+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Instant Cooldown

Quote Originally Posted by Mirimon View Post
    IMO.. it's high time warrior wasn't a 1-button wonder.. and that they must also start thinking about resource management and utility.
    How about it is time for warriors to state concerns about their class and have the developers listen. Even on live no warrior is a 1 - button wonder. Warriors macro just as much as rogues and clerics. If you say different then you are flat out lieing or do not play all the classes.

Trion -> Not one warrior on live is happy with all the instants. It makes game play annoying and clunky and is not neccessary. It does not take more skill. Get rid of the instants. The warrior mains are not happy with it.

Let us macro abilities and get rid of the instants.

I don't macro that much, for the 51-9-6 build the only things that are macro'd is frenzied strike to the builders and finishers. The 44/22 paragon has the most macros (lazy method). BM has a few macros with 2 skills at most with the 2 reactives. Tank has 4 in the main builder and the rest are on their own. Yes my 38/20/8 reav/war/paly has 18 buttons on it, but even with this I'm a bit WTF. In live all those extra buttons are heat of the moment buttons like the full heal, the heavy threat aoe abilites (yes i don't put those in my main builder, that's stupid).

With all these changes, my style of play is changing completely. Hell I'm even looking at getting a gamepad and getting the freakin' Naga to help with these changes coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerx View Post

With all these changes, my style of play is changing completely. Hell I'm even looking at getting a gamepad and getting the freakin' Naga to help with these changes coming out.
    Easiest solution:
    . Revert the Reaver changes unless human beings grow a third hand and Trion mails us all naga mouses that soul is done for.

. Champ needs some cool down or Atrius just need to accept noone is going to use it

. Buff some of the Tempest attacks. If Harbingers gets to be this badass melee ST soul, then Tempest gets to be a badass ranged ST build. Just do some "pve only, pvp only" magic on it to shut up Rogues who will cry.

I don't get most of this, what difference does it make if people want to use macros? I agree, too many instants are bad, but that's my opinion. I personally use a macro and a bunch of situationals when I tank. For those that do not want to use macros because it's for "bad" players, then don't use them. You can take the same abilities that some like to macro and bind them to seperate keys. Now you can feel better about yourself and those who like the macros are happy too...

Quote Originally Posted by Jomeo View Post
    I don't get most of this, what difference does it make if people want to use macros? I agree, too many instants are bad, but that's my opinion. I personally use a macro and a bunch of situationals when I tank. For those that do not want to use macros because it's for "bad" players, then don't use them. You can take the same abilities that some like to macro and bind them to seperate keys. Now you can feel better about yourself and those who like the macros are happy too...
    Because it means there is nothing (or very little) to be gained by learning about skill usage and using them all separately, when someone can make 1-2 macros, hit them blindly, and perform equally. I am of the camp where I macro'd what I could, but still (being a mage first) knew exactly what skill each macro would use at any given time. The only difference this makes for me is it makes things less convenient. You'll still be able to combine (for example) ranged, melee, castbar, instant skills in one macro and the game will still pick the appropriate one. For those who enjoy maximizing a spec it gives a lot more potential to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Irunaii View Post
    I agree Sharog, the priority system is what takes more skill than a memorized sequence of key presses. For a melee or ranged character 5-6 is the sweet spot in my opinion. Anything less and it's faceroll, anything more and it just becomes tedious. It almost seems like there has been a role reversal with mage and warrior.
    Correct me if I'm wrong Sharog, but the current top spec on beta is 51para/15rb. I got the buttons down to six last night on the dummies by macro'ing SLI with FB/IB and DT with Flurry. I'm curious as to if that rotation is realisitc in a real time setting, I'm gonna say no because of RB bursts being on GCD.
    I find it interesting that in your post you've basically said they've hit the sweet spot with the very spec you're complaining about, but that's neither here nor there :P

I used the 51para/15RB multiple times in the new dungeon and the only boss I had any troubles with was the third boss. Bosses with low uptimes, whether it be melee or full raid disconnects (Grug's a good example) aren't going to favour this spec, a lot of dps comes from keeping everything ticking as I'm sure you know.

(not aimed at the person I quoted) You people complaining should drop your attitude, some of the indignation in these posts is laughable and entirely misplaced in the feedback forums for a beta test. Negative criticism is fine, hell it took me a good hour to get comfortable with the spec without messing up every other rotation but I really don't see what the problem is. A "top dps spec" shouldn't be easy to maintain constantly, that sounds like the fastest way to make us fall asleep every raid. The fact is as long as you keep maintain the finisher rotation and builder-followup combos you won't lose a massive amount of dps, little mistakes will seperate the best from the rest, that's how games work people.

Button pressing not skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass View Post
    Thats not skill. That is just pushing buttons in order.

Skill is positioning yourself in game, doing the mechanics of a fight, running in or out from a mob, dodging blades moving in the battlefield, hiding from mob abilities, knowing when to back up or just plain run from a player in PVP, not hitting a DOT when a Direct Damage ability would have killed the player or mob, and other actions like that.

Pressing 12345678 versus pressing 1234 is not skill nor does it add to the depth of game play.

Now if abilities affected mobs in different ways, or if mobs had resistances to certain abilities, or if mobs were weak/strong against certain abilities, or if mobs were resistant/weak against certain elements and players had specific skills that used those elements... Then there would be a real argument for skill via pressing certain buttons. IE knowing not to use fire on a mob that gets healed from fire.

FUN does NOT equal pressing more buttons. If it did the majority of people who knew how to create macros would not have been using them. That said, FUN also does NOT equal pressing ONE button.
    I totally agree I hope these new changes dont go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybye View Post
    It's so funny that people in this thread are defending some these changes and citing an increased skill cap as their reasoning.

I am in a top 10 world guild and consider myself a very competent player. That doesn't make it any less annoying having to now hit frost strike > rift strike > searing strike all on 3 separate key binds rather than 1 macro.

There is no extra skill involved having to hit 1,2,3 rather than 1,1,1. People defending this are kidding themselves. There are other ways to introduce skill in the game that does not involve simply having to hit more keys.
    What you're arguing is a quality of life issue. It doesn't detract from the game to have more abilities on instant, instead of having nice neat CDs going progressive from 4 secs. to 6 secs. to 8 secs. etc., so its easily lined up.

Having to put thought into when to fire off an ability, or even harder for some, when NOT to fire off an ability, is something that should be built into the game. If you are new, read the tool-tips, put some though and effort into your skill set up, and its all a learning experiences from there.

I find it laughable that most people go "OK let me hop on the forums since its patch day, copy and paste....save macro. OK Im good. Just hit this one button", and not put an ounce of thought to what is going on when they are mashing those buttons. They don't understand WHY we use this ability over that one, or why this one now and not later. That right there is a crutch, and I cant complain when its being weened out a bit.

I wont complain and say macros have to go, but I wont complain when they do get cut back a bit. Like I've said, to each their own.

Also, your logic of "I'm in such and such guild" is non sequitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbeotch View Post
    What you're arguing is a quality of life issue. It doesn't detract from the game to have more abilities on instant, instead of having nice neat CDs going progressive from 4 secs. to 6 secs. to 8 secs. etc., so its easily lined up.
    It detracts from the game if the combat system is annoying. This IS about a quality of life issue. As a min/maxer, I don't care whether the best rotation is 4 buttons or 14, I will learn it anyway. But to have extra buttons just for the sake of having extra buttons is silly and bad design.

Being in a top guild is relevant, as most top players spend more time learning abilities, rotations, mechanics, than most other 'casual' players. If these same players find the combat annoying, then how do you think less skilled or beginners would view it?
    Kaybye - Tabula Rasa - 11/11 (Conq), 8/8 ID (Conq) - Still Only raiding 9 hours a week.

It detracts from the game if the combat system is annoying. This IS about a quality of life issue. As a min/maxer, I don't care whether the best rotation is 4 buttons or 14, I will learn it anyway. But to have extra buttons just for the sake of having extra buttons is silly and bad design.

Being in a top guild is relevant, as most top players spend more time learning abilities, rotations, mechanics, than most other 'casual' players. If these same players find the combat annoying, then how do you think less skilled or beginners would view it?
    Silly, Annoying. These are qualitative words. Hence quality of life.

When the game requires pressing 1-14 buttons then macros are a must. Right now I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

as most top players spend more time learning abilities, rotations, mechanics, than most other 'casual' players.
    You said it yourself here. They aren't learning what macros to mash.

All I'm saying is macros should be used to stream line, not for people to play , literally, "cut&paste" builds.

Macros are good for putting often used skills together to prevent the redundant task of using abilities that will always be used off cool-down. Giving an ability a CD JUST so it works mechanically in a macro is a joke and a terrible argument. You're basically asking Trion to tell you what abilities to use in what sequence. This has nothing to do with 'casual' v 'hardcore' (terms I hate, as the amount of time spent on a game doesnt equate to skill of the player), but plain and simple laziness of the brain.

