+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patching Error #3157

Patching Error #3157

Hi,

I'm repeatedly getting this error. Can you say what might be the problem?

I'm on Win 7 Enterprise x64 , Nvidia GTX 550Ti , 8Gb RAM , Intel i5 3570K

I am having this error today. I am on my third try of installing. The first time it installed in my printer folder. So I made a new folder and moved all the files there but it's still redownloading as if I didn't already download it. Very annoying and time consuming. And I don't even know if it will work.

I'm on my 5th try of downloading from scratch. I can get patched far enough to get into the game but sometime toward the end of the patch the download fails. It's been a long time since I played Rift tho I've always kept my subscription current because I like the game. Just been busy elsewhere. It took me 2 tries to patch the live server yesterday. Once I got that done I copied the files over into the Beta directory hoping to decrease the amount downloaded but still got this error.

Maybe I won't try the beta after all. I'm getting tired of this neverending download.

Patching Error #3157

Received this error also. The pather would get as far as the min play marker, give a status of "Extracting", then display the 3157 error message. At the time of the error, I inspected the riftpatch.XX.log files (in the beta install location), and noticed one of the entries for checking the WAD file in \assets was flagged as corrupt. The log then stated that it went on to check all the remaining WAD files in the directory, 131 in total, and all others came up ok. This corrupt error was repeated in at least 1-2 other log files, all for the same file: assets.001.

Assuming this was just an issue with a corrupt file, I backed up the entire assets folder, and then deleted the contents. Running the patcher resulted in an 11gb download, as opposed to the 45mb download that was previously being attempted. During the download, it occurred to me, that it might have been quicker to just delete the corrupted assets.001 file, as it was the only one being detected as corrupt. After the fresh download, the patcher was able to finish without any further issues. I also let the entire patch finish downloading, without playing the game before it was finished.

I attempted to verify if deleting the corrupt file indicated in the patch log would have been a quicker download, I moved the freshly downloaded \assets folder contents to a new folder (138 files this time, instead of the original 131), deleted and replaced the original files, then ran the patcher expecting to reproduce the same error message (after all, if the original assets.001 was corrupt, it should still be corrupt). However this time, no error message occurred. Finally, I deleted the original 131 files from the \assets folder, and replaced them with the newer 138 file versions. Again, no further errors have occurred.

After several successful patcher updates, the original log files containing the corrupt error message were overwritten, so it is not possible to get copies of them.

;TLDR version.
    If you get the patch error #3157, check your riftpatch.XX.log in the main beta install folder. If you have entries stating "WAD file "install path"\Rift-Beta\assets.XXX is corrupt", delete only the files flagged as corrupt, and run the patcher again.
    If the error continues, delete the entire contents of the "install path"\Rift-Beta\assets folder. Just note, the more files you delete, the larger and longer the download will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffraff View Post
    ;TLDR version.
    If you get the patch error #3157, check your riftpatch.XX.log in the main beta install folder. If you have entries stating "WAD file "install path"\Rift-Beta\assets.XXX is corrupt", delete only the files flagged as corrupt, and run the patcher again.
    If the error continues, delete the entire contents of the "install path"\Rift-Beta\assets folder. Just note, the more files you delete, the larger and longer the download will be.
    After considering this issue further, it is likely better to delete the entire contents of the \assets folder, then trying to pick out any individual corrupted files, due to the fact that the number of WAD files may change after a fresh download. Which would be the simpleton answer.

A more technical answer would be as follows:
    I found entries that actually updated the assets.XXX files, and are indicated by the following entry
    Found WAD file C:\Games\RIFT-Beta\\assets\assets.069 with 761 valid assets, 32 outdated assets, 0 partially-written assets and 0 corrupt assets.

Entries for files that are not needing updates are indicated by entries like this:
    Found WAD file C:\Games\RIFT-Beta\\assets\assets.002 with 942 valid assets, 0 outdated assets, 0 partially-written assets and 0 corrupt assets.

The number of valid assets changes with each WAD file. Also the total file size of each WAD file can be different, with a maximum file size limit. If these files are any kind of serial archive, deleting segments may just cause more problems in the end.

But that is just my own half-knowing/half-techie/Half-assed/Lucky if I am Half-right "best guess".

+ Reply to Thread