+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not enjoying the new tanking changes

Not enjoying the new tanking changes

Trying out 51RV/15 PL and quickly realized that most of my abilities don't have CD's anymore which makes macroing them not possible. This will pretty much kill warrior tanking for me. Am I missing something or what?

Quit macroing your half dozen abilities and actually use them as the situation calls for

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Quit macroing your half dozen abilities and actually use them as the situation calls for
    He's right. Reaver, to get it's maximum potential, needs all your DoT abilities rolling. Combine that with Aggressive Block and any sort of reactive and you're sitting on a 6-9 button rotation. At least one or two of the DoT abilities needs a cool down.

Reaver is the only tank build like this, Paladin and Void Knight are still easily in the 3-5 button range which I deem acceptable to my play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    He's right. Reaver, to get it's maximum potential, needs all your DoT abilities rolling. Combine that with Aggressive Block and any sort of reactive and you're sitting on a 6-9 button rotation. At least one or two of the DoT abilities needs a cool down.

Reaver is the only tank build like this, Paladin and Void Knight are still easily in the 3-5 button range which I deem acceptable to my play style.
    I personally like the idea of having to maintain a complex rotation for tanking, as opposed to spamming blood fever to keep agro.
    Lemming@Greybriar

If a build needs up to 10 keys its fine for me but i get bitchy if i have to use 20...
    And there are builds that will use more i am already at 19 for my tank.

P.S.
    What is even worse the no cd on buffs... beastmaster is a nightmare to buff

Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    I personally like the idea of having to maintain a complex rotation for tanking, as opposed to spamming blood fever to keep agro.
    The problem is, this isn't a -complex- rotation. You're keeping up four DoT abilities that all have the same duration. Dullness is not equal to complexity, and only ends up being an annoyance.

For the number of buttons I mentioned earlier, I am not talking about any cool down, taunt, or other abilities we have at our disposal. Just the general "spam" of VK or Paladin is about half the buttons Reaver requires to be played effectively.

All in all, Reaver just feels clunky.

The problem is, this isn't a -complex- rotation. You're keeping up four DoT abilities that all have the same duration. Dullness is not equal to complexity, and only ends up being an annoyance.

For the number of buttons I mentioned earlier, I am not talking about any cool down, taunt, or other abilities we have at our disposal. Just the general "spam" of VK or Paladin is about half the buttons Reaver requires to be played effectively.

All in all, Reaver just feels clunky.
    I think the same, i was cursing about gws 10 skills only setups, but honestly its a freaking game if have to control my character like a real life fighter plane i dunno, rift is an hobby not my job.

brgds

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Clasbyte View Post
    I think the same, i was cursing about gws 10 skills only setups, but honestly its a freaking game if have to control my character like a real life fighter plane i dunno, rift is an hobby not my job.

brgds

CB
    There's just no reason for Void Knight and Paladin to be able to be a confidently played tanking spec without macros, and Reaver to require 4+ extra buttons just for the rotation to include DoT abilities that are all 14 seconds long.

Also, I want to address something else. Void Knight and Paladin receive some energy starvation issues without Living Energy or Fervor. Reaver does not suffer the same issue. With fervor, all is good though.

Not a big fan of the changes either, I liked Aggressive Block and Soul Sickness having their cooldowns. I admit it is lazy, but I tend to already have a lot of buttons for all sorts of situations already, these little 'extra' buttons don't really add an exciting complexity, just irritating. I mean if you give me an attack that applies a block buff on me, why would I need to be using it more than the buffs duration?
    Adding complexity for the sake of it is not really necessary, micromanaging every last bit of my char is not an improvement. I guess we should be greatful plague bringer has a cooldown

The power issues are annoying, and it seems to be an issue across most of the warrior souls that I have trie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewin View Post
    The power issues are annoying, and it seems to be an issue across most of the warrior souls that I have trie.
    I tested with a bard and power issues disappeared with my tanking builds completely. I couldn't get below 60 power.

I tested with a bard and power issues disappeared with my tanking builds completely. I couldn't get below 60 power.
    Thats nice and all, but for dungeon runs you are still gonna be powerstarved pretty quick and for trash its even more important to spam those high energy cost ae builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewin View Post
    Thats nice and all, but for dungeon runs you are still gonna be powerstarved pretty quick and for trash its even more important to spam those high energy cost ae builders.
    I ran AP with both 51 paladin and the VK hybrid. Both are do-able for dungeons, since AoE pulls aren't too long.

I ran AP with both 51 paladin and the VK hybrid. Both are do-able for dungeons, since AoE pulls aren't too long.
    Yeah, but still going to be very annoying running out of power 20 seconds into every pull, it seemed like we were in a good place energy wise before, maybe a little too good, but this is too far back the other way.

+ Reply to Thread