+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Grandmaster Crafting Costs make no sense

I honestly don't see this as a bad thing.

Instead of having every single Joe and Jane have every single craft capped because they threw a hundred plats at the AH for all the mats they need from 0 to cap, max level craftsmen would actually be valuable.

... provided they actually make useful things.

Cost wouldn't deter me from capping a craft. Capped craftsmen being a dime a dozen with little to no value would.

My main is an outfitter/runecrafter/butcher.

After 3 days of Beta, I reached 340 in butchering, 330 in outfitter, and 318 in runecrafter.

The only reason I got the last two was help from a guildie who gave me 150 pieces of leather in addition to what I foraged for myself.

I leveled 300-320 in outfitter on lazan cloth bolts, and the initial outfitter recipes. That was about 25-35 plat and every mat I'd manged to get in two days of questing. I spent over 150 plat to get to 330, making leather belts with my guildie's leather and day 3's butchering take. Those belts, and runebreaking every quest reward and random drop, barely got me enough runecrafting mats to level runecrafting. I hit 305 blowing my stock of older mats, and after that is was a painful, painful creep.

When I got to 320 in outfitter, I got to see the first workorder. That gave me a notion of what the devs are intending, and frankly, if my guess is right there and the dungeon gear is on par with crafted gear, I have no real incentive to work on my crafting except to get seal recipes. The time investment is too painful when I'm earning exp dungeoning and get zilch crafting.

Essentially, I noticed while the new recipes all needed 1.6-3.2 plat of bought ingredients and 5-12 pieces of foraged items, the workorder only required 40 gold and 4 mats per. It looks to me like the plan for 320-375 crafting is either you to level with work orders daily, or spend a prohibitive amount of time farming mats and plat.

Guilds as a whole could pick their best crafter in each skill and work collectively to feed them plat and mats to level fast and then be able to gear up their guild, at least on things like seals that don't drop so you have to get them crafted

Since I don't know what even T1 dungeon/raid gear will look like vs T1 crafted, I don't know if there will still be a reason to level crafting individually. For example, I've got a few ID pieces, more HK, and I'm still using three Tormenters pieces - the 50 top-out mage crafted pieces, with the set bonus, are still good enough keep until I get more ID gear. I can't give any more useful feedback on crafting until I know if the same will be true for lvl 60 top-out crafting.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #23
    Rift Team
    Quote Originally Posted by PyraKinetic View Post
    Since I don't know what even T1 dungeon/raid gear will look like vs T1 crafted, I don't know if there will still be a reason to level crafting individually. For example, I've got a few ID pieces, more HK, and I'm still using three Tormenters pieces - the 50 top-out mage crafted pieces, with the set bonus, are still good enough keep until I get more ID gear. I can't give any more useful feedback on crafting until I know if the same will be true for lvl 60 top-out crafting.
    We have continued the item budgeting of Live in the expansion for crafted items. Crafted Items from the same content tier and rarity have the same stat budget as items from other content (rift merchants, dungeons, faction merchants, etc.) before Augments. With an Augment, they are usually pushed slightly better than those items. There will be crafted items in the Expert Dungeon tier of content for gearing up for raiding as well as crafted items in the Raid tier of content - in a similar fashion to what we did with Infernal Dawn crafting.

We will continue looking at the cost vs. reward dynamics of the crafting system and addressing feedback to move toward a better balance between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by PyraKinetic View Post
    After 3 days of Beta, I reached 340 in butchering, 330 in outfitter, and 318 in runecrafter.
    To be honest, is that so awful when the cap is now 375 (I believe?), in three days you've made some strong progress towards the cap. If they're going to make a Grandmaster rank, I don't know if it's unreasonable that it should be difficult to reach (and three days ... if you can be halfwayish towards capped in three days of an expansion coming out, I think if anything it's a bit too easy).

But meh, who knows. I also don't like the idea that it might cost tons of platinum (which you might not make back). Mixed opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Taleen View Post

We will continue looking at the cost vs. reward dynamics of the crafting system and addressing feedback to move toward a better balance between the two.
    I'm glad to hear you are taking the feedback and doing something with it. To be clear, cost vs. reward should not be all about PLAT spent. Cost in terms of time spent to achieve something is perfectly fine. However "rewarding" those with deep pockets is only going to encourage

1) Dedicated crafters to hang it up or at least shelve it
    2) People to farm gold for mind numbing hours just to craft. The fun factor is horrible then.
    3) People to buy Plat for RL monies, including all the standard negatives of that
    4) Large guilds to "fund" crafters advancement. While on paper at the OUTSET of a new game this sounds great, in practice you already have a lot of people who craft on multiple toons and have put in their time to get to the Master level they are at, and will be pissed as hell if you try something that ends up with only a small % advancing further.

