+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 212

Thread: Lack of macros?

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by knighthonor View Post
    Like I suggested in my thread.

    Add a Cooldown timer option to the macro commands.

    So each cast will start a Cooldown for the spell used, based on what the macroer decides for the Cooldown to be.

    /cast fervent strike (cd:10 seconds)
    /cast bombard (cd:5 seconds)

    Like that. This would give each skill an artificial Cooldown of their own based on macro writer.

    It would be the same as in vanilla, so can't be OP.

    And people that don't use macros can still have the freedom to play as they like.

    This way both sides are happy, since nothing is forced on ether side to play a way they do not like.


    Come on, Trion, read my suggestions. Iam trying to help you.
    I like this option. It would help me out alot and others in my situation, and allow those that dont need it, to not even worry about it.

  2. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    My general impression is that the pendulum has swung too far; it is a common, almost invariable error in MMO's to over-correct when changes are made. Group think perhaps.

    I really like the current system; it means that I don't have to watch the hot bars like a hawk, but now can be more fully immersed, and I can spare attention on such things as situational awareness. I would prefer not to revert to the need I've had in other games to play hot bar whack-a-mole.

    I play a DPS Warrior; a fairly simple soul, but I need at least six macros; single target builder/finisher, AoE ST/finisher, etc. In addition, situational abilities, like taunt or bull rush and long cooldown finishers need separate keys. Talking about single-button winners just muddles the discussion. If someone is trying to do it all with one button, they're already in trouble.

    Another muddler is that simple combat technique is the great differentiator. It is far from the only factor that separates the more from the less skilled. If macros were the only factor, the more difficult dungeons would be just a matter of gearing up, but as we all know, that is far from the case.

    I think the proposed change removes one of the more attractive features of the game, and having tried it, I don't like it.

  3. #103
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1
    Not going to comment on the entire thread as a whole, but I'd like to chime in and support a guildie.

    Dysturbed plays with 1 arm, and a mean chip on his shoulder, and all that means is he has to work harder than anyone else I've gamed with to play at the level he does. I've known him to use a pensil, held in his mouth, to activate temp abilities so he doesn't let his handicap hold up the raid.

    Dreadblade, pre movement nerf, you try moving your character, maintaining heals/dps, AND hitting that ability on queue, with 1 hand. I've seen dozens of raiders who can't manage moving + hitting the ability, let alone the rest ... and that's with 2 appendages.

    I've also seen his display, it's a wonder he can see mechanics with the number of keybinds he plays with and the info on his screen.

    I think anyone who seriously advocates the removal / limitation of macros, and/or suggests disabled persons shouldn't expect to, or can't achieve the same level of skill as able bodied players needs to get a reality check.

    Remove macros, and you lose more than you gain. You lose players who can't be bothered to min/max like the "uber leets" ... ie. the casuals folks. You lose players who came to this game because it was friendlier than others for those with disabilities. You lose players who simply don't like the new play style ... which for some is rather dramatic after 18m of playing with macros.

    What have you gained? A few people can stop QQing about how others chose to play, and start QQing about something else.

    Trion, I don't know why this decision was made, but I hope for the sake of the entire player base that you reverse it. These epeen wielding keyboard mashers don't speak for the majority, so please pay them only the smallest percentage of mind in this regard.

  4. #104
    I was just toying around with my 50 cleric... trying to see if I could get the hang of something else before the next beta. I decided to try the Inquisitor/Cabalist prebuild. I've never been a big fan of Inquisitor, and preferred Melee AE/DPS to Ranged AE/DPS for Cleric on live. However, in the spirit of trying new things, I decided to give it a whack. After spending about 20 mins reading over the various abilities at my disposal I set my ability bars. Finding a rotation I was comfortable with that did as much DPS as I could squeeze out of this thing, I finally settled down and realized that parts of my rotation were in fact macro-able.

    Now with two different bars, one without macros and one with macros. The with macro bar is still 9 keys long, but the one without is a full bar.

