+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Kervik? Will there be a mage-patch?

  1. #1

    Kervik? Will there be a mage-patch?

    Since rogues got some love, shamans were overhauled and warriors were hit with the well-deserved nerf-bat, I was wondering if there is going to be a big "mage-patch" before launch? There are several things the mage-community pointed out which need improvement and there are also lots of suggestions in the Beta-forums.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    22
    Don't waste your breath. People have tried to point out problems and we are being ignored.

    Mages are what they are.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    69
    Yea, I planned to roll a mage at launch since I always play mages in MMOs, but if mages don't get buffed soon I see no point besides CC or Archon for buffs(one per raid/pvp group....).

    If mages dont get DPS buff before launch I see a LOT of players that prefer casting not being interested in Rift. A shame since this game is so solid.

    When EQ2 launched a LOT of warlock/wizards quit before sub came around, and less than a month after they patched to double their damage lol. Overkill, yes, but.. it's SOE, a minor boost would do wonders here.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by nailgun View Post
    Yea, I planned to roll a mage at launch since I always play mages in MMOs, but if mages don't get buffed soon I see no point besides CC or Archon for buffs(one per raid/pvp group....).

    If mages dont get DPS buff before launch I see a LOT of players that prefer casting not being interested in Rift. A shame since this game is so solid.

    When EQ2 launched a LOT of warlock/wizards quit before sub came around, and less than a month after they patched to double their damage lol. Overkill, yes, but.. it's SOE, a minor boost would do wonders here.
    I plan to roll mage on live even if they are released in thier current state. I feel even at the lower levels (where they are at thier worst) I can do well as it stands now. That doesnt mean other callings are not better(because they are lol), but I can still perform anyway. I would love a buff to my favorite class/calling but I wont need it to be happy.

  5. #5
    devs need to play some warfronts as a mage. Damage is to the point where you die within a single stun or silence even if you have resilient (15% reduction in melee crits) and steelweave (15% less physical damage taken) from the pvp soul.

  6. #6
    If mages dont get DPS buff before launch I see a LOT of players that prefer casting not being interested in Rift. A shame since this game is so solid.
    This
    It's a shame really ... I've always been a caster-player first and foremost, but this time ... :-(

    The damage-hierarchy in this game is a bit off ... it should be roughly this way:
    Melee-rogues >/= Mages > Ranged rogues > Dps warriors> Dps clerics

    The damage of most mage-Dots is especially pathetic.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachmors View Post
    The damage of all mage-Dots is especially pathetic.
    Fixed.

    I had to think if there's even a single dot worth it's existence in this game, but even with the crit change they're still all extremely worthless.

  8. #8
    I had to think if there's even a single dot worth it's existence in this game, but even with the crit change they're still all extremely worthless.
    The damage of Haunting Pain is ok, but it has a 30 sec cooldown, a 2 sec cast-time and its damage falls drastically, if the enemy moves ... this dot would be ok, if it didn't require a casttime, if the cooldown was shorter and if the damage didn't fall so much ... but then again: The Warlock should be the Dot specialist in this game, not the Dominator -.-

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    490
    Ah! Forgot about Haunting Pain. I guess I'd say it doesn't count though, being in an overall DPS-free soul :P

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    114
    I have become less and less excited about Rift with the latest rounds of changes... I am a mage at heart and while I probably could make do with a cleric... Fippy Darkpaw over in ol' Norrath is becoming more and more attractive...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    42
    It is strange how people complain about mage DPS but when major guilds use a dps parser in raids, we come out on top consistantly.

    Just stating how you feel is 1 thing but bring in your damage parser readings and builds and then we will be able to compare and make a real point.

    Devs do not base their decision on feelings towards what people think a calls does but towards what it actually does.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    490
    I top parses in AoE fights, great. But what if we have 1 target? Below average at best.

    All callings have at least 1 decent AoE and 1 decent single target spec except the mage. A warrior autoattacks for more than many 1.5 second to 45 minute cast time single target mage "nukes" do.

