+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too many instant-CoolDown Abilities

Too many instant-CoolDown Abilities

This could just be an over-reaction but I think there are far too many instant-cooldown abilities. I know trion wanted to get away from macros but my druid and inquisitor have around 8 buttons to keep up with during its single target rotation.

I think the right goal for managing (DOTS) buttons would be 3-5; five is on the VERY high side. Make the game fun and the mechanics engaging; just because I have to push a few more buttons doesn't make the game any more enjoyable. The game itself - the mechanics - are what make it fun.

On the positive side I am glad one button specs are gone. It just seems like the pendulum has swung too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass View Post
    This could just be an over-reaction but I think there are far too many instant-cooldown abilities. I know trion wanted to get away from macros but my druid and inquisitor have around 8 buttons to keep up with during its single target rotation.

I think the right goal for managing (DOTS) buttons would be 3-5; five is on the VERY high side. Make the game fun and the mechanics engaging; just because I have to push a few more buttons doesn't make the game any more enjoyable. The game itself - the mechanics - are what make it fun.

On the positive side I am glad one button specs are gone. It just seems like the pendulum has swung too far.
    I have absolutely no idea how of why you would need 8 buttons for either Inquisitor or Druid. I find both of these specs to be about in the right zone on the requirement of buttons. Shaman on the other hand is a bit high IMO, but still manageable.

I'm using six buttons for Druid, well the druid build i just thre together so not sure if its optimal. 51druid/10sham/5inq

1. Combined effort
    2. Lightning Hammer
    3. Eruption of Life
    4. Replacement for bombard, ranged dot forgot the name
    5. Vex
    6. Fervent Strike (spam)

Goes up to 7 if you include the druid version of spotters order. I'm using karuulalert to keep track of it, still seems a bit over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how of why you would need 8 buttons for either Inquisitor or Druid. I find both of these specs to be about in the right zone on the requirement of buttons. Shaman on the other hand is a bit high IMO, but still manageable.
    For my inquisitor I am running a 51 inq, 8 cab, 7 defiler (or something along those lines) lots of Instant refresh dots.

The shaman I don't have many problems with I think mine has 4 buttons. The attack button, vex, lighting hammer, and 1-2 more. I put the 1 minute cooldowns into the macro cause I don't really care when I get the extra crit juice.

The druid if I recall is 51 druid, 8 cab, 7 inq.

Quote Originally Posted by Evcel View Post
    I'm using six buttons for Druid, well the druid build i just thre together so not sure if its optimal. 51druid/10sham/5inq

1. Combined effort
    2. Lightning Hammer
    3. Eruption of Life
    4. Replacement for bombard, ranged dot forgot the name
    5. Vex
    6. Fervent Strike (spam)

Goes up to 7 if you include the druid version of spotters order. I'm using karuulalert to keep track of it, still seems a bit over the top.
    I would not be likely to use vex with that build as it will most likely eat up potential DPS. That said I would like to see a CD added to Crushing Force, ranged Dot 48 point druid, but I can easily live without it.

I feel it good to have a slight raising in the overall role complexity, having to play with a bit more buttons is fun.

It's also allowing people to show/raise their "level".

And, if you ever did play heal or tank, you'll find the 8 buttons as dps way easier, but it's my own though, after playing the 38/28 defilmancer, i found the other dps spec just too easy.

For my inquisitor I am running a 51 inq, 8 cab, 7 defiler (or something along those lines) lots of Instant refresh dots.

The shaman I don't have many problems with I think mine has 4 buttons. The attack button, vex, lighting hammer, and 1-2 more. I put the 1 minute cooldowns into the macro cause I don't really care when I get the extra crit juice.

The druid if I recall is 51 druid, 8 cab, 7 inq.
    The least you could do is 5 buttons ST for shaman, and +2 for AoE.

Button 1:
    #show Massive Blow
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow

Button 2:
    #show Frozen Wrath
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Lightning Hammer

Button 3:
    Icy Blow

Button 4:
    Jolt

Button 5:
    Rush of Strength

This is assuming you dont want to use:

#show Deep Freeze
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Deep Freeze
    cast Massive Blow

If you do then you should remove Rage of the north from the first two macros and keep it on this one.

You also mentioned Vex, i dont recommend it for shaman because every melee attack reduces Massive Blow cooldown by 1.5s, but if you keep it then thats an extra button
    <Special Olympics> Recruiting Mage Pets (with or without their owner) to replace our Cleric DPS.

For my DoT Inqui/defi i have an 8 button rota, its a bit much on the castbars but i dont feel bad about it, its challenging to play, but makes fun at all.

Thumbs up

+1 (beta forums don't get a like button? )

I agree, it has gone from one extreme to the other.

I fail to see how the game could be considered 'more fun' because there are more buttons to keep track of...

As someone said earlier, the encounters, new spells, new ways of playing are what are more interesting and fun, if I thought pushing more buttons was fun, I could just randomly type for hours, why would I need a game for entertainment?!

This is how I'm feeling atm. We've gone from half the specs in the game being 2-button wonders to what feels like juggling 3 hotbars to take out some trash mobs. Why is Rift emulating the EQ2 model instead of opting for something balanced in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Byona View Post

Button 1:
    #show Massive Blow
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow

Button 2:
    #show Frozen Wrath
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Lightning Hammer

Button 3:
    Icy Blow

Button 4:
    Jolt

Button 5:
    Rush of Strength

#show Deep Freeze
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Deep Freeze
    cast Massive Blow

If you do then you should remove Rage of the north from the first two macros and keep it on this one.

You also mentioned Vex, i dont recommend it for shaman because every melee attack reduces Massive Blow cooldown by 1.5s, but if you keep it then thats an extra button
    I've been doing something very similar, but slightly different including combined effort into the rotation as well, which now seemed to work like a self only clinging spirit for +5% on all damage. So i'm using an extra key for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Noshei View Post
    I would not be likely to use vex with that build as it will most likely eat up potential DPS. That said I would like to see a CD added to Crushing Force, ranged Dot 48 point druid, but I can easily live without it.
    51 Druid, 7 Shaman, 8 Inq here.
    Don't know if that's the best spec but it's the closest ability wise to what we have on live so I'm playing with it for now.

I combined Crushing Force with my Sanction Heretic button. SH has an actual cooldown so you just double tap it to get the new ranged dot to apply.

And it is 6 individual keys now for single target doing that combination.

I wouldn't want any spec to be reduced to a 2 button spam, but I really don't like the "new rift" with no cooldowns on most abilities.

Internet thugs will chest beat how it will seperate the bads or some nonsense, but I fail to see how forcing players to juggle 3 hotbars of keys is going to attract new customers to rift. Many of us would adapt but it will not be an enjoyable experience.

Everyone keeps SAYING two button spec, but I never had a single one which was two buttons. I had 5-8 main keys and then 10-15 situational keys. I felt that was more then acceptable.

The pendulum has swung too far and needs to be brought back in line. Make more abilities macro friendly again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Byona View Post

Button 1:
    #show Massive Blow
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow

Button 2:
    #show Frozen Wrath
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Lightning Hammer

Button 3:
    Icy Blow

Button 4:
    Jolt

Button 5:
    Rush of Strength

#show Deep Freeze
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Deep Freeze
    cast Massive Blow

I run Shaman ST with 5 buttons also but I set them up a bit different. The soul tooltip hints at dividing attacks between Physical and Non-physical so I did just that.

1. Non-Phys
    #show Frozen Wrath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Jolt
    cast Icy Blow
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Vex

2. Phys
    #show Massive Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp

3. Lightning Hammer on a different bar since it has a 15 second duration.
    4. Rush of Strength
    5. Deep Freeze

Basically you can alternate between Non-phys and Phys macros with the exception of keeping Lightning Hammer up and it will always go with the highest damage per cast ability. Deep Freeze currently could use a bit of fixing since it triggers GCD so you only get 1.5 seconds out of it, or 1 Massive Blow. Sanction, Vex and Ekkehard's are there in case you have a life threatening reason to be out of melee range.

Multitarget:
    1. #show Strike of the Maelstrom
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Strike of the Maelstrom

2. Avalanche Strike

Windwalk: Not sure what the real intent behind this ability is. It works for leveling and mobility, but in terms of PvE nothing should be swinging at you, so the Dodge and Parry are wasted in that regard. It would be an amazing tank cooldown if it weren't 40 points in. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Integral View Post
    I run Shaman ST with 5 buttons also but I set them up a bit different. The soul tooltip hints at dividing attacks between Physical and Non-physical so I did just that.

1. Non-Phys
    #show Frozen Wrath
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Jolt
    cast Icy Blow
    cast Sanction Heretic
    cast Vex

2. Phys
    #show Massive Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Crushing Blow
    cast Ekkehard's Grasp

3. Lightning Hammer on a different bar since it has a 15 second duration.
    4. Rush of Strength
    5. Deep Freeze

Basically you can alternate between Non-phys and Phys macros with the exception of keeping Lightning Hammer up and it will always go with the highest damage per cast ability. Deep Freeze currently could use a bit of fixing since it triggers GCD so you only get 1.5 seconds out of it, or 1 Massive Blow. Sanction, Vex and Ekkehard's are there in case you have a life threatening reason to be out of melee range.

Multitarget:
    1. #show Strike of the Maelstrom
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Frozen Wrath
    cast Strike of the Maelstrom

2. Avalanche Strike

Windwalk: Not sure what the real intent behind this ability is. It works for leveling and mobility, but in terms of PvE nothing should be swinging at you, so the Dodge and Parry are wasted in that regard. It would be an amazing tank cooldown if it weren't 40 points in. Just my 2 cents.

You can't macro jolt If you are Trying to do max dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    You can't macro jolt If you are Trying to do max dps.
    So far I have found that you can. You crit so often that it is ready before it refreshes. Or maybe that icon above my bars doesnt mean anything anymore

I agree this swing too far the other way.

I can reach to about the 5 on my keyboard without moving my hand away from the movement keys. Any keys beyond there I want to be used less often so I maintain my maneuverability and response time.

As it stands I won't play shaman because it has too many keys.

I do not, and never did, want to spend all my time tracking abilities instead of watching the fight. I spend less time standing in the fire if I can watch the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelias View Post
    I agree this swing too far the other way.

I can reach to about the 5 on my keyboard without moving my hand away from the movement keys. Any keys beyond there I want to be used less often so I maintain my maneuverability and response time.

As it stands I won't play shaman because it has too many keys.

I do not, and never did, want to spend all my time tracking abilities instead of watching the fight. I spend less time standing in the fire if I can watch the fight.

Try using a modifier such as alt +1-5 , and f1- f5 and clearly using your mouse for all movement

Quote Originally Posted by Nooblet View Post
    Try using a modifier such as alt +1-5 , and f1- f5 and clearly using your mouse for all movement
    As a mage I currently use 1-5 with three different modifiers so honestly this won't affect me much

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnz View Post
    As a mage I currently use 1-5 with three different modifiers so honestly this won't affect me much
    Good thing you play a mage because this is a cleric forum. Warriors have issues with to many instants as well. It needs to be looked at.

+ Reply to Thread