+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Rifts/Hunt Rift Feedback

New Rifts/Hunt Rift Feedback

Couple of things

New Rifts:

The Looming Storm:

Fantastic normal rift event. Crucia looks great. There seems to be some texture clipping at the top of her body with the actual rift art itself. The final phase seems wierd. Its all dialogue, but no actual fight. No real end phase. Maybe have her summon one of her broodlings for the final stage

Hunt Rifts:

My first hunt rifts all seemed more or less the same. I like these conceptually alot. Though I was hoping (Krimeo was one of the three I did) would have some sort of mechanic. With 5 of us he was pitifully easy. I know these have "tiers" so I'll be interested to see how the other tiers shake out in terms of difficulty. I've got all the lures so I am slowly working my way through these, I hope to reach the next tier by the end of this beta so I should have more feedback on how they scale at that point. I do wish these varied a bit more. The three I did seemed more of less identical except with different bosses/mob names. The structure for all three was completely identical in terms of what you had to kill in each phase.

I've done all 18 of the first tier of hunt rifts, they all have the same mechanic. As the tooltip describes, they're meant for 1 or more players, so with a group of 5 it won't be too hard.

However, I'm wondering about the next tier, I've tried to open it and it says I can only use it in areas The Dendrome, Ashore and Steppes of Infinity, which looks like the end game areas. Are these rifts really meant for these areas?

That'd mean all the other tier hunt rifts above tier 1 will also take place there?

BUG:

Multiple of the first tier rifts mobs bugged out to "1 HP" when they spawned when using the lures in IPP. This caused the rifts to bug out on phase III.

BUG:

It seems like Hunt Rifts at times exhibit the behavior of normal rifts instead. They spawn invasions from the center which move outward, and all of the invasions that should be trying to establish footholds move around as normal invasions as well. Makes that part of the rift extremely trivial. And afterwards, all of the invasions quickly get stacks of the burned out debuff, making them easy pickings as well.

No idea what causes this, seems intermittent.

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    BUG:

It seems like Hunt Rifts at times exhibit the behavior of normal rifts instead. They spawn invasions from the center which move outward, and all of the invasions that should be trying to establish footholds move around as normal invasions as well. Makes that part of the rift extremely trivial. And afterwards, all of the invasions quickly get stacks of the burned out debuff, making them easy pickings as well.

No idea what causes this, seems intermittent.
    I seen this as well. I believe this is rift location dependent. Sometimes the paths that the "rift mobs" take are the long ways around.

With some help from some very game rifters I managed to complete Tier 1 last night. I found no bugs, but I did find that at times the scaling made the major bosses abilities in stage 5 extremely difficult. Most notably some of the bosses had healing mechanics that when coupled with dynamic scaling made them very difficult.

Aside from odd behavior with some of the invasions as mentioned above, I found very few issues, nice job. Some of the boss graphics seem lame compared to others (it was a bit inconsistent). While many had new graphics, some used the older boss models that have been around since vanilla launched.

My biggest issue is that amongst the hunt rifts level 1 there was no variation at all in how they progress. Unlike normal rifts which sometimes have different feels to their phases, these all followed the same pattem.

Kill 4 mobs, empower device. Hold off invasions Onslaught Style. Fight boss and a few adds. Hold off the invasions again. Fight boss from 50% to death, deal with adds. Boss has new mechanics in final phase and is made more powerful if his adds are alive.

There is zero variation. While I found these hunt rifts to be very fun, it would be awesome if you could find a way to vary these some.

I can't speak to the next tier because those require level 60 and a raid rift tear in one of the level 60 zones to open.

I was thinking that the first tier of Hunt Rifts should maybe be designed to be more like Expert Rifts. Scaled for a fuil group with some real mechanics. Maybe have them work on major rifts only and be available at 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60.

I just think its a shame that the content jumps from being accessible at level 50 then you have to wait till you are 60 to continue with your Hunt Rift experience. Not sure how you guys might find a way around that.

I love the way the chest system works, as contribution seems to matter. Very reminiscent of Public Quests in Warhammer. Itemization seems spot on though a greater variety of items for the first tier (which has alot of content) would probably not be a bad idea.

I'd love to hear from a dev what sort of role these are expected to play. Will you guys continue to support this content? Its very popular on the beta server and I forsee it being very popular on live, but the problem with general rift content is that it wasn't supported enough in the original game. Raid rifts were few and far between, and there was no real progression of Rift content. For a game called Rift, I think some serious thought should be put into making Hunt Rifts into a semi legitimate progression path.