Debuff abilities having no CD is actually rather nice, means you can switch targets easily. But abilities like Rift Strike or Setting Moon that buff you having no CD just makes them a hassle to use for no real benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbeotch View Post

All I'm saying is macros should be used to stream line, not for people to play , literally, "cut&paste" builds.
    So you admit you missed the entire point of my post that you quoted. Got it.
    Kaybye - Tabula Rasa - 11/11 (Conq), 8/8 ID (Conq) - Still Only raiding 9 hours a week.

So you admit you missed the entire point of my post that you quoted. Got it.
    Your post about how "I'm in the top 10 so my ways the right way cuz im the best"?. I must of misread. My apologies.

See previous reply.

Back on Topic:

I would argue that positioning, and knowing the mechanics/intricacies of a fight are just as important for dps as hitting 1,1,1 versus 1,2,3.

You read into Kaybye's post and got offended because of who he is. Simple as that. He's right, whether you like it or not. Players in the top progression guilds spend a larger portion of their time mastering/learning their class than those who are still trying to down the content we've already mastered. We're also forced to play at a higher level to keep our spots. I'm fairly certain he meant no insult, though you certainly took it that way.

That said...

Paragon skills & cd's at level 60:
    1 - Setting Moon (can't macro)
    2 - Swift Strike (can't macro)
    3 - Flamespear (can't macro)
    4 - Death Touch (can't macro)
    5 - Flurry (can't macro)
    6 - Shifting Blades (can't macro)
    7 - Alacrity (can't macro)
    8 - Open the Stream (can't macro, followup dot)
    9 - Final Blessing (can't macro, potential macro lag)
    10 - Rising Waterfall (nothing left to macro it with)
    11 - SLI (ideal to not macro)
    12 - Fiery Burst/Icy Burst (can be macro'd)

1 of those is a cooldown (Alacrity). 1 of those is a replacement when your target is low health (final blessing). The rest will be involved in a rather standard multi-level rotation. So that's a 10 button rotation, or actually several 3 to 4 button rotations depending on "priority". And those mini rotations don't even all time the same as one another.

That's far too much for any serious fight you're trying to learn.

This has nothing to do with elitism, or skill. This has everything to do with reaching all over your keyboard/mouse to manage 12 buttons that don't fire in sequence, but in skip-all-over-the-place patterns... while trying to move and dodge mechanics, and possibly even toss out interrupts, etc.

I really think everyone should drop the attitudes, egos and butthurt (jealousy?) and focus on reality a bit.

What I'd like to see is something like this (at minimum):

1 - Flamespear (10 sec) > Setting Moon (6 sec) > Swift Strike (0 sec) = macro
    2 - Open the Stream (15 sec) > Rising Waterfall (0 sec) = macro
    3 - Open the Stream (15 sec) > Final Blessing (0 sec) = macro
    4 - SLI
    5 - FB/IB macro
    6 - Alacrity
    7 - Flurry
    8 - Death Touch
    9 - Shifting Blades

^^ heck, even that is a tad much. I'd love to see it reduced to about 6 or 7 buttons. And who knows, maybe future updates will get us closer to that. As things stand it's a bit unmanageable anywhere besides a dummy (or wall strat tuzi).
    Wykkyd <Aegis> @Laethys

Quote Originally Posted by Wykkyd View Post
    You read into Kaybye's post and got offended because of who he is. Simple as that. He's right, whether you like it or not. Players in the top progression guilds spend a larger portion of their time mastering/learning their class than those who are still trying to down the content we've already mastered. We're also forced to play at a higher level to keep our spots. I'm fairly certain he meant no insult, though you certainly took it that way.

That said...

5 - Flurry (can't macro)

1 of those is a cooldown (Alacrity). 1 of those is a replacement when your target is low health (final blessing). The rest will be involved in a rather standard multi-level rotation. So that's a 10 button rotation, or actually several 3 to 4 button rotations depending on "priority". And those mini rotations don't even all time the same as one another.

This has nothing to do with elitism, or skill. This has everything to do with reaching all over your keyboard/mouse to manage 12 buttons that don't fire in sequence, but in skip-all-over-the-place patterns... while trying to move and dodge mechanics, and possibly even toss out interrupts, etc.

I really think everyone should drop the attitudes, egos and butthurt (jealousy?) and focus on reality a bit.

4 - SLI
    5 - FB/IB macro
    6 - Alacrity
    7 - Flurry
    8 - Death Touch
    9 - Shifting Blades

^^ heck, even that is a tad much. I'd love to see it reduced to about 6 or 7 buttons. And who knows, maybe future updates will get us closer to that. As things stand it's a bit unmanageable anywhere besides a dummy (or wall strat tuzi).
    The main issue with all these instants is that it is not fun. It is annoying and just takes the fun out of the game. Macros have a place in this game and the warrior abilties need to be adjusted for this fact.

I truly hope the next Beta removes all these instants. One more time -> Adding a bunch of instants does not increase difficultly. What it does is make playing a warrior not fun. So what exactly is the goal? To have a class overall and expansion to make a calling no longer fun to play.

Your compromise of nine buttons is way to much. It is ANNOYING. Fix it Trion.

That said...

5 - Flurry (can't macro)

4 - SLI
    5 - FB/IB macro
    6 - Alacrity
    7 - Flurry
    8 - Death Touch
    9 - Shifting Blades

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That said...

5 - Flurry (can't macro)

4 - SLI
    5 - FB/IB macro
    6 - Alacrity
    7 - Flurry
    8 - Death Touch
    9 - Shifting Blades

Not insulted. I just think it was an apples and oranges argument. I feel top notch players can master their abilities regardless of a crutch in the form of macros or not. I think whining in the form of wanting nice CD times to fit into a macro for easier executability is a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyfish View Post
    I find it interesting that in your post you've basically said they've hit the sweet spot with the very spec you're complaining about, but that's neither here nor there :P

I used the 51para/15RB multiple times in the new dungeon and the only boss I had any troubles with was the third boss. Bosses with low uptimes, whether it be melee or full raid disconnects (Grug's a good example) aren't going to favour this spec, a lot of dps comes from keeping everything ticking as I'm sure you know.

(not aimed at the person I quoted) You people complaining should drop your attitude, some of the indignation in these posts is laughable and entirely misplaced in the feedback forums for a beta test. Negative criticism is fine, hell it took me a good hour to get comfortable with the spec without messing up every other rotation but I really don't see what the problem is. A "top dps spec" shouldn't be easy to maintain constantly, that sounds like the fastest way to make us fall asleep every raid. The fact is as long as you keep maintain the finisher rotation and builder-followup combos you won't lose a massive amount of dps, little mistakes will seperate the best from the rest, that's how games work people.
    Touche lol, but if you noticed I was more referencing the clunky feel of the spec, due to RB bursts and GCD loss, over the button rotation. I worked the buttons down to six, but tbh I'm sure it's not optimal and that's prolly why I was only pulling 5.7-5.9k with half and half ID/HK gear and R50 2hder.
    Now that six button rotation I worked out for myself would still jump to nine at 60 and it still wouldnt be optimal. After playing on beta all weekend with the new changes and then coming back to live today I can somewhat see where alot of these guys are coming from because it is indeed more fullfilling to be more engaged with my rotation on beta with having to maintain buffs and DoTs, but not at the cost of tedium. I still stand by my opinion that pressing four more buttons doesnt require more skill. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having some of your skills on CD and why someone would think it so is beyond me.
    Alot of the warriors who have spent time testing and trying to see how things are going to work out aren't asking for one or two button wonders, in fact, they would like more engaging rotations ala buff and DoT upkeep as well but not at the cost of having to jump up to a 12 button rotation that requires karuul alert or some other add on to ensure that their buffs and DoTs dont fall off.
    Adding in some CDs that are lower than the actual buff or DoT duration will allow for people to have to choose, at a dps loss as it should be, which route they are gonna go and it won't affect the top tier guys one bit. This extreme swing to the other side of the pendelum is an overcorrection on Trion's part I'm sure, and I highly doubt it's gonna go live or even last long there if it should make it. As to what Grinnz said, I couldnt agree more but you gotta take the good with the bad and you're always gonna be able to see who understands their class and role over someone who just copy and pasted then went to town. This is beta guys and instead of the knee jerk reactions, myself included, lets actually try and get some of this stuff worked out before 1.11 hits because the new class changes are going in at that time. I for one would rather not have to deal with a partially broken class upon release of SL.

That said...

5 - Flurry (can't macro)

4 - SLI
    5 - FB/IB macro
    6 - Alacrity
    7 - Flurry
    8 - Death Touch
    9 - Shifting Blades

+1 to this and pretty much anybody else's sensible post whom have the concern of having a to learn an Akylios/Laethys type encounter while keeping up with a 12 button rotation to meet a DPS check.

+ Reply to Thread