ Reply to Thread