+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stormcaller Feedback

It's a little sad. I've always wanted a weather mage, and from the closed beta and the pre-start until now, it's never been a viable soul in pve. Seriously, devs... if you don' like the idea, just delete the soul. Don't leave us hanging on the ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken View Post
    SC skill dmg has to be changed.

I did some testing on Tempest Bay Improved Practice Dummies - 6 dummies with large dmg reduction. 51 SC, 5 Harb, 10 Chloro

5 elec stacks, FS on, 2395 SP

Lightning Field - 11-12k total dmg

Storm Surge - 4300

New 51 talent AOE spell Storm Surge is totally useless. It`s has a 30 sec cd, 1.5 cast time, 25 m range, gtaoe, removes all stacks and does 3 times less dmg than Lighting Field that is instacast, no cd, 30m, targeted AOE which removes 3 stacks only so you can cast it again for extra dmg.

Storm Surge needs a significant dmg boost. And it needs to be huge to make this spell worth casting.

Another test - 5 elec stacks, FS off, 2395 SP

Hailstorm - 9300 total dmg
    Lightning Strom - 13k
    Eye of the Storm - 6500
    Lighting Burst - 2600-3100 (total dmg on 6 dummies)

Lighting Burst is totally useless - both as ST and AOE spell. It does very little AOE dmg while removing all stacks from the target. It`s ST dmg is also very low. With 5x elec, Ice Shear and SF on it does 851 dmg non-crit while cloudburst does 511. Last tick of Raging Storm did a 860 non-crit dmg in the same conditions (SF, 5x elec, IS). For a spell that removes all stacks and has a terrible 2s cast time the dmg is just way too low. A 50 % per elec stack needs to be to restored.

Eye of the Strom dmg is way to low if you compare it to HS or LS. EoTS is a 51 root ability that will eat your full charge bar and has a 1m cd. HS and LS have 30s cd and can be acquired will less point investment. On Live EoTS his much harder than LS and HS so it should be the same in Strom Legion.

SC dmg is still quite bad in PvP.
    If you haven't noticed both the ST electrify stack consumer lightning burst and the AoE stack consumer storm surge are both absolutely pathetic damage.

And i know Kervik that stormcaller is an AoE soul so ST isnt its strong point but take a look at cabalist ST or sabateur ST, its still pretty damned decent.

Why do we mages always have to get the short straw?

And i know i quoted you lokken but this isnt a direct response to you just providing the data you collected to back up my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Virulent View Post
    snip
    5.2k Single target on a test dummy.

Where is your god now?

Thumbs down Brez

I absolutely love(D) SC. The Brez Utility @44 was ideal. Most guild raids ive been on, they don't want a SC even for AOE trash, but with the 44 Brez, it was the only reason they would let me run it full time.. NOW.. its gone. Sucks I have to learn a whole new soul cause there is no viability in a raid situation if said guild(s) don't want a SC. You would think that a Stormcaller would benefit from an expansion called "Storm Legion". Nope...

Don't get me wrong, the AOE damage boosts are great. Agreeing that alot of things need to be changed to up the damage, but a SC is still not viable, even at a utility standpoint since they removed the Brez. Kinda disheartening.. But, with Harb/Chloro I think I won't be left too far in the dust...

Still a sad Panda.

So! I think the Stormcaller not need just focusing on aoe because is/was great for single target damage too.
    I builded a great combination of souls pyro/sc in the "original" Rift. The pyro given a massive boost for my damage in the aoe and in the single target dps, ( pyro's buffs ) and most better was the passive 1 sec global CD. In the expansion dont give those the same great buffs for the Stormcaller or other souls just for Pyro soul.
    I don't like Pyro and for me hard to play with it. Why need to focusing only a specific dps (single target or aoe), if you have 3 different souls in one build? I dont want to see all mages at the "boss" fight to play with Pyro because that is the most single target dps. I know the Pyro is the best single target dps but, with my build i can almost reach the same single target dps and in aoe was better.
    And the aoe: you dont play alone in a dungeons or in raids, so everybody can do aoe dps what mean when you build up the electry/hypo and you want to "bomb" your targets with your instant cast aoe spell until the targets have very low hp so you dont reach the "very best" dps in aoe because the most targets will be dead..and your aoe will be not great against 2-3-4 mobs...
    So, i'd like 1 sec passive global cooldown for Stormcaller, for the single taget damage ( and ofc for your instant cast aoe spell with have no cd / Forked Lightning / ) !

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken View Post
    51/15 SC/Archmage was a beast in mass PvP in 1.6. I also played SC/Dom a lot pre 1.6. Removal of Archmage PvP soul killed SC in PVP (and also 51 Lock and few other specs).
    Killed most of mage across the board tbh. Then rogues and warriors underwent hefty buffing whilst we were largely left to rot apart for a few bugfixes.

I've mentioned this before, nobody cares nobody listens, they would rather just ***** and moan at me instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post

Where is your god now?
    Still here, responding to you :P

I agree with all of these issues, honestly. I've been playing straight stormcaller for quite a while now, and I never really felt like i needed to change to be viable at all, even up trough dungeons. But today i was playing stormcaller as usual, and i was actually forced to switch to using another soul for questing. Trying to deal with typical mobs was annoying enough that i had to do something else. It just couldn't take down monsters with ST spells without eating a good bit of damage and time. And mobs don't group together reliably enough to make AoE a good adventuring tactic.

What surprises me is the lack of issue with Icicle and storm chard nerfs. Icicle used to be a major part of my ST rotation, using stormshard procs to deal pleasingly large hits. And while it's still decent, it's taken a notable damage hit for no apparent reason. Worse WHY DOES IT NOT SNARE? Seriously, when has it's already tragically short snare been a major issue? and while adventuring, that snare is often a big part of survivability. It's that much longer before those melee enemies are eating our faces, and yet now its gone. Just putting back the storm shard damage and the snare would leave me feeling much better about the soul's future and bring back the fun play.

Quote Originally Posted by Akashar View Post
    (4) Eye of the Storm is very lacklustre for a 51 pt ability: Does less damage than Hailstorm, drains all of your charge (whereas you can augment hailstorm with SF), AND has a 1 minute CD. Suggestion: Let it spread Ice Shear to each enemy it hits as if each enemy already had the mage's max number of electrified stacks on them. (ie spread Ice Shear fully buffed and ready to go).
    YES! this is the best idea i've seen in a long time. Eye of the Storm has always been kind of a strange spell, since it has a similar role to hailstorm, and while it's damage ued to be impressive, it was always strange to try and time it. and it's always sucked that the greatest focus of the stormcaller (AoE) has always neglected1/3 of its core mechanics. making eye of the storm apply an AoE ice shear would differentiate it from hailstorm, make itpower worthy of the 51 point investment, and flesh out the soul.

There needs to be a way to build Hypothermia on multiple targets lower in the soul. Hailstorm is the only way to do so, outside of spamming Icicle on every target.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post

Where is your god now?
    Yes, It`s impressive. But it doesn't change the fact that most of deep SC spells are useless. What`s the point of giving us a totally new spell (like Storm Surge) that we will never use ?

In my posts I didn't say that SCs overall dmg is low, just that some of their skills needs to be adjusted to be worth casting so our play-style will be more interesting.

As others have pointed out, a lot of the Stormcaller's abilities simply don't appear to be worth using (Storm Surge, Lightning Burst & Eye of the Storm all come to mind.) The armor buffs also seem completely lackluster. Tempest Armor (58 point investment) looks like it'll proc 3 times less often than Eldritch Armor (4 point investment) & Storm Armor doesn't really seem to provide anything particularly useful for a group environment. The soul also seems to suffer the same identify crisis it has on Live whereby it has snares, knockbacks and movement speed boosts but then requires the caster to stand still to AoE effectively due to Forked Lightning's cast time. This is a huge pain when running expert dungeons where everybody else can (or could - haven't checked) effectively AoE on the move.

Perhaps to make the Armors more useful they could each focus on one of the two key components of the Stormcaller soul. Storm Armor could also remove the cooldown of Ride the Wind allowing the Stormcaller to focus on kiting with the use of Cloudburst. Tempest Armor could also allow Forked Lightning to be cast on the move so that those that spend almost every point in the AoE soul get to AoE as effectively as other callings.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
    Tempest Armor could also allow Forked Lightning to be cast on the move so that those that spend almost every point in the AoE soul get to AoE as effectively as other callings.
    ^^ THIS would be a great improvement.

+ Reply to Thread