You have a pretty robust crafting system in place, please be careful to keep the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    To be honest, is that so awful when the cap is now 375 (I believe?), in three days you've made some strong progress towards the cap. If they're going to make a Grandmaster rank, I don't know if it's unreasonable that it should be difficult to reach (and three days ... if you can be halfwayish towards capped in three days of an expansion coming out, I think if anything it's a bit too easy).

But meh, who knows. I also don't like the idea that it might cost tons of platinum (which you might not make back). Mixed opinions.
    Agree that it shouldn't necessarily be that quick to do... but definitely should not be impossible to do without deep pockets. I would be in favor of slowed progression, as long as it is not limited by Plat.

The item plat cost doesn't bother me, even frequency of materials is 'ok'...IMO, however, the items that cost 60 master craftsman tokens..There's a lot that are 18-30 as well, and I understand the 'best' seal should take a while to attain, but..60 marks? Even if you get 3 week, that's still 4-5 months, for one recipe. That seems like too long to me /shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebasiz View Post
    The item plat cost doesn't bother me, even frequency of materials is 'ok'...IMO, however, the items that cost 60 master craftsman tokens..There's a lot that are 18-30 as well, and I understand the 'best' seal should take a while to attain, but..60 marks? Even if you get 3 week, that's still 4-5 months, for one recipe. That seems like too long to me /shrug.
    Meh, 3 a week. Please ignore grammar too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebasiz View Post
    375 crafting daily gives you 4 master marks
    350 2
    325 1

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #30
    Rift Team
    At 375 skill you will have 2 daily quests available that award a total of 5 Master Craftsman's Marks. If you do both daily quests each day, you can earn up to 35 Master Craftsman's Marks per week.

The current pricing on the 375+ epic recipes is such that an Expert Dungeon tier recipes costs a little under 1 week of daily and weekly quests. The Raid tier recipes cost approximately two weeks of daily and weekly quests.

The amount of recipes per profession has also been improved upon compared to Live. It should be much more balanced across all professions now. I believe the difference between total recipes on the Artisan store is <5 between Artificer, Armorsmith, Outfitter and Weaponsmith. Apothecary and Runecrafter should also be comparable to each other, but the inherent differences between the "equippable items" professions and the "consumables" professions forces them to have a different balance and recipe spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Taleen View Post
    At 375 skill you will have 2 daily quests available that award a total of 5 Master Craftsman's Marks. If you do both daily quests each day, you can earn up to 35 Master Craftsman's Marks per week.

The current pricing on the 375+ epic recipes is such that an Expert Dungeon tier recipes costs a little under 1 week of daily and weekly quests. The Raid tier recipes cost approximately two weeks of daily and weekly quests.
    This is very helpful information! The MCM cost of some of these recipes was giving me the cold sweats thinking of current drop rates (not that is wasn't entirely my fault for being to spendy with them in the first place...).

Thank you so much for listening! Crafting is my fav part of the game and I am definitely NOT wealthy as I hunt for materials to make the items that I need while questing and adventuring. I didnt have as much opportunity to play yet in this beta (rude work) but I found in the last beta by questing / exploring and gathering nodes I came across, I was able to farm mats for crafting. I did have one character exclusively killing humaniod mobs for cloth tho. What was hardest for me was the cost of the bought mats and (for a few things) the amount of harvested mats needed for a single item.

Revisiting this after getting a chance to be in game yesterday. Definitely a fan of harder to harvest / find mats than having to spend more $$ on vendor purchased mats Hunting in areas less populated yesterday as the masses have already moved on, I found nodes to harvest plentiful. Re cloth drops we want to be careful not to reduce the drop rate of the higher end cloth in favor of more lower end cloth too much. Also dont need the AH to be flooded w xtra mats so that the value of them becomes so little. It shouldnt be stupid easy to become a Grandmaster but also shouldnt cost a fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrefly View Post
    I honestly don't see this as a bad thing.

Instead of having every single Joe and Jane have every single craft capped because they threw a hundred plats at the AH for all the mats they need from 0 to cap, max level craftsmen would actually be valuable.

... provided they actually make useful things.

Cost wouldn't deter me from capping a craft. Capped craftsmen being a dime a dozen with little to no value would.
    I totally agree. I liked the fact the crafting was going to be slightly prohibitive so that maybe, just maybe being a grandmaster crafter meant something. Once you dumb everything down in a game so that it takes little to no effort / expense to attain then you have attained nothing and it becomes worthless.

I see it in schools and now in games, everyone in the race gets a ribbon and no one wins. If everything is made easy then what's the point?

Heck, runecrafting used to be worth something early on, then all the recipes I ran countless dungeons to get were made boe and every joe could have them with no effort so what happened? The prices on runes plummeted with skinning bots making endless parts for no expense, destroying the market and rendering the craft useless, profitless and pointless.

Having crafting be difficult or an object being rare so not everyone can have it makes it worth something. When you hand everyone everything on a silver platter it all becomes worthless. Working to achieve something is the reward. I don't want a ribbon for last place.

+ Reply to Thread