    The macros I'm using now do not lower my dps. It just makes it a little easier to manage the same setup.
    =========================================
    Button 1: Spiritual Deficiency (Debuff for extra DPS)
    Macro 2 (Nysyr): Fanaticism, Nysyr's Rebuke (Great chunk of damage to open up with on a mob, when available; roughly every 3 mobs single target in Tulan's surrounding area.)
    Macro 3 (DoTs): Sanction Heretic, Dark Water, Vex*. *Vex also keyed to separate key for pulling multiple mobs for AE with Circle of Oblivion.
    Macro 4 (Light): Strike of Judgment followed by Bolt of Retribution. (SoJ is insta-cast and thus procs L&D Concord faster than the cast-time BoR, once the mob is in melee range anyways as is the case with soloing. In a party, I'd still be at range and using BoR.)
    Button 5: Bolt of Depravity ('Nuff said.)
    Button 6: Harsh Discipline (Can save the arse in solo play if for some reason you get unexpected company)
    Button 7: Aggressive Renewal (Great for longer fights, or fights were you wind up with multiple targets)
    Button 8: Circle of Oblivion
    Button 9: Vex (told you it was there by itself, didn't I?)
    =========================================
    On the no macro bar, all twelve of those spells are on the same bar, except Vex only gets one slot instead of two. lol

    Rotation (either way with or without the macros) is as follows:

    Spiritual Deficiency -> Fanaticism -> Nysyr's Rebuke -> Bolt of Depravity (because by now L&D Concord should be fully proc'd) ->
    Sanction Heretic -> Dark Water -> Vex -> (Applied DoT's)
    Strike of Judgment or Bolt of Retribution until Life & Death Concord procs -> Bolt of Depravity.

    By that point, either it's dead or the DoTs have worn off, so rotation starts over with Sanction Heretic through the end; until Nysyr's Rebuke pops back up for us which can happen on longer fights in dungeons or Hunt Rifts.

    If you apply the DoT's before using Nysyr's Rebuke, you lose out on part of your L&D Concord proc for free Bolt of Depravity.

    With the macros, it's easier to maintain the rotation and thus you mess up less. The only thing you have to be careful about is not double-casting Vex or re-casting it before it has a chance to wear off and making sure you keep Spiritual Deficiency up if you just have to min/max your DPS. Otherwise, it's roughly 100 dps per 3.5k dps... in otherwords... not much.

  5. #105
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by nemecis View Post
    Not going to comment on the entire thread as a whole, but I'd like to chime in and support a guildie.

    Dysturbed plays with 1 arm, and a mean chip on his shoulder, and all that means is he has to work harder than anyone else I've gamed with to play at the level he does. I've known him to use a pensil, held in his mouth, to activate temp abilities so he doesn't let his handicap hold up the raid.

    Dreadblade, pre movement nerf, you try moving your character, maintaining heals/dps, AND hitting that ability on queue, with 1 hand. I've seen dozens of raiders who can't manage moving + hitting the ability, let alone the rest ... and that's with 2 appendages.

    I've also seen his display, it's a wonder he can see mechanics with the number of keybinds he plays with and the info on his screen.

    I think anyone who seriously advocates the removal / limitation of macros, and/or suggests disabled persons shouldn't expect to, or can't achieve the same level of skill as able bodied players needs to get a reality check.

    Remove macros, and you lose more than you gain. You lose players who can't be bothered to min/max like the "uber leets" ... ie. the casuals folks. You lose players who came to this game because it was friendlier than others for those with disabilities. You lose players who simply don't like the new play style ... which for some is rather dramatic after 18m of playing with macros.

    What have you gained? A few people can stop QQing about how others chose to play, and start QQing about something else.

    Trion, I don't know why this decision was made, but I hope for the sake of the entire player base that you reverse it. These epeen wielding keyboard mashers don't speak for the majority, so please pay them only the smallest percentage of mind in this regard.
    I said i wasn't going to post again because i was tired of fighting a pointless battle with extremely close minded and easilly offended people, but your post drove me over the edge so here i am again and will adress your idiot post point by point.

