+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My biggest and only gripe so far; Questing

My biggest and only gripe so far; Questing

I don't know if it is just me, but what happend to having some quest hubs or flow that leads you across the zone? Why is every quest scattered around in random places? And literally, besides few story quests, the objective is always kill # of X, or collect # of Y.

I tried both starting zones and after few hours of playing in each I couldn't take it anymore.

Is this intended way the quests are suppose to work? Are you trying to mimic Guild Wars2 way of questing by getting rid of quest hubs? Why this drastic change compared to the way quests were layed out in orignal Rift?

I really hope this is temporary and you guys have something up your sleeves, because right now questing is just awful.

No one has an opinion on this? I guess I am the only one.

i didn't much enjoy my time questing as i spent most of my time looking for the items i had to collect/kill.

Yeah I kinda miss the hubs heh. Though really I donlt think it would be so bad if I could find more things to kill. Its frustrating when you spend more time trying to find something to kill then you do actually killing anything.

I don't mind it. My only issue is that the "collect" quests that you find out and about are hard to see sometimes. Some marking on the mini map or over the item in question would be nice.

I understand the reasoning of it. It makes you want to go out and explore more, see if you can find quests and what not. Not make hubs necessary.

I like how it's really just the story quests with immediate gear rewards that are "hubbed".

I REALLY REALLY ALSO REALLY like how it seems mobs aren't "tagged" anymore. Making grinding the carnage quests not as annoying at they could be. Did I mention how much I REALLY like that. lol

But being able to see the collect items (one you have the quest) better might be nice.

Quest hubs... you run out some long distance to find your NPCs and pick up 4-5 quests. Then you run for a while to get to the area the mobs spawn in. If you are lucky, the mobs are close... but almost always by the time you are on your second set of quests from the hub... the run is quite far. You go out and kill the mobs / collect the thingies / click the other thingies for your quests.... and then spend a bunch of time running back just to get back to the hub and repeat the process.

So far I am rather enjoying not having to do this!

I start off by visiting an area I have not explored yet. Once there I see a bunch of mobs which have kill quests for me. Before long I have: 1) Gone through 8-9 kill quests, 2) Found a whole bunch of random quests on the ground to do various things, 3) Run into a couple invasion defense points and spent time building up turrets and killing invasions, 4) joined the instant adventure raid a few times as it ran through me and into the mobs I wanteded, and 5) closed several rifts. At this point I look up at the clock and notice that it's 10:30... and I have not eatten dinner yet! Pretty sure this is an improvement over the quest hub system .

I think part of the problem is Cape Jule. The layout is a bit unintuitive and the spawn rate seems pretty terrible through the earlier parts of the zone. Thigns did get better in the later parts of Cape Jule and then improved even more when I switched over to Pelladane. (Actually in Pelladane I don't think I've had to search for mobs at all... Hopefully the Cape Jule area has its spawn rate tuned a good bit before release.

Keep in mind... you dont have to find your own mobs to get the updates. Assisting someone else (either joining their group or staying out on your own) will also get you credit.

Whilst I'm enjoying the more open "have it your way" feeling of quest or kill in Storm Legion, I do think that there has to be some sort of reinforced underlying story.

I briefly played GW2 and the reason I stopped playing was that you'd get one actual quest that you advanced through at level X, level Y and level Z. If you did the quest at X, you then had to kill your way to level Y to continue it.

Whilst there are a good number of quests (and I just did the whole of Droughtlands on an alt which was a massive grind!), I would like to think these two open zones are to give a flavor of the content (questing, IA, hunt rifts, carnage etc) and that once people have their bearings, there is an engaging story led series of quests to follow,

It uses the same quest system as Ember Isle. The story takes you to an area of the map. In that area you will find 1 or 2 carnage, a collection quest, and a use xx thing quest, more or less. It actually flows nicely, if you follow the story and notice the pattern. It also makes your char kind of have a free will by finding stuff and deciding to do it instead of having someone telling you what to do.

However the quests are just too repetitive.

You still get your Story quests throughout the zones as well as your non-story quests that are grounded with NPCs that lead you to various places and 'hubs'. The only difference is that you get a whole bunch of carnage quests along the way as well as non-carnage quests that you will find by interacting with objects (same as on Ember Isle).
    Marko.
    - Before commenting, please at the very least read the Stickies.

I quite like the system but i had a few gripes with it; i felt that the mob densilty was very low in some places,, making for painful completion of some quests.

The maps dont seem to follow much order due to the change in questing but i suppose that will take getting used to.

Overall, i love the changes to the tagging system, tempest bay is stunningly beautiful and the game runs well once out of the madness that was meridian when the Beta server opened.

I like the new questing system.
    Yes it is exactly the same as the ember island one.
    It as been discussed as a good system and we where many to agree that it is a good one.

I decided to don't do a lot of story quest as i want to keep it for the game release so i can't tell about the amount of story quest.

I think that the NPC density should be tuned a bit. I don't know if it's due to the amount of people running around but it seem quite low. It even lead to some issue to complete ia.