Its hard to tell without seeing how hard these great hunts are, and what sort of items they award, but I hope they will be at least a alternate path similar to 10 man raiding.

I agree, more variation would be very cool. I completed tier 1... looking forward to lvl 60 so i can see the next tier rifts.

Bugs/Observations:

Not sure if this is intended, but you can do the Hunt Rifts in Mathosia (the vanilla continent).
    Even in low-level zones.
    • Opened a Hunt Rift in Stillmoor. Don't remember what level the rift was (assuming 50), and don't remember the name of the Hunt Rift but everything proceeded fine, although Phase 2 invasions seem to all spawn from the same location.
    • Hunt: Immori:
      Opened in Scarwood Reach, a level 33 Rift.
      For Phase 2, Level 50 invasions popped up.
      For Phase 3, the Herald is Level 33 and he actually dies (doesn't stop at 50%hp). The timer still counts down with no update of the objective (objective actually is blank). After timer counts down, it says "Herald Escapes" or something like that and we kill 2 Level 33 mobs that spawn and then the Hunt Rift ends.
    • Hunt: Anvonia:
      Opened in Scarwood Reach, a Level 30 Rift.
      Phase 1: One of the 3 Stormfeather Chasers (all of which are at 1hp) is classified as dead. "Stormfeather Chaser (Dead)" is its name with 0/1hp. It is a Level 30 mob. However, it still attacks us and it cannot be killed. You can damage the mob as damage numbers will appear, but you won't kill it.
      Also, when you charge up the device in the middle, a Torvan Technician NPC ally will appear, but he is Level 50 with 7866/7866 HP.
    • Hunt: Anvonia #2:
      Opened another Anvonia in Stillmoor, a Level 46 Rift.
      This time, 2 dead Stormfeather Chasers greeted us with tier 0/1-still-alive status. Level 46 mobs. Only one of the Stormfeather Chasers is actually alive at 1/1hp.
    • Hunt: Anvonia #3:
      Opened another Anvonia, this time in Cape Jule, a Level 50 Rift.
      This time there were no problems with the rift. Phase 1 mobs aren't 1hp but a normal amount for their level in the zone.
      Phase 2 invasions spawned from different directions.
    • Noticed that if you don't aggro the invasions and a summonable NPC like Moneybags (Banker) is placed in their path, they'll attack him, lessening the load on them summoning footholds/attacking the conduit.

That's just from testing two lures a few times.
    I am going to assume from these results that the Hunt Rifts aren't intended for under-50 rifts or are just massively bugged for them. The rifts in the new zones seem to work fine (since I've done a few of them before the above testing).
    Marko.
    - Before commenting, please at the very least read the Stickies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Bugs/Observations:

Not sure if this is intended, but you can do the Hunt Rifts in Mathosia (the vanilla continent).
    Even in low-level zones.
    • Opened a Hunt Rift in Stillmoor. Don't remember what level the rift was (assuming 50), and don't remember the name of the Hunt Rift but everything proceeded fine, although Phase 2 invasions seem to all spawn from the same location.
    • Hunt: Immori:
      Opened in Scarwood Reach, a level 33 Rift.
      For Phase 2, Level 50 invasions popped up.
      For Phase 3, the Herald is Level 33 and he actually dies (doesn't stop at 50%hp). The timer still counts down with no update of the objective (objective actually is blank). After timer counts down, it says "Herald Escapes" or something like that and we kill 2 Level 33 mobs that spawn and then the Hunt Rift ends.
    • Hunt: Anvonia:
      Opened in Scarwood Reach, a Level 30 Rift.
      Phase 1: One of the 3 Stormfeather Chasers (all of which are at 1hp) is classified as dead. "Stormfeather Chaser (Dead)" is its name with 0/1hp. It is a Level 30 mob. However, it still attacks us and it cannot be killed. You can damage the mob as damage numbers will appear, but you won't kill it.
      Also, when you charge up the device in the middle, a Torvan Technician NPC ally will appear, but he is Level 50 with 7866/7866 HP.
    • Hunt: Anvonia #2:
      Opened another Anvonia in Stillmoor, a Level 46 Rift.
      This time, 2 dead Stormfeather Chasers greeted us with tier 0/1-still-alive status. Level 46 mobs. Only one of the Stormfeather Chasers is actually alive at 1/1hp.
    • Hunt: Anvonia #3:
      Opened another Anvonia, this time in Cape Jule, a Level 50 Rift.
      This time there were no problems with the rift. Phase 1 mobs aren't 1hp but a normal amount for their level in the zone.
      Phase 2 invasions spawned from different directions.
    • Noticed that if you don't aggro the invasions and a summonable NPC like Moneybags (Banker) is placed in their path, they'll attack him, lessening the load on them summoning footholds/attacking the conduit.

That's just from testing two lures a few times.
    I am going to assume from these results that the Hunt Rifts aren't intended for under-50 rifts or are just massively bugged for them. The rifts in the new zones seem to work fine (since I've done a few of them before the above testing).
    I do think its intended for them to work in Stillmoor and Shimmersand on level 50 rifts, they seem to work without issue. But I did try on a level 47 Rift and it appeared to cause issues. Mobs spawned either dead or with 1 hp. As you came to above, I can only conclude they aren't supposed to be usable at a level less than 50. Its odd because you can't use a great hunt lure on a level 50 raid rift, I tried.

I do hope they leave it so you can use level 50 tears in Shimmer and Stillmoor cause it makes it easier to complete the first tier. I can only imagine how hard it will be to find a open tear on live for the first 4 weeks of release (in the new zones).

Doesn't the tooltip state they can only be used in Dusken and Brevane continents?

Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    Doesn't the tooltip state they can only be used in Dusken and Brevane continents?
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Khellendros View Post
    I don't think so.
    I think he may have been referring to the Great Hunt rifts. Those lures had text saying that they could only be used on a raid tear in Dendrone, the Steppes of Infinity or Ashora, I believe. I had been hoping to check one out and polished off the first tier of hunt rifts, but no dice on the second.

Only bug I can report in regards to hunt rifts is that from time to time the mobs obviously spawned immune but would remain immune for the entire time, forcing the group that I was in at the time , to abandon the rift. Other than that I found the hunt rifts to be fun and rewarding .

Oh right, something I noticed: using the greater lure PA power had a chance to open up a greater version of the hunt rifts. This caused the rift to spawn with elites that packed a very healthy punch. Still doable with a small group as long as you have someone who can take those hits (tank or a sturdy solo spec) and a healer.

But the invasions that spawned in the intermediate phases weren't elites at all, so they were kind of a joke compared to the rest of the rift. It ending up not leaving a chest, which I suppose might to be expected from the manner in which it was opened.

Anyways, it'd also be neat to have a way to reliably spawn the greater versions of the hunt rifts.

Confusion over rewards from Hunt Rifts

I'm unclear as to when / how exactly you are rewarded for participation with hunt rifts unless you are the one opening it.

-First tier hunt rifts (which I opened) were rewarded with a chest on the ground that I had access to though needed nothing from. When I passed on the items others in the group rolled/got them. I believe this is working as intended.

-Being part of a group doing a hunt rift from start to finish I saw the chest but didn't have access to any of it's rewards what I did earn was so random, planarite of course and I think a single hunt rift currency.

-Other times being part of a group and others are rewarded but I get a single gray item? Why? see screenshot below:

Quote Originally Posted by xiuno View Post
    -Being part of a group doing a hunt rift from start to finish I saw the chest but didn't have access to any of it's rewards what I did earn was so random, planarite of course and I think a single hunt rift currency.
    In the text, I believe that I read that the chest is a reward for the individual/group that who initially open the rift. That means that if a person opens the rift solo, even amid a group of folks who contribute from the get-go, the chest is theirs alone.

Probably will be less of an issue with subsequent tiers. Since the Great Hunt I lures specify a raid tear, I imagine that they'll generally be opened by an organized raid. Well, okay, sometimes a disorganized raid too, but you know what I mean.

Pretty sure it clearly states that you can do the rifts up to III or IV solo or in a group. I know IV and V are for groups 5 or more.

I just wish there was some way to more evenly distribute rewards based on actual participation. It appears now that the person opening the hunt rift (which is exhausting lol) can do so and then just stand there while someone who joins in on the fight and busts their hump gets a "repulsive goo" as a thank you.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this system. It's truly great fun joining these open world activities but not when you are locked out of groups because they do not want to share the rewards!

+ Reply to Thread