+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mages are really really weak!

Thumbs down Mages are really really weak!

Just look how terrible they are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DiiQVu1E4

Tragic.

I'm unsure as to the point of this thread. You are farming mobs 6 levels lower than you. I would certainly hope you burn through them with little difficulty.

Maybe it's a lighthearted jest at the cynics?

Not to imply that I think Mages are either weak or strong, just not sure of the point of the thread.

Who cares about mid level pvp? It takes less than 3 days to hit max level. Wait until a vk/champ/riftblade does proper timing + Rift Surge on you. There is a huge difference in 40pt specs and 66pt specs. Mages don't get much out of the extra points while other archtypes get crazy combos.

Wait until a vk/champ/riftblade does proper timing + Rift Surge on you.
    Or a proper timing + empower titan's strike

Quote Originally Posted by nerfed View Post
    Who cares about mid level pvp? It takes less than 3 days to hit max level. Wait until a vk/champ/riftblade does proper timing + Rift Surge on you. There is a huge difference in 40pt specs and 66pt specs. Mages don't get much out of the extra points while other archtypes get crazy combos.
    who mentioned pvp?

Obviously with all the other pvp related up/op threads I didn't bother watching the video... and now that I have, what is the point? Bad specs are bad?

This is Alpha = NDA

not sure why you upload your stuff to youtube? maybe you explain yourself a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoma View Post
    This is Alpha = NDA

not sure why you upload your stuff to youtube? maybe you explain yourself a little?
    This is the Alpha Forums... but it's a video of a level 32 Warlock, could have been done during Beta.

A lot of people who complain about mage complain about PvP. Some also complain about PvE, but they're mostly bad, or very low level(the 10-20 time for mages isn't particularly easy especially if you don't pick a good spec right away, later it fixes itself even with shittier specs).

Interesting instant respawn though, would be a good spot to farm assuming you could hold off the horde of people attacking you but eh ^^.

Yea I'm not sure what the video is about. I pull more mobs on my reaver and they are higher level. I did pretty much the same on my chloro/lock not quite sure why you hold back honestly.

all mage work well in pve... not in pvp........

The mob being pulled here are npc guards of the opposing faction. These guards have a higher valor than standard mob and the damage they receive and deal is very much different from standard mobs.

Try doing the same thing with random trash mobs and the issue would be much more different.

You mages who think mage isn't a pvp class should reroll to another game. Mages are the best pvp class in rift currently. If you don't know how to kite properly then mage isn't for you.

You have stuns, roots, snares, flicker and awesome heals that you can rotate between along with a few instant nukes along with a ton of CC breakers. Use them correctly and you'll win every time.

a ton of CC breakers
    Flicker, break free ... can you name one more that puts you out of a stun or silence?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    You mages who think mage isn't a pvp class should reroll to another game. Mages are the best pvp class in rift currently. If you don't know how to kite properly then mage isn't for you.

You have stuns, roots, snares, flicker and awesome heals that you can rotate between along with a few instant nukes along with a ton of CC breakers. Use them correctly and you'll win every time.
    ^ truth

If you are skilled you can succeed with any class

Hahahaha oh wow.

Unqualified opinion is unqualified.

Sure, when you grab your mandatory sub-in of Pyro and your mandatory sub-in of Archmage, you have a fantastic 2 ways to spec your character with your remaining 14 points.

Way to win.

Sure, mages can be really effective in 1 on 1 situations where you have range to begin with. And in raid situations an unchecked mage can wreak havoc.

But we're not talking about what we can do under optimal circumstances. We're talking about the median of balance.

And to the OP: reserve your judgement on mage until you hit 50. In fact, everyone should reserve their judgement on anything until they hit 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    And to the OP: reserve your judgement on mage until you hit 50. In fact, everyone should reserve their judgement on anything until they hit 50.
    This.

Entirely too many posts on PvE that attempt to address our PvP concerns and entirely too many posts on the sub-50 game. WF's are completely different once you hit 50. Open PvP allows for more leniency, so our low survivability is less of an issue there.