If they make t so that carnage quest don't count in the limit of quest you can havbe at a time it will be very good.
    This questing system allow you to explore at you will. You can choose to pick the quest you want while following the story quest. However with the carnage quest your quest log is full quite fast.
    In my opinion the best way would be to make it so that carnage quest don't count and put several tab in the quest log:
    - general (all quest like now)
    - daily / weekly
    - carnage
    - story / saga

Personally I enjoy this system of questing, I do enjoy storyline quests, but with open world quests everywhere you go there is more incentive to explore everywhere and get EXP while doing so instead of the old:

"So I left my contact lens in a castle guarded by 50 elite warriors, I need it to read my shopping list so go retrieve the contact lens at the center of the dungeon inside the castle and come back to me" **50 dead elites and one lens later** "Ah very good, alright lets see what was on my list.. Righto I need 50 warrior skulls from the castle of doom, be a sport and go fetch those for me."

O_________O

So.. I don't mind a swing away from that method a bit =D

Quote Originally Posted by Caillie View Post
    Quest hubs... you run out some long distance to find your NPCs and pick up 4-5 quests. Then you run for a while to get to the area the mobs spawn in. If you are lucky, the mobs are close... but almost always by the time you are on your second set of quests from the hub... the run is quite far. You go out and kill the mobs / collect the thingies / click the other thingies for your quests.... and then spend a bunch of time running back just to get back to the hub and repeat the process.

So far I am rather enjoying not having to do this!

I start off by visiting an area I have not explored yet. Once there I see a bunch of mobs which have kill quests for me. Before long I have: 1) Gone through 8-9 kill quests, 2) Found a whole bunch of random quests on the ground to do various things, 3) Run into a couple invasion defense points and spent time building up turrets and killing invasions, 4) joined the instant adventure raid a few times as it ran through me and into the mobs I wanteded, and 5) closed several rifts. At this point I look up at the clock and notice that it's 10:30... and I have not eatten dinner yet! Pretty sure this is an improvement over the quest hub system .

I think part of the problem is Cape Jule. The layout is a bit unintuitive and the spawn rate seems pretty terrible through the earlier parts of the zone. Thigns did get better in the later parts of Cape Jule and then improved even more when I switched over to Pelladane. (Actually in Pelladane I don't think I've had to search for mobs at all... Hopefully the Cape Jule area has its spawn rate tuned a good bit before release.

Keep in mind... you dont have to find your own mobs to get the updates. Assisting someone else (either joining their group or staying out on your own) will also get you credit.
    Ok thats good to know mob spawn gets better I was getting worried hehe.

I'm not too sure about my opinion of the questing. On one hand I like that quest givers don't just mysteriously know things about something halfway across the map that I should do. But on the other hand, how do I know, when I see a pile of bones or something, that it is a dead Lycini and that I should collect 10 of them for proper burial? At the point I got that quest I'm not even sure I was told what a Lycini was yet.

It was... odd. I mean I seriously looked around the whole zones looking for a quest hub. I think it's a bit disappointing as well, to be honest. Ok, I had no plan to level up my first toon doing quests, but I wanted to with my alts...

Honestly my initial impression is that instead of giving us more exp for completing a carnage quest or doing some random 'do 10 things' quest, they could just have upped the exp on the mobs and let us kill stuff randomly to level up. It would be less annoying, IMO.

It's kinda funny how we seem to be going back to the EQ-style of leveling and away from quests.

I'll...have to wait and see how this style of questing works..

So far, two notes:

1)Story quests - give them voice acting if at all possible. I just encountered that early Air Story Rift with Crucia and the Queen etc, and it would have been much much better with, you know, their voices! They seem like early versions instead of finished versions, otherwise.

2)So many big '!' marks everywhere now. It's... distracting.

And that's how I see the questing over all now. Distracting. I'm hoping I can realign myself towards this system, but currently, it seems like way too much to pay attention to at once, especially when you add in IAs, zone events, rifts and invasions scattered about...

I can't give a verdict yet
    Maelode, Lv 22 male Eth Mage, Pyromancer(main)-Dominator(sec). Secondary role of pure Chloromancer(healer).
    Maelad, Lv 20 female Dwarf Rogue, Riftstalker-Bladedancer(even) solo. Alt role as pure tank Riftstalker. Just got Marksman, not set in.

In my opinion, the questing flow of Cape Jules could use some work. Every story quest comes from the woman in Tulan and sends you all over the map, then you have to go back for turn in. Its not terrible, but how about some "Empyrean Communicator" or at the least turn in at one of the closers safe zones instead of a trip back.

The quests are pretty uninspired. The story quests don't grab you, there aren't really any cinematic or starting quests that pull you into the game. It doesn't seem like the game has evolved in this area.

Even the starting area in vanilla Rift is much better than that of Sl.

It is just more efficient to grind El to level than to do quests, or even grind mobs in the new expansion area. Little to no incentive to quest.

I hope this questing system is additional to the story questing. Some intresting stories should be there with nice end-rewards for those that enjoy questing (this I nearly didn't see in the beta) and the "found" quest for easy doing (XP-Gaining).

There is story quest: i have only done one or two as i want to keep the story new for the release.
    I have test other type of quest like carnage and the spread out quest and i like it.

Don't forget that there is a lot of marker that are for the same quest as any of the quest object can give it to you.
    in addition it give me the same feeling i had on EI at start : Oh that's a lot ! but as you only do each quest once you progressively clean the map of it and so it's look more "normal".
    In my opinion it's good because as you do your story quest you decide if you want to do the other quest or not. And you now that if you don't do it now it wont take you forever to find the quests you haven't done. (especially with a running around everywhere)

+ Reply to Thread