+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Afraid SL will be a completely different game

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    Afraid SL will be a completely different game

    The massive overhaul of souls and changes to macro functionality concerns me that Storm Legion will be an entirely different game than the Rift that I like. I know some games made major changes that led many to leave (DaOC and Warhammer - I dont know the "vanilla" wow story).

    I have been playing rift since release. I am familiar with it and enjoy it immensely. I am a casual daily player (like the majority of the player-base). The changes to souls are overwhelming as it is. Little tweaks on patches are not a big deal. My entire play-style is going out the window. That adjustment alone concerns me

    Add to it the lack of macro functionality. I know the elitist want no macros so they can be the best. But not using macros at the moment is actually the best/most efficient way to play. Many of these non-macro players have fancy mouses and keyboards that make it easier anyway. If you are handicapped, arthritic, or have poor hardware (small screens, no gaming mouse, etc...) the game will be virtually unplayable. Have you seen the economy? Rift is an inexpensive form of entertainment for some, not a life-style. Most people dont have the money to dump into new gaming rigs and toys.

    I am afraid that too many changes at the same time may alienate a large (if not majority) of the player-base.

    Irie

  2. #2
    Senior Member Elijah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    208
    IMO, i dont think it would be a completely different game, the changes on macros makes the game more like a playskill based game not just hit macros.
    and the soul changes, me on cleris souls iam happy with the most of the changes so i dont feel bad about it.

    i play with a old HP keyboard and a normal mouse and i dont have each ability keybinded, i think it will be a bit settling in period but at least it will be a better gameplay then before.

  3. #3
    seems like my suggestions continue to go ignored

    but like I suggested before:
    Add a Cooldown timer option to the macro commands.

    So each cast will start a Cooldown for the spell used, based on what the macroer decides for the Cooldown to be.
    (example)
    /cast fervent strike (cd:10 seconds)
    /cast bombard (cd:5 seconds)
    Like that. This would give each skill an artificial Cooldown of their own based on macro writer.

    It would be the same as in vanilla, so can't be OP.

    And people that don't use macros can still have the freedom to play as they like.

    This way both sides are happy, since nothing is forced on ether side to play a way they do not like.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    That would be fine knight. But so far it doesnt look like that will be the case.

    I do like the changes in general. I play a warrior and the actually roles the different souls play are completely different. Takings hours upon hours just to figure out how to play again doesnt really seem fun if you only get 2 hours or so a day.

    And the ability to use more than 2 task bars and about 10 buttons is physically all I can do. I'd like to macro, even if it handicaps me. My understanding is the macro-lag already exists anyway.

    I dont want to see the player base erode. Plus I re-upped for a year and would like to continue to have fun. Thats why I play

    Irie

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5
    adding wait commands to the macro system would essentially allow botting, no.

  6. #6
    If you're finding a particular spec too difficult to play without the ability to macro, try omitting lesser priority moves until you get better at it. Start with a few abilities and gradually add them as you get more used to them.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98
    I don't think there will be a problem.

    Right now people are going in blind not really knowing what points to put in, or what spec to run.
    Once the guides start coming out this whole "it's completely different" phase would have passed within a few days, or a few weeks for most people. It'll just be like launch of vanilla Rift.

    As Armine stated, it's a gradual process. With changes like these you don't go in and assume you'll get everything from the get-go.
    If it becomes too difficult to press more than a few buttons, you can always skip some abilities, especially if you aren't interested in progression raiding.
    Marko.
    - Before commenting, please at the very least read the Stickies.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    I'm sorry, I'm newly back. I don't understand the question. I have never used macros so I have not kept up. Are we not allowed to use them now?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Elijah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by shadymae61 View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm newly back. I don't understand the question. I have never used macros so I have not kept up. Are we not allowed to use them now?
    Sure, but now we have many abilitys without a cooldown time, so its harder to play with macros.
    But anyway, as a healer i have a feq like 1-3 macros and thats was it, not a big change for me at all.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by shadymae61 View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm newly back. I don't understand the question. I have never used macros so I have not kept up. Are we not allowed to use them now?
    Nah, you're allowed to use them. The difference is that a lot of skills no longer have a cooldown now, so you can't macro them all together into a 1-button spam macro.

    i.e.

    Before it would be something like

    Skill #1: 30sec CD
    Skill #2: 15sec CD
    Skill #3: No CD

    Therefore if you kept hitting the one macro button it would go:
    Skill #1, then Skill #2, then Skill #3, then Skill #3, then Skill #3....until Skill #2 was ready, then it would hit Skill #2 then Skill #3, then Skill #3...until Skill #1 was ready/etc/etc.

    With the reduction in non-reactive cooldowns and with a lot more skills being instant, you can no longer have long-*** macros with 5+ skills in it because the following would happen:

    cast no-CD skill #1
    cast no-CD skill #2
    cast no-CD skill #3

    What the macro would do would be to continously use no-CD skill #1 and ignore the other ones, because each macro press is read from top to bottom of the list, and since there's no CD for the first skill, it will keep using that skill with each button press instead of go down the list. It only goes down the list of skills if a condition isn't met for the current macro line (i.e., not in melee when the ability is melee, so it skips that; or, the ability is still on cooldown so it skips the ability and goes down the list).
    Marko.
    - Before commenting, please at the very least read the Stickies.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    First thing I did was set up several macros. I don't understand people saying there are no more macros. I never macroed my survival skills or heavier CDs before anyway.