    "I think anyone who seriously advocates the removal / limitation of macros, and/or suggests disabled persons shouldn't expect to, or can't achieve the same level of skill as able bodied players needs to get a reality check."

    Why do i or anyone need a reality check? I'd argue that anyone that thinks a person like your guildy who has is missing an arm should be able to achieve the same level of skill as myself needs a reality check. Can you give me a single real world example of where someone in your guildies situation would expect to preform at a level equal to me without a form of artificial assistance IE in this situation a special mouse and keyboard? That's right you can't because in the real world when someone suffers from a disability they learn to adapt and use the tools they are given or purchase. While this person can expect to be able to resume their preferred activity it is both unreasonable and quite honestly stupid and self righteous if not extremely selfish.

    Staying in the real world for a moment and because it's football season let's analizye a similar situation with two completely able bodied people. Would you honestly expect or advocate for a person who weighs just over 100lbs, trips over their own feet, can't catch a ball that was handed to them, and flies off into the stands every time he's hit to win the Heisman or even play football over the man who weighs 200+, can clear the field in seconds, can catch a ball with 3 people covering him, and can take 3 people without budging an inch? I don't think you would. Grant my example is a little extreme, but it is the same principle as your argument.


    "You lose players who can't be bothered to min/max like the "uber leets" ... ie. the casuals folks."

    Except in the highest levels of raiding where every millisecond counts following a rotation has nothing to with "uber leets" and more to do with proving who is lazy and who isn't, and TBH I'd welcome seeing players that are too lazy to even try leave the game

    "You lose players who came to this game because it was friendlier than others for those with disabilities."

    I can't really argue with this one except to say that these players will more than likely fall under the category of players who say they'll quit but will actually adapt and continue to play. I really don't see a lack of macros driving anyone away especially with how far above other MMOs Rift is.

    "You lose players who simply don't like the new play style ... which for some is rather dramatic after 18m of playing with macros."

    I'll direct you to my above reply. The vast majority of these players will complain, threaten to leave, but will adapt.

    "What have you gained? A few people can stop QQing about how others chose to play, and start QQing about something else."

    What have you gained? You've made your game leaps and bounds better by putting in a combat rotation system that rewards the skilled players and doesn't let those that are either lazy or truly disabled to skirt by pretending they're good. By doing that you open your game up to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of potential subscribers who won't run in fear when the discover that entire rotations can be macrod removing all skill from the game. While this perception isn't true for all classes and specs. A perception is all that matters and when a player sees "here's the macros to use for your rotation" they're going to run. I know i did when i first tried rift oh so long ago.

    So for maybe a few people actually leaving the game over this you open an already amazing game up to thousands more by removing that perception. While this change will probably make it so people like your guildy can no longer hold a spot in a top guild and may be forced to quit(which i hope doesn't happen). It still makes sense from both a business and development perspective. Like i've already said i lost count doing this would allow Trion to get even more players thus giving them more money that both makes their company more profitable and gives them more money for development to make this game even better. So again while this change may suck for the SUPER minority it makes too much sense for them not to do it and i highyl suspect the majority of those affected will adapt

  6. #106
    Well I've not threatened to quit because I never have knee jerk reaction to changes.
    Currently I don't like them and I don't support them because to me it makes combat more tedious. I don't believe it makes things more skillful but whether or not I am wrong on that does not change the fact it is annoying.

    Whether or not I do quit will be purely based on how annoying I continue to find it, I never liked Eq2 due to its tedious button mashing and if rift replicates that feel then I see no reason to play a game in which combat is not fun.
    Because that is the key issue here - is it fun or not.

    Gamemechanics that made games hard in the past have gone from modern day MMOs because they were not fun.( - corpse runs, xp loss, not knowing if a mob is elite or normal, various mechanics that seperated men from the boys all removed come the casual genre of MMOs WoW onwards.

