+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Too many instant-CoolDown Abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    Try using a modifier such as alt +1-5 , and f1- f5 and clearly using your mouse for all movement
    I do use modifiers when I heal, but I don't want to have to use them on all my specs (I play all 4 roles depending on what the party needs). If forced to do so it will eventually force me to drop 1 or 2 roles.

Dps roles are what I usually play when I don't feel up to tanking or healing. Making them more difficult just means I will not play at all on those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnz View Post
    As a mage I currently use 1-5 with three different modifiers so honestly this won't affect me much
    Mages don't tend to have to worry about staying in mele range either though. For range classes 4-7 buttons can work, for mele 4 should be the most. As you need the 5 and 6th for using your gap clossers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivengat View Post
    Mages don't tend to have to worry about staying in mele range either though. For range classes 4-7 buttons can work, for mele 4 should be the most. As you need the 5 and 6th for using your gap clossers.
    What is funny is Harbringer (mages in melee)... it is like the easiet thing to play in the game currently. Oh how ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelias View Post
    I do use modifiers when I heal, but I don't want to have to use them on all my specs (I play all 4 roles depending on what the party needs). If forced to do so it will eventually force me to drop 1 or 2 roles.

Dps roles are what I usually play when I don't feel up to tanking or healing. Making them more difficult just means I will not play at all on those days.
    You can play all of these roles fine without maximizing your usage of all the powers. You'll just be better if you do. I don't see the problem.

P.S. since someone brought up irrelevant ad hominem, I play all classes except Rogue (working on that one...)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelias View Post
    I agree this swing too far the other way.

I can reach to about the 5 on my keyboard without moving my hand away from the movement keys. Any keys beyond there I want to be used less often so I maintain my maneuverability and response time.

As it stands I won't play shaman because it has too many keys.

I do not, and never did, want to spend all my time tracking abilities instead of watching the fight. I spend less time standing in the fire if I can watch the fight.
    Remap some of the keys being used for shortcuts (eg C Character Sheet, B Bags etc) and use those as keybinds too.

Honestly, id keep all the instant CD, if the some of the DoTs lasted longer.

I mean, thats probably the biggest issues i see now, refreshing while keeping position, and dps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnz View Post
    You can play all of these roles fine without maximizing your usage of all the powers. You'll just be better if you do. I don't see the problem.

P.S. since someone brought up irrelevant ad hominem, I play all classes except Rogue (working on that one...)
    I don't have the play time to keep up 4 roles without macros (my girlfriend already thinks I play too much). Modifiers only work well when I use that role a lot. The roles I play less (dps and support) won't be played enough for me to transition into them easily and as such will be dropped. There are always plenty of DPS to take my place, but it bums me out to lose the flexibility that made me love this game.

I only used a couple of macros on my tank and none on my healer but I play them the most. Having strong macros allowed me to fill other roles (if needed) without hurting the group/raid too badly.

It's a good change. It raises the skillceiling and gives you something to work for. 1 button specs topping charts across callings were stupid and totally against the original philosophy of the game. Why have all the potential soul combos and synergies if it all comes down to 1 button mashing.

It will also be good for pvp, making 1 button heroes obsolete and introducing tactical gameplay. It was much needed.

Also, good riddance to -icars.

Quote Originally Posted by Maejima View Post
    It's a good change. It raises the skillceiling and gives you something to work for. 1 button specs topping charts across callings were stupid and totally against the original philosophy of the game. Why have all the potential soul combos and synergies if it all comes down to 1 button mashing.

It will also be good for pvp, making 1 button heroes obsolete and introducing tactical gameplay. It was much needed.

Lets not forget though.... All those 1 button specs on live were still last in DPS. There were no heroes specs... at least for clerics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maejima View Post

The only simple spec topping charts were rangers. There were very little 1 button specs, not for pve anyway.

Pvp, if you think more complicated specs are going to be used, then you are dreaming, there is not enough time to do that, and most complicated specs are terrible on movement. A little straffing will make many of you lolskilled pvpers thinking that macros were going to change much sitting at the spawn point.

Already see pvp specs that are gonna be popping up in at least, mage, cleric and rogue that are absolutely uncomplicated, and still use macros and be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Noriega View Post
    The only simple spec topping charts were rangers. There were very little 1 button specs, not for pve anyway.

Pvp, if you think more complicated specs are going to be used, then you are dreaming, there is not enough time to do that, and most complicated specs are terrible on movement. A little straffing will make many of you lolskilled pvpers thinking that macros were going to change much sitting at the spawn point.

Already see pvp specs that are gonna be popping up in at least, mage, cleric and rogue that are absolutely uncomplicated, and still use macros and be very effective.
    I am not a 'lolpvp'er'. I just like all the aspects of the game. I don't know what's going to happen but it already feels that, by removing the dominance of macros, the game is getting better and more complex. PvP might still be a mash fest, no arguments there. But if we think how macro-friendly Druid is currently on live, and how the gameplay changes in Storm Legion with less macros, and apply this to all classes, then we already have a more complex game in our hands. In my opinion, Rift should be a more adult oriented game, more complex and demanding, if I wanted to play 1 button 1 point classes, I'd play wow.

I think the devs are right in their decision to remove reliance on macros. You should work on your gameplay to improve, not copy paste a macro from the forums and cruise control to victory.

I use the 1-4, F1-F4, the ~ key(its left of 1 for me), and have unbound my Q and E strafe keys for more keybind ease as i use mouse for movement. I cant use the shift or alt on my keyboard as its layout would have me take my hand completely off the board to hit it. But still, that's like 11 buttons i can use with no hand stretching. And honestly, if any spec in SL requires more than that...im sure clicking it won't be too much of a taboo as it'll prolly be a long CD ability or a consumable.

Quote Originally Posted by Valavus View Post
    I use the 1-4, F1-F4, the ~ key(its left of 1 for me), and have unbound my Q and E strafe keys for more keybind ease as i use mouse for movement. I cant use the shift or alt on my keyboard as its layout would have me take my hand completely off the board to hit it. But still, that's like 11 buttons i can use with no hand stretching. And honestly, if any spec in SL requires more than that...im sure clicking it won't be too much of a taboo as it'll prolly be a long CD ability or a consumable.
    So is playing a cleric suposed to be a typing test? I thought I was playing a game not trying to take dictation. Anything more than 4 keys for a rotation is just plain wrong. If they want to make content hard then make the game mechanics hard not playing the class hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivengat View Post
    So is playing a cleric suposed to be a typing test? I thought I was playing a game not trying to take dictation. Anything more than 4 keys for a rotation is just plain wrong. If they want to make content hard then make the game mechanics hard not playing the class hard.
    It doesn't have to be a typing test, but some of the clerics and mages top dps specs (bolt n' jolt and defilemancer) have been specs that rely on DoT management, while keeping a cast spell rotation going. To reach max dps numbers you're going to have to keep up with a lot of skills. ( the only reason druid recently came on top of the meters is from Fully Geared/relic ID players' tipping the scales.)

No one in the game is saying that you need to keep up with your 6-8-10 key rotations, but you're dps numbers will show in raids. This is how live is currently, they are just upping the ante a little bit from how max dps pullers play now.

This should keep the game interesting for those from the casual to the elite level players. Just because you don't like something initially(after 1-2 days of playing it) doesn't mean you won't get used to it, or even like it in the future.

+ Reply to Thread