+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whithering flame changed in tool tip only

whithering flame changed in tool tip only

After some testing withering flames was only changed on t he tool tip only. It does no more damage then it did before even tho the tool tip is changed to the higher value.

Here is what I wrote in my pyromancer thread, but basically the damage needs to be doubled for it to have any sort of worth in my cast rotation.

I did some more parsing/testing and yes its an improvement. It is worth putting in the rotation now but not by much. Here is the tradeoff:

-Uses up 60 charge that would have been stored towards a round of fireballs with IC.
    -Another mechanic to keep attention to which can cause over all dps to lower if you miss time your rotations
    -With full charge you cant channel a complete withering flames with IC active

With no buffs in a controlled environment we get an increase of damage of:
    -Withering flames aprox 2100 damage in 4seconds worth of time
    -2x fireballs in 4s is ruffly 1500 damage
    -So we get approximately an extra 600 damage every 30seconds.

Dont jump on the bandwagon just yet tho. With talents Fireballs get an extra 30% chance to crit + a dot attached to them. ACT parses my fireball crit rate at about 57%. So this means I usually get 1 out of 2 fireballs to crit. So lets refactor the numbers.
    -1x regular fireball + 1x crit fireball = 775 + 1350 = 2025.
    -This means we pretty much matched our withering flames damage and we didnt even account for the Dot component of fireball.
    -So as long as we crit on one of the 2 fireballs we pretty much break even.

What does this mean?
    If we are breaking even why bother going through the risk of adding another mechanic into our rotation that we can screw up. This brings us back to my original point I made oh so long ago. Withering flames needs its damage increased significantly higher in order to merit it being in our cast rotation. Id like to see its damage doubled where its at right now.

Id like to see it do roughly 4000 damage with its current 4 second channel time, keep the 30second global cooldown.

You also have to take into account builds that have opportunity or pyromancer's armor. One of those fireballs you have a chance to insta cast anything, or insta cast a cinder burst. Just one more reason why it's a waste to cast withering flames. On top of that, let's say you casted withering flames and got a next spell insta cast, whether it be PA, or Opportunity, you'd basically have to cancel withering flames to use them in time (Opportunity for sure)

Rift Team
    Debates about its usefulness aside the tooltip pulls the data from the actual damage value in real-time, there's no way to update one and not the other for that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Debates about its usefulness aside the tooltip pulls the data from the actual damage value in real-time, there's no way to update one and not the other for that ability.
    Ok. Now can we debate it uselessness and get some feedback from you? Don't you agree that it's underwhelming and not worth casting for the most part?

+ Reply to Thread