    For WoW players to be the ones arguing for this change is to me rather ironic. The popularity of WoW is what caused MMOs to slide into this casual friendly pit that tries to make everything easier on its players, perhaps because so much else has gone from MMOs they want to cling onto anythin g that might help them say 'i am better than you' to other players that in reality couldn't give a crap.

    I am all for challenge, I like a difficult game, but I also want it to be fun, adding a spamload of abilities does not do that for me and does enhance the gameplay.
    There is already a lot of ddifferencen between great players and average ones, it comes from the timings of abilities and has significant impact on their dps, you have guilds that progress faster and further than others because of the quality of player and their ability to perform their char at their best at the same time as dealing with mechanics, interrupts, purges. What need is there to increase this (if indeed it does, but I know plenty who can cope with a load of buttons to use but don't find it fun to do so)

  7. #107
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    17
    You have guilds partially progressing because they gamed the system for over year and were able to bring one or more less healers. Even the official worlds first maleforge kill was not that guilds first kill.

  8. #108
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    What a bunch of insensitive mother f...er's some of you people are.
    The MAIN point of this thread has become why disadvantage people who need the macros. Who gives a flying f... if other people use it.
    I'm a clicker, I find it more interesting and you can adapt to things better. If you insecure lot think you can't keep up with people using macros well then you lot should f..k off and should think about not playing MMO's, and why are you sick people so competitive to the point you don't want people who need macros have them?

  9. #109
    Junior Member Kitasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Utah. U.S.A.
    Posts
    15

    Wink

    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysturbed View Post
    I use a Logitech G510 keyboard and Logitech G600 mouse. As I stated I'm sure I can devise a method that works for me to continue being competitive, but you are also missing the point...

    We are not asking Trion to "completely modify something"...we are asking them to NOT completely modify something that has been a part of the game from day one.

    I have no problems with Trion removing the ability to put your entire rotation on one macro, because I never did that anyway. I do have a problem with them taking the cooldowns from almost every ability though, as it makes life very difficult for a one handed player even with my top of the line gaming gear.

    I had no intentions of posting in this thread or publicly complaining about the changes, you can ask my guildies in Realm Guardians. I've mentioned it, and my attitude was that "I need to raise my one handed gaming to a whole new level if I want to stay on top". I'm all about accepting a challenge and pushing myself to new levels of skill and adaptation, but I'm also all about responding to small minded idiots who feel that being the best in a game is all that matters in life, even if that means making the game a chore for many players.

    You elitist pricks out there talk of "high skill environments", but that is already in game with top level raid content. Even with the current ability to macro most of your rotation into one or two buttons, a very small percentage of players progress to the highest level content in the game. It takes high skill, awareness and teamwork to reach those levels, and macros do nothing to help you get there if you can't avoid mechanics and work with your team. Those who do make it to the high end content and clear it (myself included) could most likely do it with or without macros, so your argument is flawed. All macros do is make life a little easier for individuals who either need it, or just simply don't like using every key on their keyboard for a rotation. I only use a "spam macro" for when I need to move while attacking or healing during an encounter. In such an instance I have my g510 keyboard auto spam my macro while I move as needed, then when I am not moving I am manually working my rotation to get the most out of it.

    You complain that "Johnny eating his hot pocket and watching MTV" can get as good of dps as you and that isn't fair...maybe you should stop to consider that if Johnny can do as good as you with a spam macro and only half paying attention...then you sir are nowhere near as good as you think.
    ; You are so right People who are needing macros are not in the best of the best. They are not even asking to be. They are saying hey I'm a casual player/raider. I don't expect to be at the end boss of the highest raid in the top guild. I just want to be in the beginning to middle and enjoy playing with my friends. There are so many people who play rift who are over 55, handicapped, or are just as dumb as a box of rocks their fingers are not as agile as other peoples. No one is asking for a one push do it all button they are asking for a hey can I get a 4 or 5 button rotation that will make it so I can still play with my friends and not be carried through beginner raiding.If I could give a thumbs up for your post and a few others in this forum I would
    I love you and you and you and you. I'm still thinking on you however.

  10. #110
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickdayblind View Post
    What a bunch of insensitive mother f...er's some of you people are.
    The MAIN point of this thread has become why disadvantage people who need the macros. Who gives a flying f... if other people use it.
    I'm a clicker, I find it more interesting and you can adapt to things better. If you insecure lot think you can't keep up with people using macros well then you lot should f..k off and should think about not playing MMO's, and why are you sick people so competitive to the point you don't want people who need macros have them?
    And this is what's wrong with the world. I'm not allowed to be honest without being called an insensitive mother F'er.

    As for disadvantaged/disabled players. Aside from extreme cases like the gentleman who lost his arm every other person can and should do what they would in every other game and in everything they probably do in real life ADAPT. I'm so tired of seeing especially in this thread that because Jimmy can't or is too lazy to learn to a rotation and move his hand we should make/keep the game in a worse state instead of telling Jimmy to go get a mouse and keyboard that will allow him to either continue being his lazy self or will allow him to play on a competitive level with the rest of us.

    I've used examples again and again of real world situations where you'd expect the disabled person to adapt instead of changing everything and making it worse. So why is gaming to different? Looking at only brand name top of the line stuff Jimmy could buy everything he needs to compete on anyone level for about $130 before taxes and shipping. That's not a horrible number and easily budgetable for even the tightest of budgets.

    So for the love of god can we just drop this entire thing? It's a change that will make an already great game better. Aside from extreme cases like the gentleman who lost his arm this doesn't make the game unplayable for anyone all it goes is requires a little adaptation something people should have learned to do in their childhoods and something someone with a disability is extremely used to doing.

    So yeah maybe I'm an insensitive mother F'er but when you want to complain to me and say we shouldn't do X because you'll have to learn to do Y to do Z as well as me it really pisses me and just shows how entitled people can be. Let's also not forget that this entire thread has about i wanna say 15 people actively participating so forums being an already horrible way to judge a communities opinion on something just became a whole lot worse.

    To Trion: Keep the change, it will only make your game better and draw in more people when they see and hear rotations are rotations and not some 2 button spam fest. I know i left a long time ago when i heard this and so did many others. I also know when the NDA lifts and i can tell my friends about this they'll come back and give rift a real try. Please also remember the maybe 10 people so adamantly to this change won't actual leave and like most forums are a super minority.


    Well I'm done for real now off to actually test things and give real feedback. feel free to call me whatever you want because honestly idc. I made my point and provided my feedback, and while it's not popular with the few people here as long as trion reads it i could care less what you guys think. so have a good night no hard feelings

  11. #111
    You're rather self absorbed aren't you? Mick was speaking about multiple poeple in the thread in general, not just you, which is basically how you slanted it.

    And then you fail to see that most of the people who are arguing against this change are against it because it's an extremist reaction. Most of us will agree that SOME change is necessary. Even I am willing to agree that only needing to press two buttons is ridiculous... the very reason why my marksman and ranger specs on Live either use multiple macros (ranger) or only two for my marksman, but with a variety of my rotation spread out already. But that is my choice about how I choose to play the game. Even in the beta I've found ways to use a couple macros in specs that do as much (or more, in some cases) relative dps compared to the current setup on Live. (Hell, my rogue hybrid spec uses 12 different macros depending on the situation! 12 of them! ... Like I keeps saying, I like my choices... lol)

    I for one never argued that the change shouldn't be made, I merely advocated not removing the ability to use a function when its use does not harm the player or those playing with them.

  12. #112
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5
    Sanovah, macros keep hundreds of thousands of people from playing Rift? Really?

    Try googling video games and the disabled. I was surprised myself to learn that 20% of casual gamers are disabled (way more than hundreds of thousands and certainly more than a few "extreme cases"), but not surprised to hear that they tend to play more and longer than non-disabled gamers. There are a great many articles on video game accessibility, what video games mean to the disabled (particularly MMOs), and how thinking like yours and RR's only serves to shut them out. There is a sizable movement afoot to make video games more accessible. What does it serve to start taking steps backwards now?

  13. #113
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    Sanovah, macros keep hundreds of thousands of people from playing Rift? Really?

    Try googling video games and the disabled. I was surprised myself to learn that 20% of casual gamers are disabled (way more than hundreds of thousands and certainly more than a few "extreme cases"), but not surprised to hear that they tend to play more and longer than non-disabled gamers. There are a great many articles on video game accessibility, what video games mean to the disabled (particularly MMOs), and how thinking like yours and RR's only serves to shut them out. There is a sizable movement afoot to make video games more accessible. What does it serve to start taking steps backwards now?

    Unless I'm looking at the wrong one the article and survey you are talking about is from 2008 and focuses on games like bejeweled not Rift, WoW, GW2, and SWTOR. So unless you can find me/i can find something that pertains to MMOs or has them as a focus I can't really say that holds much weight in this discussion.

    As for the hundreds of thousands yes. A lot of players in the MMO space are hunting for a game to call home with pandas and GW2 that will/might already be dieing out. As I've also said perception is everything and any good gamer researches a game as well as they can before purchasing. This includes the forums that contain class guides that say "use this macro for ultimate over 9000 deeps". When the prospective player sees this they're going to run. So yeah with so many people looking for a new game and going to in the coming months 100s if thousands of players.


    As for steps forwards or backwards I'm not really going to comment on that fact because the article i think you're talking about is old/not talking about MMOs and i haven't been able to find anything. If you can find my any proof i may consider changing my stance on the subject, but until then I will continue to think of and approach this subject as one in a business and player base light the same way trion probably is. Looking at the subject that way taking into account everything I've said this decision makes the most sense.

    Also there's the thing everyone seems to overlook on this subject. it's not always on the developers and even in todays market tools are available that allow anyone to play at any level. I've only said it like 5 times, but there it is again.

  14. #114
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14

    Hmmm...

    Last I knew Trion was in business to make money. Not pander to elitists or people who beg for an advantage. It's just sad that more people don't log on and voice their opinion on this important issue to let Trion know which direction they should head in.

    It seems to me there are a few camps in this debate;
    Remove macros
    Limit macros
    Keep macros as is

    Instead of picking on people or trying to make some stupid comparison about professional athletes to MMO players, talk about the facts and quit making personal attacks on folks.

    I for one support the use of macros. Why? Because I would think Trion would rather put that control in the game rather than make it a ‘pay for advantage’ by purchasing gear to handle it for you (and you know people would do this). Also, Trion should consider its mass audience; 80 percent of the player base. This would be MUCH better than listening to the few who are posting extreme views in these forums. It's just like a bell curve...gather all your facts and throw out the top and bottom 10% to get a better idea regarding what people think about the issue.

    At the end of the day, Trion needs to make money and create a GAME that is fun for people to play and keep playing.

  15. #115
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Keep the macros as they are on live. If you don't want to macro, that's your choice.

  16. #116
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    I really enjoy the idea to get back of all those macros...
    But i think Trion is exaggerating alot...

  17. #117
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Sushi View Post
    My point, Raen is that removing the viability of macros is not going to change anything. You'll still be capable of dealing the same DPS with 2~3 buttons (with some builds) as you did with a macro. That being said, what reason is there to remove their viability. Leave them alone for the people who want or need to use them and let the rest of us complicate (or simplify) our play-style as we see fit.

    There are different ways to measure "skill" and "growth", "difficulty", and even "fun"...
    For example, Player 1 might say that "skill" was "the ability to maximize dps without a macro"
    Player 2 will probably say "Using rotations and macros to have the best possible dps/survivability/threat/whatever, etc."
    Player 3 will tell you something totally different... and so on for each of those things.

    Some people would say that raids (in equivalent gear for that raid tier) are "difficult, but possible."
    I'll tell you that they're easy... you just have to learn the script. (Or run KingBossMods which tells you what's happening so you can respond in time.)

    I won't try to define "fun" for you. (Which a game should be, if it's not, why play it?) However, I will tell you that what would be the most "fun" for damn near everyone, is to let them play it the way they choose.
    If someone wants to do things the simple way and use macros and be viable in every class, LET 'EM!
    If someone else doesn't like macros and prefers to press twenty different buttons, SO BE IT!

    It's kinda silly to force someone into a play-style they're unhappy with. I'm not going to force you to drink Coca-cola that was made in Mexico because I think it tastes better (they make it with actual sugar down there instead of the corn syrup used in US production)... but that also doesn't mean I shouldn't give you the option to drink it. Or maybe you'll go drink tea because you like it better... It's your option.

    And that is one of the BIG things that TRION has been about from the launch of RIFT was giving players OPTIONS!

    So why take those options away if they don't really make a difference?
    noones forcing you to go through a rotation of 15 skills, pick as many as you like. The problem is you want to have same level of perfomance of player putting lots of effort by just spammign 2 macro buttons,

  18. #118
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteldian View Post
    Ah, so now, all this new 'skill' involved, if you want to compete you need to buy an expensive mouse and/or keyboard as well as give yourself all the Add-Ons to hold your hand with everything. Yes, definitely a huge step forward.

    Sorry, I don't buy it, because it's utter crap. Given that most WoW players have a larger Add-On file than they do actual Game File it doesn't surprise me they think this new change would be good, after all they must feel odd being in game that you can actually be the best without all that crap and without extra special mouse/keyboards.

    As said before, even in the current game the difference between someone who has overmacro'd compared to one who has not can be very telling, there are also plenty of ways to add skill in which does not involved just making a very tediously long set of buttons to maintain like an extended Bard build from hell.

    I am a very capable player, I also have the benefit of a Naga mouse so even at default settings I can easily have a full 12 skillsx3 without effort, so in terms of my ability to play come the change, it makes no difference to how good I will be, but it is still a really crap change which is not enhancing the gameplay, just making it tedious. I already played around with the Reaver build and found it one of the more irritating builds to play, life's too short, playing Live Bard was bad enough, the Reaver is 10 times more annoying. So it is a build I will not be bothering with, not because I cannot handle it, but because I have zero interest in doing so. A spamload of buttons does not make it more exciting or challenging.
    So youre saying you want to compete with capable players by just having 2 macro buttons? fyi 99% of the wow players addon folder is ui customization.

  19. #119
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Last I knew Trion was in business to make money. Not pander to elitists or people who beg for an advantage. It's just sad that more people don't log on and voice their opinion on this important issue to let Trion know which direction they should head in.

    It seems to me there are a few camps in this debate;
    Remove macros
    Limit macros
    Keep macros as is

    Instead of picking on people or trying to make some stupid comparison about professional athletes to MMO players, talk about the facts and quit making personal attacks on folks.

    I for one support the use of macros. Why? Because I would think Trion would rather put that control in the game rather than make it a ‘pay for advantage’ by purchasing gear to handle it for you (and you know people would do this). Also, Trion should consider its mass audience; 80 percent of the player base. This would be MUCH better than listening to the few who are posting extreme views in these forums. It's just like a bell curve...gather all your facts and throw out the top and bottom 10% to get a better idea regarding what people think about the issue.

    At the end of the day, Trion needs to make money and create a GAME that is fun for people to play and keep playing.
    80% of those who still remain in rift maybe, not 80% of the potential subscribers.

  20. #120
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    A solution

    For those with disabilities they make programmable mice with lots of buttons. I dislike anything other than a macro that says something (ie. Some ability in effect or whatever to a raid). And a cleanse macro because it just makes to much sense.

    You can play without macros it just takes practice and if you really, really need them get a programmable mouse and stop complaining. In the long run fewer macros will make the game better and harder. Harder is a good thing for the long term survival of an MMO.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts