+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Tactician Torrent Issue

Tactician Torrent Issue

First thing i would like to say is great job with the tactician soul but there is one major issue regarding the Torrents AOE Radius. The range of the torrents is fine in but the actual width of the torrent is way to narrow which will causes issues when it comes to raiding + dungeons as it requires you to perform perfect movement + targeting but maybe that is intended.

Providing the torrent with at least a 1 meter width would resolve the issue.

For example there are 3 dummies in sanctum which are very close in proximity and if you directly target 1 of the dummies you will only hit 1 which makes me question if the torrents are going to be used effectively in the later content.

Thanks,
    Wiggles!

I'd also like to bring up that there is currently no way to stop your torrent. I.E. you may only need 1 tic of the torrent, but you keep using energy or doing AoE damage because you have no way to stop it.

I was also expecting more of a frontal cone from torrents. If torrents were a 20 degree frontal cone with a radius of 30 meters it would give them the same amount of area covered as a regular 7 meter radius circle, the shape would just be different and it would still require good positioning.

The aiming on the Torrents is really tough. With the over the shoulder camera, I find myself often aiming just to the right. Additionally, they don't Z-axis reliably. I was fighting mobs near the Obsidian Shore TP on EI and was having difficulties when I would try to fire "uphill" at something with a torrent.

Pulling more mobs then intended with Torrents. I really like the visuals of them.

Using a torrent underwater crashes your client instantly as well.

A wider Torrent would be nice yea. One thing I've found from playing around with it is the range on Torrents is really long. It's probably best to stand further back then you were in your testing, best to be near max cast.
    Mayi on official forums

Quote Originally Posted by Iskiab View Post
    A wider Torrent would be nice yea. One thing I've found from playing around with it is the range on Torrents is really long. It's probably best to stand further back then you were in your testing, best to be near max cast.
    I tested it at multiple ranges, it really doesn't get any wider the further it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    I tested it at multiple ranges, it really doesn't get any wider the further it goes.
    So it's a frontal column instead of frontal cone?
    Mayi on official forums

The problem i have with them is if you have 3-4 mobs beating on you your torrent will only hit 1 or 2. Can get around this by continually walking backwards. Abit anoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskiab View Post
    So it's a frontal column instead of frontal cone?
    It's about 3 meter wide frontal beam. So unless the targets are standing in a near perfect line or right on top of each other then it will only hit one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    It's about 3 meter wide frontal beam. So unless the targets are standing in a near perfect line or right on top of each other then it will only hit one.
    Having cleared the first dungeon with a 51 tact build I can't honestly agree here. Two things come to mind when I see this; one, you're a tactician. Position correctly and problem solved unless you're trying to aoe before your tank has pulled/established aggro. Two, if you're soloing and you can't manage to group up a pack of mobs for aoe.. well, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Insensitive View Post
    Having cleared the first dungeon with a 51 tact build I can't honestly agree here. Two things come to mind when I see this; one, you're a tactician. Position correctly and problem solved unless you're trying to aoe before your tank has pulled/established aggro. Two, if you're soloing and you can't manage to group up a pack of mobs for aoe.. well, lol.
    http://i.imgur.com/yTVwg.jpg

Here's a screenshot of me using infernal torrent on the middle dummy. The left and right dummies do not get hit by the torrent. The left dummy is set as my target, the right one as my focus so you can see that neither of them is burning.

It's easy to wave the torrent around and think you are doing aoe when it's actually just different ticks hitting different targets.

http://i.imgur.com/iEc9i.jpg

The second screenshot shows the required position to hit all three and it's extremely close to not hitting them all, face a degree left or right and it hits only 2. To do it reliably in a fight will require a straighter line or tighter formation.

Why wouldn't the mobs be in a tighter formation in a fight? I can see maybe some ranged mobs not in a cluster pulled by a tank but in any other scenario I fail to see how the mobs wouldn't be clumped up enough for you.

I 100% agree, the torrent radius is garbage. IT SHOULD BE A CONAL type damage but instead it's very unpredictable what mob is getting hit when.

In the current state I disprove of the torrent damage area.

First, It appears to hit one or two mobs if I am in mele. Second, it doesn't generate a single combo point and third it is stupid on charge consumption.

I have from my tests, determined that the use of torrents outside of perhaps enhanced Necrotic torrent is dumb.

I suggest either:

A) reduce the charge consumption and make it a combo builder like say cadence.

Or

B) Change the width of the column or make it a cone effect and leave charge and cp alone.

Necrotic torrent + Sourge of Darkness = SoD stacks eaten in less than 6 seconds.

Edit: What I meant was the burst potential from this.

Tactician is about a few things:
    1. Managing your cp, your energy, and your torrential overload
    2. Positioning

1. Management of abilities
    a) Though there are single taget abilities.. tactician really isn't very st effective. instead.. weave all your aoe.
    Torrents are powerfull, and specced correctly, you can use them to accuire a 5cp builder:

*for the use of stacking torrent, make a cast/stopcast macro for those torrents and just toggle. otherwise use them for their full lengths.
    *stay away from the necrotic torrent until the mobs are sufficiently below that 30%, its like a torrent finisher.
    *glacial (this snares, and specced.. increases dmg of infernal torrent, usefull if going full torrent length)
    *stopcast or a beam, like infernal beam
    *infernal torrent (this is fire.. use after glacial to maximize it's dmg)
    *stopcast/curative remote (this purges the target and heals you for 15 seconds anytime the target is hit)
    *glacial again
    *stopcast/necrotic bolt
    *infernal torrent again
    *stopcast/empyrian bolt (this will now instantly proc 5cp also
    * here you use wither a Primer, or a ray/curative blast situation depending
    2. Postioning
    Positioning is crucial to tactician.
    for solo grinding, kiting is not very effective for either beams or torrents, as theer will be many disconnects of the mobs from the width of the effects. in most casses it better to tag as much as you can with bolts (empyrian) then gather them up and target the furthest mob and aoe Through to him.

for group content
    a) focus on the furthest mob with the most mobs in the path to it for dps.
    b.) target the boss (or tank depending on ability). who should not be facing the raid (usually) and ensuring the melee are in the path use healing beams/torrents.
    when doing rotations.. you must be aware of your energy.. so go between using abilities to simply using stopcast, or not using abilities.. you could also just toggle between glacial/infernal rapidly x 4 to get that initial stack.
    Engines.. one of these I don't think I would ever.. ever use.. but the others have function.. one for aoe dps in group content.. one for aoe healing in group content..and another that is perfectly suited for solo aoe grinding...

still.. imo.. tactician needs some tweaks to energy reward abilities, if not regen/usage in general.

I agree they need to have a wider area of effect. Mobs seem to have some kind of anti-stacking code (try rift summon on a bunch and they will spread out after even if you stay still) so even once you get a good position there is a good chance they will move out of it. Give the huge number of encounters with some ground targeted AoE to avoid it's not really practical to have an ability for AoE with such a small area.

+ Reply to Thread