+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I don't see a point in trying to use the soul system as a DPS Warrior.

I don't see a point in trying to use the soul system as a DPS Warrior.

Champion: Two-handed and physical
    Paragon: Two Weapons and physical
    Riftblade: Any weapon, but elemental
    BM: Focused on the pet, forces at least a 21 point spec.

Almost every ability in Champion, Paragon and Riftblade cannot be used by the other two souls. Or if you can use it, it doesn't help your other abilities in any way.

Beastmaster was the most flexible, IF you could spend at least 21 points. Even so, that was only for solo and maybe pvp encounters because without a very high BM spec the pet doesn't survive in a dungeon or raid.

TLDR: Each of the Warrior DPS specs is so focused on it's own mechanic that the other souls are almost completely un-usable. Spec 51 points or don't play a Warrior DPS.

perhaps there are points you can spend in other specs that aren't DPS specs that still boost your damage?

Dunno I'm having success with 24 BM 31 Rift 11 Champ for PvE. Would not pvp as this spec though.

Its the same across all arch-types. For the Rogues it Pet - Range vs Physical. For the Mages its the type of spell (Death vs Elemental) Its not that there is no synergy, who cant use a buff to AC or Endurance.

I felt the same way. I dropped para and went with pally, rift, champ. I use 1h (10% bonus from pally), minimal difference on skills from champ with the 1h, and the rift makes even less difference. I get the bonus of the shield as well as hp from pally coupled with almost as good as 2h damage from champ. HOWEVER that is now not as good due to the recent nerfs, and I have to go back to the drawing board. Anyway, just thought I would share.

I used to use a Champ/para with the majority of points in Champ but dual wielding instead of using a 2hander. However, the last few tree changes and the weapon-specific additions (only works with two handers, only works when dual wielding, etc etc) have basically forced me to go 51.

The thing I find annoying is for my whole character I have to commit to one type of build (2h, dual wield, sword and board) because it is so difficult to find decent weapons of each type.

For rogues it doesn't matter, for mages it doesn't matter, and for cleric it actually does matter but less.. (dual wield isn't available for clerics, right?)

Clerics have to choose between 2handed staves of awesome, and shields of meh.

For rogues it doesn't matter, for mages it doesn't matter, and for cleric it actually does matter but less.. (dual wield isn't available for clerics, right?)[/QUOTE]

I find this statement absurd. As far as rogues go, you have ranged souls and you have melee souls so there are 2 choices. Now if you counter that Warriors have 3, then the counter argument would be "Do you want a choice removed?". Complaining that you have "too many choices" is just not a good argument. If you want Trion to make the choice of what weapon you use as a warrior for you, then by all means, keep complaining about your options.

Quote Originally Posted by Raucous View Post
    I find this statement absurd. As far as rogues go, you have ranged souls and you have melee souls so there are 2 choices. Now if you counter that Warriors have 3, then the counter argument would be "Do you want a choice removed?". Complaining that you have "too many choices" is just not a good argument. If you want Trion to make the choice of what weapon you use as a warrior for you, then by all means, keep complaining about your options.
    Ridiculous statement to make.

All melee rogues use dual weapons... End of story... Tanking, DPSing, Support... all dual wield and work well when mixed.

Warrior souls are restricted by weapon type...

2Her... can't really go Para because 40% of the abilities require 2 weapons.
    Dual Wield... Can't go champ because most of the buffs are 2Her only.
    RB abilities do not mesh with ANY other DPS soul.
    BM is OP right now but you can use what ever you like.

There are less and less Para/Champs and RB/DPS Soul combos out there because there is no synergy. Variety has been reduced because of these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by carlb1818 View Post
    I felt the same way. I dropped para and went with pally, rift, champ. I use 1h (10% bonus from pally), minimal difference on skills from champ with the 1h, and the rift makes even less difference. I get the bonus of the shield as well as hp from pally coupled with almost as good as 2h damage from champ. HOWEVER that is now not as good due to the recent nerfs, and I have to go back to the drawing board. Anyway, just thought I would share.
    I have a similar mentality and have been trying to build PvP builds able to at least moderately dps with sword/board. I find it annoying that there is a trend of continued loss of synergy between different souls. And once you focus the dps souls onto 2h or DW, its only really leaving Riftblade and VK, both of which were under severe scrutiny this patch.

Quote Originally Posted by SinSteel View Post
    There are less and less Para/Champs and RB/DPS Soul combos out there because there is no synergy. Variety has been reduced because of these changes.
    Very much agree- I enjoyed mixing souls much better several months ago before this narrowing occured.

Yes, I've had the same problem. One solution I've found is to just stick Reaver with every other Warrior soul. Hmmm, surprise. Surprise. Get a ranged attacked with Soul Sickness and Necrotic Wounds. Throw in Plague Bringer and Soul Feast for an 8 pt soul. My usual approach is to throw Plague Bringer at a group of mobs as I approach, followed by Necrotic Woulds and Soul Sickness. By this time I am on them, usually with a finisher. I've found the spells of the Reaver to work no matter what weapon combo you are using. Reaver has good defense and buffing talents any main warrior soul can benefit from so I usually go XX/Reaver. That's my take on it so far.

The way I see it, the 2h vs DW thing is not all that different from rogues needing to choose Bow vs DW. Sure, all melee rogues DW, but not all rogues DW.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
    Yes, I've had the same problem. One solution I've found is to just stick Reaver with every other Warrior soul. Hmmm, surprise. Surprise. Get a ranged attacked with Soul Sickness and Necrotic Wounds. Throw in Plague Bringer and Soul Feast for an 8 pt soul. My usual approach is to throw Plague Bringer at a group of mobs as I approach, followed by Necrotic Woulds and Soul Sickness. By this time I am on them, usually with a finisher. I've found the spells of the Reaver to work no matter what weapon combo you are using. Reaver has good defense and buffing talents any main warrior soul can benefit from so I usually go XX/Reaver. That's my take on it so far.
    reaver also has a bit of synergy with only a couple points invested with Riftblade as well if I'm not mistaken.

+ Reply to Thread