+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Cliffside Vale:Lore

Cliffside Vale:Lore

So I remember in the lore, the High Elves made a settlement in Cliffside Vale after their previous home was destroyed. If so, is it this Cliffside Vale in Cape Jule?

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    No, I'm pretty sure that Cliffside Vale is the steep ascent out of Cape Jule that marked the limit of the Lycini's explorations into Brevane. It's doubtful that the elves had a civilization here. That sounds like a persistent rumor from an early draft of one of their historians.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure that Cliffside Vale is the steep ascent out of Cape Jule that marked the limit of the Lycini's explorations into Brevane. It's doubtful that the elves had a civilization here. That sounds like a persistent rumor from an early draft of one of their historians.
    You speak in riddles and.. confusing words..

I'm watching you.

Probably really old, but it's possible that's what the OP means.
    Deepwood - Topospell L50 R50 Mage, Topoblades L50 Rogue, Topochain L50 Cleric, Toposword L50 Warrior

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Oh I know exactly what the OP meant. I am well versed in the myth that is Cliffside Vale, and this is an attempt to diffuse that myth. It's amazing how powerful naming something and then not producing it can be. It's like Atlantis or Xanadu, both of which would be quite diminished if you could actually travel to those places.

The Cliffside Vale in the map image was an early zone, produced for a different game. It contains our first stumbling efforts to craft a zone and refine our tools. In fact I don't think our tools even existed when it was made, and the designers beat it into shape typing in raw XML into text editors. Since that time the way we build zones has changed, and the rules for our content, and the lore, and the IP. So really all that is left is this myth that clings to the name.

So please take this as an acknowledgement that the name "Cliffside Vale" holds special meaning for many fans of Rift, but that our plans for the game do not include retreading into that particular lore and we'd like to move beyond it. And we will probably take many of the idea that excite you about that zone that never was, the elven homeland, lost temples, mystery and incorporate that into future zones of the game.

But it won't be in a place called Cliffside Vale. Cliffside vale is all about crazy pyromancers, angry rhinos, and secret fishing spots.

Oh I know exactly what the OP meant. I am well versed in the myth that is Cliffside Vale, and this is an attempt to diffuse that myth. It's amazing how powerful naming something and then not producing it can be. It's like Atlantis or Xanadu, both of which would be quite diminished if you could actually travel to those places.

The Cliffside Vale in the map image was an early zone, produced for a different game. It contains our first stumbling efforts to craft a zone and refine our tools. In fact I don't think our tools even existed when it was made, and the designers beat it into shape typing in raw XML into text editors. Since that time the way we build zones has changed, and the rules for our content, and the lore, and the IP. So really all that is left is this myth that clings to the name.

So please take this as an acknowledgement that the name "Cliffside Vale" holds special meaning for many fans of Rift, but that our plans for the game do not include retreading into that particular lore and we'd like to move beyond it. And we will probably take many of the idea that excite you about that zone that never was, the elven homeland, lost temples, mystery and incorporate that into future zones of the game.

But it won't be in a place called Cliffside Vale. Cliffside vale is all about crazy pyromancers, angry rhinos, and secret fishing spots.
    It probably doesn't help that if you Google Cliffside Vale you get a few Rift wikia websites telling you it was an ancient home of the High Elves.

But, as long as we're talking about plans for old zones.. there's a huge grey spot right in the middle of my map..

Quote Originally Posted by Xanduin View Post
    It probably doesn't help that if you Google Cliffside Vale you get a few Rift wikia websites telling you it was an ancient home of the High Elves.

But, as long as we're talking about plans for old zones.. there's a huge grey spot right in the middle of my map..
    There's a grey spot in the middle of Telara?
    --bc
    HL3 CONFIRMED

http://web.archive.org/web/201101050...high-elves.php is the other source of this confusion, and probably what the other sites drew from... I still think home of the high elves every time I see the name, even though you've made it clear it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrith View Post
    http://web.archive.org/web/201101050...high-elves.php is the other source of this confusion, and probably what the other sites drew from... I still think home of the high elves every time I see the name, even though you've made it clear it is not.
    For anyone wishing for a TLDR;

Though most of the High Elven Heart Grove was destroyed during the war, the Orcri were eventually driven back, and ultimately defeated by the first great alliance of races. The High Elves of today founded a new capital in Cliffside Vale, but sadly the race retains only a shadow of the glory they knew at Telara's dawn.
    --bc
    HL3 CONFIRMED

+ Reply to Thread