+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heroic Boons - Great idea, could be so much more

Heroic Boons - Great idea, could be so much more

When I first ran the Dominax fight this morning, I was giddy when I realized that interrupting his tank killer ability got you a damage buff. I saw that the mechanic had a generic name, making me even more excited that I'd see it on more bosses. I wasn't disappointed. It appears on almost every boss in the instance. However, after seeing all the iterations upon reaching Chekaroth, I realized it's usage is (within the scope of my experience) mostly a gentle nudge on good, basic tactics. If melee attack Chekaroth from BEHIND, they get a damage boost! Not so fast Inquisitor! This is only for melee damage! This realization saddened me, so here I am to do 2 things:

1) Confirm that this is the normal pattern of Heroic Boons
    2) Suggest that this mechanic could be expanded to be so much more

Assuming that 1 is confirmed, I'd first like to acknowledge the fantastic utility of using these buffs to incentivize players into acting in the benefit of the group (and not looking like facerollers in the process).

But what if there was a parallel mechanism, say Elite Boons, that awarded further buffs for doing things that aren't merely standard operating procedure for a given fight? The Boon for Dominax gave me the initial idea when I survived through the first Decimate. I envisioned things like sequential interrupts, flawless group avoidance, quick handling of adds etc. Many of things that currently get achievements, but at an ability/rotation level rather than an encounter level.

I'm proud of my situational awareness and timing but it seems like the effect of coordinated, skilled play is only felt in raid encounters where it's typically do or die. I would really enjoy seeing similar play encouraged, in small amounts, in casual content, where it isn't required, but it IS rewarded. A game full of content that lets a skilled player shine is a game I will always want to play.

I'm interested in seeing if these heroic boons will be used in end-game SL raiding as well.

They remind me of the heroic opportunities in EQ2. Ignored for a while and by most, but when used correctly, really increased dps or aided in the encounter. Was vital to use correctly in some raid fights also.

But yes, nice touch to add them!

I think they follow the same path as the Bard changes, tbh. It feels to me as if it's another pat on the back towards the lesser skilled players, a way of saying "good job, you did what you were supposed to, now do X more amount of damage". Buffs that reward you for.. playing correctly. Shouldn't your reward for playing correctly be.. not wiping? Killing the boss?

I can see "Heroic Boons" being used in certain difficult fights, (as a poster before me mentioned, in EQ2 they were vital in some encounters) but to make them a common mechanic just seems silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Karny View Post
    I think they follow the same path as the Bard changes, tbh. It feels to me as if it's another pat on the back towards the lesser skilled players, a way of saying "good job, you did what you were supposed to, now do X more amount of damage". Buffs that reward you for.. playing correctly. Shouldn't your reward for playing correctly be.. not wiping? Killing the boss?
    The bard changes are actually the opposite of this, they put more emphasis on gear and skill.

The boons are nice, but I kinda agree that I'd like to see a more advanced usage of them in group/raid content (Not so much in overworld/IA's).

Maybe use them in zone events too, but have them be a "zone wide" version.

I.E. if you get the common "Seal X Rifts, Defeat X Idols, Protect X Wardstones" zone event, maybe set a 'timed' boon that triggers if you seal 10 rifts within 4 minutes, granting the whole zone a small power-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Karny View Post

I can see "Heroic Boons" being used in certain difficult fights, (as a poster before me mentioned, in EQ2 they were vital in some encounters) but to make them a common mechanic just seems silly to me.
    Did you notice how much HP the bosses in EotSQ have. Third boss has almost 1m health and has a soft enrage mechanic. If you're not getting boons, your fight is going to be very long and boring. Not to mention on the third boss you'll use up all of the bookcases and wipe.

The reward for following mechanics is progression.

Dunno about thin boon thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
    Did you notice how much HP the bosses in EotSQ have. Third boss has almost 1m health and has a soft enrage mechanic. If you're not getting boons, your fight is going to be very long and boring. Not to mention on the third boss you'll use up all of the bookcases and wipe.
    Wow, I didn't even notice their health.

I actually enjoy the boons, its something different. They don't always have to be for doing the proper mechanics though, they could set up boons for doing something beyond the norm in a fight.

It would be something like getting a bonus for doing "hardmode" on a boss fight. Also they can integrate the the boons so that you need to hit a certain amount of them to have a chance of defeating the boss before an enrage timer.

Yes it sometimes is just saying good job for doing what you should have done anyways, but it made the fight interesting, just finding out what actually gave you boons was fun to me.

Plus, not all players have the same skill level. Those boons could very well make the difference on clearing content or constant wipes for some people. And before everyone starts crying about catering to casuals, keep in mind a couple things.

1. So far we have seen 1 normal mode dungeon so dont assume how boons will be used later.

2. The casual players make up a lot more of the player base than the "hardcore" players. Without the casuals, you probably wouldnt have the game.

The idea of boons was kind of funny to me at first when I went into the dungeon with full guild group just hours after the beta opened all of us boggling at our new specs but far outgearing the encounter. The thinking was 'Oh hey we do more damage for following mechanics!'.

I was curious though how others fared so I popped into a few randoms and interestingly enough the boons from doing the mechanics might have made or broke that group.

Aside from helping more casual players I think reactive abilities have a lot of potential in the form of boons, say on a fight with add spawns where a high geared tank might elect to tank the boss and adds for the duration and just focus down the boss an interesting boon might be for a DPS player to collect the souls of the adds and initiate a reactive ability to stun the boss and increase their damage done for 20s. Just spitballing here but I see many interesting uses for altered or out of the way mechanics to a fight.

+ Reply to Thread