+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General thoughts on the soul changes

General thoughts on the soul changes

I have to say that all of the changes so far feel very positive to me. Certainly the flavor of certain souls have changed quite drastically vs that of live... but I do not think this is an overly bad thing.

Tanking Souls
    Pretty fantastic in general. I love how the tank souls have been balanced together and the new tactical opportunities they present. Immunization alone has me thinking of some really fun tanking scenarios.

Having said that, I think Riftstalker has taken a bit too much of a survivability hit for non-tank builds. Paladin for example has a heal reasonably low in their tree (at 12 points) while the Riftstalker heal is way up at 40 points now. I know that Rogue can dip into Tactician or Bladedancer but it would be lovely to dip into the actual tank soul for survivability builds.

Support Souls
    The Bard changes make me absolutely giddy. I *love* playing Bards... and for the most part the Bard soul in Rift has really felt very anemic. Bard in the expansion feel almost like an entirely new soul and very much in a good way. I will very likely move back to playing Bard as my main role again.

I really like how Beastmaster and Warlord have been given more of a purpose. Especially true with Warrior now having a support class more on par with Bard and Archon.

DPS Souls
    Harbinger is pretty darn badass. I especially like that some of the Harbinger attacks are based on life damage as it presents some interesting opportunities for being mixed with Chloromancer. Having said that, Harbinger does feel a bit too strong at present.

I really love the idea behind the Tempest... but I am having a hard time coming up with builds that have much synergy. You would think Riftblade would be a lovely match, but for example Elemental Precision affects armor penetration.

I love that there are now 3 Rogue souls centered around magic. Being able to take both Bard and Tactician for the non-physical damage talents really goes well with Nightblade. (This may not be the most efficient build... but it is very straight forward)

Defiler is entirely badass and is very similar to what I think of as a "Necromancer". The soul doesn't really seem to fit the "offensive" role its slotted into however.

I also really like that the DPS souls for cleric in general have gotten more focus. The main problem with Druid that I have though is also shared with all the other pet classes. The tank pets never really seem to be able to hold agro off me.

Other Thoughts
    I really like the changes in general. Especially the lowered reliance on macros. I do still use a few macros in my builds but it's *very* nice to see the giant 8+ ability macros go away.

I am finding myself having a really hard time going back to Live

I really like the macro changes too. Now if we could just get rid of all the "Pay attention for me so I don't have to know fights or how to play" add ons then we'd be back to playing a game instead of who can run the best script.

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    I really like the macro changes too. Now if we could just get rid of all the "Pay attention for me so I don't have to know fights or how to play" add ons then we'd be back to playing a game instead of who can run the best script.
    Amen to that

If you don't like the addons.... simply don't use them. If I wanna use an addon to allow me to focus more on my rotation, then that's up to me. If you're an elitist that can do both, then more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurona View Post
    If you don't like the addons.... simply don't use them. If I wanna use an addon to allow me to focus more on my rotation, then that's up to me. If you're an elitist that can do both, then more power to you.
    Yeah, the trouble is when you get asked to do something, and you say you don't use add ons so you'll be calling it when the warning happens in game . . . and then you get replaced because people can't play with what the game tells you and instead rely on crutches to play for them. No add ons, no trust in ability . . . even though the add ons cover up the lack of it.

i just can /sign!

I like the changes to an extent, but why even have the ability to have macros in the game if you don't want people to use them? I feel that there are too many instant skills with no cooldown. I don't feel that it was a bad thing while tanking to have a spammer macro on my 1 key so I could focus on what I'm supposed to do with the boss rather than making sure that my fingers don't get lost

Quote Originally Posted by Unebrion View Post
    I like the changes to an extent, but why even have the ability to have macros in the game if you don't want people to use them? I feel that there are too many instant skills with no cooldown. I don't feel that it was a bad thing while tanking to have a spammer macro on my 1 key so I could focus on what I'm supposed to do with the boss rather than making sure that my fingers don't get lost
    They are meant for things like yelling you're interrupting when you interrupt . . . or putting 2 or maybe even three abilities. It's not supposed to do your entire rotation or cleanse your entire raid auto-magically.

They are meant for things like yelling you're interrupting when you interrupt . . . or putting 2 or maybe even three abilities. It's not supposed to do your entire rotation or cleanse your entire raid auto-magically.
    Or to allow people with disabilities to even be able to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    Or to allow people with disabilities to even be able to play the game.
    People with disabilities can spam fan out fine, no macros needed

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnz View Post
    People with disabilities can spam fan out fine, no macros needed
    My arthritis only allows me to spam 1-3 4 and 5 rarely 6 forget it. Alt or ctr and those not so much either. Right now my dps is normalized with other people at my gear level. And on a fight where I dont have to move its not as much of an issue. I have good raid awareness I do good dps and am an asset to a raid with any of my characters. Heck I raid with you guys on your hk runs with my warrior alt. Having to move to a 6 button rotation is going to hurt physically as well as performance. I'll figure it out. probably just sort out my Logitech keyboard to run my rotation for me or something.

+ Reply to Thread