    Coming from a game where there were NO macros having to start to using them in Rift was somewhat of a huge change for me. Going back to a way where it will feel more natural not macroing entire rotations into one button will be a good thing, for me personally. Having very stiff joints in my hands that stiffen even more if not moved it is actually painful for me to smash 11111111121111113111111111 *shrug*

    Two sides of this coin, and this is not a change I look upon with trepidation. The little I got to play on my mage it was almost painful going back to vanilla from beta.

  12. #12
    love the changes and even more i love the new souls....yeah it may feel a bit different but this is nice!You will get used to it

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5
    So this complaint is about macroing and not the game.

    Tbh, to backup your request for macroing with a reference to handicapped people is kind of clever.
    Who could say anything against it without beeing the a...

    But honestly, if you are that handicapped so that each hit on the keyboard is a pain: do you
    really choose to play on the computer then? And isn't hitting the macro-button painful too? Or chatting ingame? Isn`t gaming in genral a pain as well then?
    And finally, if you are handicapped and use a computer you have different perpherie to make things easier for you.
    Just saying and if you wish, feel free to call me a bad person.

    Beside this i don't support the request to add timers to macroing. As already mentioned: this will result in easy botting.

    I like the new souls and do not agree that the game is another after the changes go live.
    The devs try their best to define the roles better and in my opinion they did great work.
    Yes, we players need to learn new skills and new tactics.
    But it still does not require extraordinary cleverness to understand how things work ingame.
    RIFT is an MMORPG and this kind of game never has been static.
    This is a reason for me to play it.

    So RIFT will be RIFT still. We have a larger world and some soul changes / additions. Well and lesser macroing - it is not out of game completely. Just a bit more limited.

    Sounds good to me.

  14. #14
    I like the big soul shake up, relearning builds is fun to me. I don't like the macro changes, there are plenty posts that go on about it so I won't go into endless details but basically it is not fun.
    I found live bard a tedious build, constantly refreshing the motifs was an irritation and made combat boring for me. The new playstyle has replicated this - instead of a hotbar of motifs my reaver has a bar of dots that are to be refreshed twice as frequently.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    The massive overhaul of souls and changes to macro functionality concerns me that Storm Legion will be an entirely different game than the Rift that I like. I know some games made major changes that led many to leave (DaOC and Warhammer - I dont know the "vanilla" wow story).

    I have been playing rift since release. I am familiar with it and enjoy it immensely. I am a casual daily player (like the majority of the player-base). The changes to souls are overwhelming as it is. Little tweaks on patches are not a big deal. My entire play-style is going out the window. That adjustment alone concerns me

    Add to it the lack of macro functionality. I know the elitist want no macros so they can be the best. But not using macros at the moment is actually the best/most efficient way to play. Many of these non-macro players have fancy mouses and keyboards that make it easier anyway. If you are handicapped, arthritic, or have poor hardware (small screens, no gaming mouse, etc...) the game will be virtually unplayable. Have you seen the economy? Rift is an inexpensive form of entertainment for some, not a life-style. Most people dont have the money to dump into new gaming rigs and toys.

    I am afraid that too many changes at the same time may alienate a large (if not majority) of the player-base.

    Irie
    I agree, after playing for the last 2 days it seems the old rift is now dead and we all start again in SL area. I find it sad because it seems like we have to learn a new game. I think Trion would of been better releasing the new souls and changes before SL at least that way were not going in all "half cocked"
    It's hard enough dealing with the new area without messing with soul tweets.

  16. #16
    There releasing the new soul changes in 1.11 about 3rd Novemeber then ya got 10 days till SL comes out. I wish ppl would stop moaning about oh my god i need to make changes to my souls or learn how to play, to tbh they are alot better in many ways. In what way is it different than lvling up or getting a good solid 50 build except for the fact theres nothing you can google and get a win build atm. thats your only problem.

    If your really that bothered about it, smash away at any old ability and do sucky dps till someone can come along and nurse you into ya new build. youll prolly find its better when you play it anyway.

  17. #17
    I can kind of see his point, if you have a programable keyboard or mouse, the lack of macros in game really changes nothing, as you can just put the macros into the keyboard and your done, so you are basicly still playing with macros. Taking them out of the game only impacts people without the keyboards and mice.

  18. #18
    For me it's not a different game. It definitely feels like starting Rift all over though, having to relearn everything, new zones, new currencies etc.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
    IMO, i dont think it would be a completely different game, the changes on macros makes the game more like a playskill based game not just hit macros.
    and the soul changes, me on cleris souls iam happy with the most of the changes so i dont feel bad about it.

    i play with a old HP keyboard and a normal mouse and i dont have each ability keybinded, i think it will be a bit settling in period but at least it will be a better gameplay then before.
    I know people keep saying it's more skill but I don't get it. Which is harder? Bladedancer? That rotation is largely 1>2>3 to 5 CP> 4 and button 5 every 21 seconds. You can throw in another thing or two to min max but just that alone will give more dps than a build where you have a spam macro BUT need to track any where from 3 to 4 DoTs that are on hot keys and if you clip or do not refresh the DoT on time your dps tanks.

    Many people have actually said they prefer the little to NO macros of BD vs Assassin because it is "easier" as you do not have to track all the DoTs. "Skill" and "ease" are certainly subjective.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Siltina View Post
    I can kind of see his point, if you have a programable keyboard or mouse, the lack of macros in game really changes nothing, as you can just put the macros into the keyboard and your done, so you are basicly still playing with macros. Taking them out of the game only impacts people without the keyboards and mice.
    Pretty much this tbh and that is the sad bit. I would rather have a game where people have the choice inside the game. Instead what one has with the elimination of macros is a situation where financial means influences efficiency.

    Please note I have a G510 key board and Naga mouse so I am not QQing over something I do not have. I have access to macros if I chose that others now do not.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts