+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Grandmaster Crafting Costs make no sense

Grandmaster Crafting Costs make no sense

The amount of materials required for crafting anything above master level are ridiculous compared to the previous pattern of gradual increase in the number of materials.

Purchased recipes (those bought with marks/Mastercraftsman Marks/etc.) were of course more expensive in materials, but were stronger than the equivalent gear available through crafting otherwise.

My main problem with this is that pre-301 recipes cost and sell for roughly the same amount on the current Live game. This is not the case with the new recipes, especially those we have to level on... for example (with comparison):

Soulbind Brigandine: Soulbind Leather x3, Spell-spun Silk x1, Mineral Oil x1 (19silver and a little bit of farming)

Dense Leather Brigandine: Dense Leather x 6, Lanzan Cloth x 5, and 4 plat of Vendor goods... The bloody things only sell for 1 plat! If they sold for 3~4 plat, this wouldn't be so upsetting.

Also... the various materials you can farm up are only worth 1 silver to the merchant now... >> I really hope that's not a final price...

I noticed the cost can be very high last night a stack of the craft items at 40g a pop was costing me 39plat just for a 99 stack as most recipes need between 9-11 (both types Flux & Stones) for that price per stack you will make roughly 19 items at the average of 5 each per crafted item.

Take for example the Gantimite Halberd uses 5x Adamant Grinding Stone and 6x Active Flux a total cost of 4 plat 40g the item vendor's for 1plat 63g 65s.

Also I will add that the items when salvaged are giving back higher level materials than originally used in the plan the Halberd for example was giving back Madrosa Lumber when none is used in that craft.

PLEASE Trion, don't assume us crafters are sitting on wads of cash going into the expansion. You don't need to put in a money sink, nor slow crafting progression by making it too damn expensive to even craft the skillup throw aways. Some of us have not been stashing away money, and this is going to be really annoying if we can't primarily advance 301+ just by farming the mats. Unless the mobs out in the new lands start dropping a LOT more valuable grey loot.

Exactly Gaborn.
    Honestly, I lost all interest in crafting after that first item just because it's prohibitively expensive. It makes you not want to craft anymore.

Going from 6 materials to over 20 in one tier is just ridiculous. and even the pieces that would be 'smaller' like helmets or gloves are that material hungry as well... I'm not going to spend the entire beta (or an equivilent time in Live) just trying to farm up materials so I can make a few chest pieces.. >>

Edit:
    Also... just so I don't come off as being completely bitter... the only pieces that come near the numeric material costs of basic greens just past 300 are Set gear pieces (Deathbringer, Keeper, Etc.). These pieces are epic... and require patience (or a guild) to make. But they are worth the wait comparatively speaking. In fact, when someone hits 50 on live, my guild comes together to craft the set of their choice as a gift for hitting 50, and a push into raid content (not that we force them into it if they don't want to.)

I remember reading one of the recent interviews that there were going to be some changes to crafting to make it more robust or something. Does anyone see any changes so far other than the inflated material cost to craft items? I'm not seeing any additional mechanics, experimentation, discovery at all and it's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by xiuno View Post
    I remember reading one of the recent interviews that there were going to be some changes to crafting to make it more robust or something. Does anyone see any changes so far other than the inflated material cost to craft items? I'm not seeing any additional mechanics, experimentation, discovery at all and it's disappointing.
    Not seen anything robust about it so far there are less over all farmed materials from what I can see there are 3 herbs, 3 woods and 3 metals I have only seen the 2 gems so far but with a metal node not in the starter zones I would assume there are 4 in all (I will check the artificer plans). Some nice new additonal crafts as in the Weaponsmith now can make augments which look over all to be very decent.

In all last night I used about 80 plat buying the craft gear and over 99 Gantimite bars and Linden Lumber and got 14 skill ups I can now make the 310 bows but as I have not found a single Lanzan cloth im stuck (the bows need 5 each). I'll keep updating this as I move along see if it gets cheaper/easier at any point.

I farmed for butcher supplies/outfitter supplies last night and during my 2 hour session, I got around 75 dense hides and 4 lanzan cloth. I know hides have usually been easy to get when they are lower level mats and the area I was in was full of beasts. The issue isn't the hides for me it's the drop rate on the cloth 4 in 2 hours is a bit low I think. Especially with the requirements for 1 piece being 4 bolts (which would be 8 cloth) while dense leather it only takes 1 dense hide to make 1 leather. While I think it should take a while to reach grandmaster, the drop rate on cloth will make it a very slow process. And I agree it is expensive for vendor goods compared to what you get back out of it. I may be a crafter in almost every trade, but I usually have about 100p at most because of raiding and other things.
    Kylarianna@greybriar black company all the way baby:)

I believe the cost for artisan marks to master marks is supposed to change from 500 to 400 once this goes live. Additionallly, Truehide leather is rarer then ironhide. I spent a greater portion of leveling up twice killing beasts to skin, and I have less than 10 pieces of it.

yeah I only got 1 truehide in that 2 hours of farming as well forgot to mention that
    Kylarianna@greybriar black company all the way baby:)

I dont think we have seen the crafting quests yet. I would think that bassed off the prices of crafting items, that we will be getting an increased amount of master marks, and the addition of grandmaster marks. I wouldnt worry to much about what we are seeing now without seeing the quests and what they reward
    GunnyWood
    Rift Riders Guild Leader
    DeepWood Guardian-Warrior

The vendor prices for materials combined with the scarcity of materials dropping makes me shudder, because i want to play my games for fun, not let them be hard work to grind up tons of money and farm for materials hours on end.
    Really hope the expensive vendor materials are simply just placeholder prices.

I have tried to see the logic in pricing, but it just doesnt pencil out. Why pay for an item that costs 3-4p to make when you can get something of similar quality for free just by playing the game? Currently crafting looks like one huge money sink to me, with very little to show for the cost/effort.

Given the time it takes to gather all the mats and the cost of vendor components for skill point items which will end up salvaged, getting a single metal scrap from the salvaging process is not kind. Turning crafting into a time and money sink is not going to thrill the crafting community. Where's the fun?

I had really hoped to see crafting evolve in this expansion into Rift crafting. So many possibilities but similar to the implementation of fishing all we have are the very base mechanics.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Rift Team
    This is a lot of good feedback.

Over the next week or so I will take a look at balancing out some of the issues raised such as:

Lowering the material costs of the earlier recipes (especially in terms of purchased materials).
    Increasing the node population/spawn rate and material drop rates (although some of this may be solved by getting those floating/buried harvest nodes into their proper places - I also have a suspicion that there is a bug somewhere in the cloth drop rates because they should not be that low).
    Adjusting the prices of materials and items (both increasing the vendor buy prices of harvest materials and lowering the vendor sell price of purchased materials).

Hopefully some minor tweaks here and there can get the system back into a good balance between cost and reward.

I am especially glad to hear the early recipes will require less vendor mats, since the prohibitive cost of leveling up was one of the bigger barriers to making this all worthwhile IMO.

I also found that the outfiter was very hard to level up cause of cloth drop rate. I was able to get to level 330 which took about 2 days and found the reward vs time invested was not worth it.

Ditto about the vendor mat costs. I spent hours farming only to discover it was absolutely pointless in attempting to level up my professions because of vendor item cost and how MANY items were required for a single recipe. Like 7 pieces of leather. I mean I get that it seems only logical for the number of leathers/cloths required to increase but the drop rate has to somehow go up with the "inflation" of materials per item made.
    Sunshine and smiles,
    Shannon
    Lirra 50 Rogue | Chiana 50 Cleric | Ruala 50 Mage on Defiant Faeblight in <Nocturne>
    Owner of Rift-Craft.com for Rift Crafting Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Taleen View Post
    This is a lot of good feedback.
    Taleen thank you for posting.

I have been doing weaponsmith crafting and the main problems I have found is the high amount of gems and cloth needed per item some items require 5 Tormalines each or 5 cloth (I understand cloth rates will now be looked at) the gem rate might either want tweaking to be higher per node or less per item crafted.

But saying that on further inspection there are ways of crafting in the weaponsmith tree at least that avoid both cloth and gems in its progression. Overall for myself atleast gathering the materials was not that hard I came across very few bugged nodes and in all my complaints would be as pointed out earlier the costs and the gem drop rates.

in weapon smithing why do all the new recipes use gems on top metal/wood/cloth/leather? these are for uncommon type gear i could understand rare or epic crafted items needing gems.armor smithing just needs leather and metal for most recipes

feel the same way

the first 10 pts in outfitting cost right at 32 plat. PLEASE reduce those prices guys and increase the drop rates on cloth and some specialty items as well. Didn't see it mentioned but some crafted items have been ruthlessly nerfed. Spellpower powerstones have dropped from 200 sp to only 100 sp. Not nice guys, they take way too long to make. Also planar buffs have (power glyph) been reduced as well. Please don't start us off by reducing our capability. TY for your time.

+ Reply to Thread