    Our utility is designed in good intentions, but many of those facets fail. Archon has 2 buffs that is overridden by bards. Chloromancer is gimp in fights where you have to move a lot. The Dominator "Deny" spell (Dispel all Debuffs) works on exactly the same effects as all other classes cleanses that only mention curse, poison and disease. The Warlock ranged stun have to be devoted a whopping 3 talent points to edge it to a 2 second duration, leaving you 0,5 seconds after the GCD to get off something useful. No mage pets have any sort of sense applied to their design and aren't even minute annoyances. Trion, in their great wisdom, recently patched in a charge dump DoT that does less damage per tick than I do swinging my staff around - and it doesn't even get spread by Radiate Death! Recharge just got removed making Sac:Life Mana mandatory yet again for yet another class.

    I can go on, but what's the point?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I top parses in AoE fights, great. But what if we have 1 target? Below average at best.

    All callings have at least 1 decent AoE and 1 decent single target spec except the mage. A warrior autoattacks for more than many 1.5 second to 45 minute cast time single target mage "nukes" do.

    Our utility is designed in good intentions, but many of those facets fail. Archon has 2 buffs that is overridden by bards. Chloromancer is gimp in fights where you have to move a lot. The Dominator "Deny" spell (Dispel all Debuffs) works on exactly the same effects as all other classes cleanses that only mention curse, poison and disease. The Warlock ranged stun have to be devoted a whopping 3 talent points to edge it to a 2 second duration, leaving you 0,5 seconds after the GCD to get off something useful. No mage pets have any sort of sense applied to their design and aren't even minute annoyances. Trion, in their great wisdom, recently patched in a charge dump DoT that does less damage per tick than I do swinging my staff around - and it doesn't even get spread by Radiate Death! Recharge just got removed making Sac:Life Mana mandatory yet again for yet another class.

    I can go on, but what's the point?
    Hmm. sounds fun!

    I'll be on my warrior pwnin' nubs

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachmors View Post
    The damage of Haunting Pain is ok, but it has a 30 sec cooldown, a 2 sec cast-time and its damage falls drastically, if the enemy moves ... this dot would be ok, if it didn't require a casttime, if the cooldown was shorter and if the damage didn't fall so much ... but then again: The Warlock should be the Dot specialist in this game, not the Dominator -.-
    So basically, Haunting Pain is an *ok* option against players you run across that are either afk, or those in general that just plain suck enough to decidedly stand still for it's entire duration

  15. #15
    So basically, Haunting Pain is an *ok* option against players you run across that are either afk, or those in general that just plain suck enough to decidedly stand still for it's entire duration
    Or if they are trapped in unbreakable bonds

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachmors View Post
    Or if they are trapped in unbreakable bonds
    Which is the only option. The root of the problem with mages. While other archetypes have loads of potential builds for PvE and PvP, mages are pigeonholed into Chloro for PvE and Pyro/Archmage and whatever for PvP.

    Although the mage has many problems, the lack of options is the most frustrating.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachmors View Post
    Or if they are trapped in unbreakable bonds
    That would take the assumption that one is actually running a spec that has both 21 Pyro/14 Domi in it, and still bothering with Haunting Pain to begin with

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillsabre View Post
    It is strange how people complain about mage DPS but when major guilds use a dps parser in raids, we come out on top consistantly.

    Just stating how you feel is 1 thing but bring in your damage parser readings and builds and then we will be able to compare and make a real point.

    Devs do not base their decision on feelings towards what people think a calls does but towards what it actually does.
    There is a few threads with parses and mages fall behind. Also in warfronts the damage numbers are rarely in top over scouts/dps wars. I know there are exceptions and WFs arent all about damage.. but as a cloth class mages should be up there imo.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by nailgun View Post
    There is a few threads with parses and mages fall behind. Also in warfronts the damage numbers are rarely in top over scouts/dps wars. I know there are exceptions and WFs arent all about damage.. but as a cloth class mages should be up there imo.
    Where are those parses of mages falling behind?

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15
    In PvE, I see no major issues with the overall Calling (there are certainly specific's that could use an adjustment), but PvP is definitely a different story. WF's in particular are not kind to Mages, that's for sure. Get focused, get CC'd...die...respawn. Rinse, repeat.

    The good news is that release isn't far away and pugging it up is coming to an end--I mention this as our low survivability is often related to a lack of communication or a lack of teamwork in general. Also, it's possible that through gear and a higher investment into the AM Soul, damage mitigation will improve enough to allow some survivability--as is, good teams will simply target the squishies and get rid of them in 2.2 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts