+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wait, where's our dev? Or any communication at all?

Wait, where's our dev? Or any communication at all?

Havent seen a dev (except Sweet with a few comments) here in over a month.

Is anyone taking care of the mage issues? Or even looking at them?
    I'll admit, it's not the best stage to base all your changes from, but there is still alot of legimate posts and concerns here.

It's not "But mooom, the rogues have a dev, why can't we have one", but it's rather frustrating to watch the calling go in the less fun direction, at least in my, and probably several other's opinion.

If we've gotten clarifications and dev involvement the last two months, it'd inspire better and more enthustiastic testing.

Can we at least get to know if there'll be any major mage changes before the 1st? A mechanic change would be welcome, as well with a dps increase, but again, my opinion. Mechanic change, purerly to make the class more fun all around. Mage intentions?

I'll still play a mage though, don't get me wrong, any excuse to wear a dress.

It now appears that the approach maybe to nerf each of the other callings to bring them all into line again. Ranged rogues got bent over yesterday, can only assume (even hope) that warriors and clerics will get their chance without Vaseline before Thursday. I guess in a way it shows that devs are watching this forum. Many mages where saying that due to the current state of mage dps they were thinking of going rogue and then we see rogues take it up the wahzu in response.. Maybe we need to say well with the mage and rogue nerfs we are all going to play warriors / clerics for their dps to assure they get their share of the fun too...

There are so many bugs, stacking issues, problems with the mage. Things that I personally have been reporting on for months that have not been fixed. It really feels like the majority of this board has been falling on deaf ears. Forget all the whinning and complaining about mage dps at the very least can we atleast get all these bugged spells fixed.

I'd like to see any communication at all, asking us to point out bugs, just using us at all.

Right now, it seems that the poor mages are left to themselves.

Our dps problems might not look so bleak with alot of the bugs and stacking issues addressed.

Try and think of mages as a support role, not a 100% dps role...mes's, roots, snares, mana drain, mana gain, healing debuffs, etc...plenty of utility to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by Datku View Post
    It now appears that the approach maybe to nerf each of the other callings to bring them all into line again. Ranged rogues got bent over yesterday, can only assume (even hope) that warriors and clerics will get their chance without Vaseline before Thursday. I guess in a way it shows that devs are watching this forum. Many mages where saying that due to the current state of mage dps they were thinking of going rogue and then we see rogues take it up the wahzu in response.. Maybe we need to say well with the mage and rogue nerfs we are all going to play warriors / clerics for their dps to assure they get their share of the fun too...
    1. warriors had thier turn already, maybe they should evaluate how those changes effected them
    2. There is nothing OP about clerics damage
    3. Most of us could agree that the rogues where on top of alot of things and needed a toning down. I'm sure they still on par with top dps.
    4. Why would you want them to nerf everyone just because your calling got changed up, seems to me if they nerfed yall too hard then i'm sure they will fix the problem after lookin at the numbers. Hell they might already have a grand plan to bring yall back up to where you should be if your under par.

Quit wishing the nerf stick on people just because you play a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragni1 View Post
    Try and think of mages as a support role, not a 100% dps role...mes's, roots, snares, mana drain, mana gain, healing debuffs, etc...plenty of utility to choose from!
    Has anybody here ever cast a root or snare in their pve play? Ever? I know i haven't, nor have even seen the potential scenario play out where there's any real need to do so (unless your *that* guy out there choosing to solo level with a Pyro-based spec over the much, much more efficient options available to you). For that matter, same goes for the in-combat mana draining of mobs, fearing since it got nerfed, and squirreling outside a few very random instances that called for it while doing 5 man dungeons.

Rift's actual gameplay is all about the Tank/Heals/DPS trio, with "utility" playing a minor to essentially non-existent role in pve play at best (and even in pvp, it ultimately comes down to a "Squirrel or no Squirrel" playability factor). So when i see people claiming it should be viewed as a defining characteristic of the class, and essentially the baseline that class balance should be deprived from, i really just want to scream. Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Severant View Post

Quit wishing the nerf stick on people just because you play a mage.
    I don't just play a mage. I have actually played all the callings. Warriors are not yet done plan and simple. They have a few specific builds (kind of like pyro's and storm callers) that make them way OP. I have had several warriors admit that even at close of beta they are expecting to get smacked hard with the nerf bat because they are just too strong and these from tank spec warriors. There has been some raid parses showing clerics are not just for healing as well that raises an eyebrow a bit.

So yea warriors still need a look and I am sorry if that is your class and your being so defensive because you hate to be nerfed (although you probably tell the rest of us to take the nerfs with a grain of salt...if you were nerfed its because it was needed...well some warrior nerfs are still needed ). Clerics have avoided a close eye so far but I still hope they get pulled into confession and made to atone for their sins like the rest of us.

Yet another person that seems to think caster should be happy with utility instead of dmg. Here is a news flash for you. Since the days of DnD and MUD's Casters have always been first and foremost about damage. CC was a secondary duty for casters as well. The goal of CC was to give casters a bit more of a chance since in order to wield arcane power they are weak and frail hence why they have low hit points and cloth armor. I have heard it before from your type...mages should be happy with being able to CC, buff, and heal...why should they also be able to do damage? Because the bases of the class architecture has always been primary dps. Casters nuke, rogues evade dmg, clerics heal, warriors take the hits. This game is changing that view to some extent but some people like you are taking it to extreme trying to remove the primary function of a low HP, cloth armor, slow attack speed class.

Besides all the support roles you present are rarely used since most groups aoe tank everything, and in raid situations bosses are all immune to CC. Right now mages are in raids only as chloromancers or archons. Out of 8 souls only 2 are viable or wanted?

Allow me to direct you to the souls chart

http://ch1.goodtimes.trionworlds.com...read.php?t=638

In this chart, you will see that 5 of the 8 souls in the mage class are built to provide DPS. 2 of the 8 are built to be support classes. And 1 of the 8 is built as a primary healer.

I don't just play a mage. I have actually played all the callings. Warriors are not yet done plan and simple. They have a few specific builds (kind of like pyro's and storm callers) that make them way OP. I have had several warriors admit that even at close of beta they are expecting to get smacked hard with the nerf bat because they are just too strong and these from tank spec warriors. There has been some raid parses showing clerics are not just for healing as well that raises an eyebrow a bit.

So yea warriors still need a look and I am sorry if that is your class and your being so defensive because you hate to be nerfed (although you probably tell the rest of us to take the nerfs with a grain of salt...if you were nerfed its because it was needed...well some warrior nerfs are still needed ). Clerics have avoided a close eye so far but I still hope they get pulled into confession and made to atone for their sins like the rest of us.
    Nope i play cleric (you know the one everyone laughs at and dosn't want to play). And what sins are we talking about with clerics? What OPness can the clerics claim agian?

Quote Originally Posted by Severant View Post
    Nope i play cleric (you know the one everyone laughs at and dosn't want to play). And what sins are we talking about with clerics? What OPness can the clerics claim agian?
    They can be built to do some nice dmg. For example a raid parse after the mage changes showed the typical high dps mage they used fell down to 5th place. FIrst two spots where rogues, 3rd was a warrior, 4th was a dps cleric, then the pyro mage. Granted in most cases clerics are in a raid to heal not to dps, but there are dps builds for clerics that can do 500 - 600dps.

They can be built to do some nice dmg. For example a raid parse after the mage changes showed the typical high dps mage they used fell down to 5th place. FIrst two spots where rogues, 3rd was a warrior, 4th was a dps cleric, then the pyro mage. Granted in most cases clerics are in a raid to heal not to dps, but there are dps builds for clerics that can do 500 - 600dps.
    If your mages are under 500-600DPS they're doing it wrong. Clerics are still last, but less so than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    If your mages are under 500-600DPS they're doing it wrong. Clerics are still last, but less so than before.
    Hate to be a party pooper, but it's exactly posts like this that the devs said themselves were the reason elementalist and archon got changed in the first place =P

Quote Originally Posted by Souldrake View Post
    Hate to be a party pooper, but it's exactly posts like this that the devs said themselves were the reason elementalist and archon got changed in the first place =P
    No, you do more than 600DPS with tons of different specs, it doesn't have to do with knowing the "secret" spec or whatever, if you don't, you're just facerolling your talents and expect great things.

They removed archon/elem because it "forced" people into specing it, even though it's fine for other classes(saboteurs being forced into ranged weapon mastery, all rogue DPS requiring 20points in assassins, all warrior tanking specs rotating around 32 paladin...). They just decided they didn't want it for mages, and remove it, and now mage souls have like little if any synergy between them. Only warlock is still a decent sub for anything, which is basically the same as saying everyone should sub warlock.

Subbing elem requires too many points, a bunch of them being wasted on elem centric T3 talents, stormcaller or pyromancer basically have 0synergy and have to be used as main souls(I guess pyro works A BIT with archon, but only cooldown based nukes the main nuke being earth dmg), necromancer kinda underperforms and is annoying to use as a sub due to having too many active low dmg spells to use, dominator isn't a pve spec.

They've been slowly pushing people into making 44+pt specs by adding passives that only benefit over a certain amount of points and removing low tier passives that benefit other souls.

At the end of the day though, 2weeks from now, people will find the best mage DPS spec, and you'll be a newb if you don't play it. It might not have Archon/Elem as sub, but it will still exist and it'll still be that way. At least Archon/Elem worked with other main DPS souls. You could main SC, Pyro or Warlock with these subs, and get similar results.

All that said, if you're doing less than 600DPS and clerics are outdpsing you, you're either undergeared, or you're just not a good player. Clerics still do less damage than mages, using the best specs available. That's not even accounting for the fact the best cleric specs are melee, which come with their own little issues(like having to joust, AEs, moving between mobs etc), so it should never be even close on most fights.

+ Reply to Thread