What's the proper spec to beat riftblade/voidknight?

Well I'm going to answer two posts in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    What's the proper spec to beat riftblade/voidknight?
    12 Pyro/16 Chloro/38 Warlock can beat that spec, have anyone duel hanlo and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Hahahaha oh wow.

Unqualified opinion is unqualified.

Sure, when you grab your mandatory sub-in of Pyro and your mandatory sub-in of Archmage, you have a fantastic 2 ways to spec your character with your remaining 14 points.

Way to win.

Sure, mages can be really effective in 1 on 1 situations where you have range to begin with. And in raid situations an unchecked mage can wreak havoc.

But we're not talking about what we can do under optimal circumstances. We're talking about the median of balance.

As for this post, I don't understand where you're coming from considering I've been in alpha for over 7 months and I have 4 level 50 characters two of which I leveled and I've participated in every warfront / pvp test. The duels I had against a mage with 12 pyro/16 chloro/38 warlock was with the following specs pally/rb, Vk/rb, champ/para/rb many of which alejo and I have built and made popular. We dueled for 3 hours and I'd say he won about 9 out of the 10 times ratio. I started right next to him in the duels. I know how to play my classes exceptionally well and I'd challenge anyone who wants to match me. I've never had a mage do what Hanlo can do but it just shows that mages in that spec have an amazing potential, if they aren't crappy players and that is a big IF since many are. I mean I had a critical rift surge on him that was hitting for 700 and he was still able to win/out heal it. Unstable reaction with empowered crit does nothing as well to him since he can instantly get out of it.

I'd implore you to reserve your judgments on mages since you haven't seen the best potential of what a mage can do. Until then, I find it laughable that people say mages are weak when they are the best and I mean BEST pvp class currently 1 v 1.

You can call my opinion unqualified but I guarantee you can't beat me in a duel like Hanlo did. So who is really unqualified? You want buffs to hide your lack of skill, that's sad imo.

Well I'm going to answer two posts in one.

12 Pyro/16 Chloro/38 Warlock can beat that spec, have anyone duel hanlo and watch.

As for this post, I don't understand where you're coming from considering I've been in alpha for over 7 months and I have 4 level 50 characters two of which I leveled and I've participated in every warfront / pvp test. The duels I had against a mage with 12 pyro/16 chloro/38 warlock was with the following specs pally/rb, Vk/rb, champ/para/rb many of which alejo and I have built and made popular. We dueled for 3 hours and I'd say he won about 9 out of the 10 times ratio. I started right next to him in the duels. I know how to play my classes exceptionally well and I'd challenge anyone who wants to match me. I've never had a mage do what Hanlo can do but it just shows that mages in that spec have an amazing potential, if they aren't crappy players and that is a big IF since many are. I mean I had a critical rift surge on him that was hitting for 700 and he was still able to win/out heal it. Unstable reaction with empowered crit does nothing as well to him since he can instantly get out of it.

I'd implore you to reserve your judgments on mages since you haven't seen the best potential of what a mage can do. Until then, I find it laughable that people say mages are weak when they are the best and I mean BEST pvp class currently 1 v 1.

You can call my opinion unqualified but I guarantee you can't beat me in a duel like Hanlo did. So who is really unqualified? You want buffs to hide your lack of skill, that's sad imo.
    I know firsthand that your opinion is anything but unqualified, yet in all that you are kinda missing the point imo. Because as Mercury did state, we're not talking about what Hanlo can do under the optimal circumstances of a 1-on-1 "ready..set...go" duel. We're talking about the median of balance, where again that is offering a poor representation of core situation at hand here.

I mean in a duel that all plays out fine and dandy, and i'm pretty confident in my own ability to post similar results. In a warfront, and especially with no points spec'd in the archmage defense, the moment that ability to mitigate 80% of your damage for 7 seconds is on it's 3 minute cd (along with the big Warlock heal i'm assuming you force him into blowing in your barrage) it becomes a much different ballgame. You might be dead, but the next handful of melee that come along are more often then not going to rip that spec to shreds.

+ Reply to Thread