+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage leveling on pvp server

Mage leveling on pvp server

Hello, what are yall's opinions on a good mage spec built around solo leveling/questing with the ability to decently defend yourself in world pvp and why?

Reroll Rogue.

Seriously though, NOT Pyro. They can't survive at all. Necro/Warlock.

Mages are sh1t on a stick from 1-49.
    I don't care what Trion or Kervik say about level 50 balancing
    The imbalances among low levels is too obvious and game-effecting
    PvE and PvP-wise.

As the person above said, You should honestly reroll as something else

Clerics have insane survivability with their single target heals
    Rogues have awesome damage
    Warriors have both, and they compliment each other entirely too well.

Mages best trait is probably their nevereding ability to CC, which derives from a single soul in their tree, and still pales in comparison to everything above.

I rolled a mage to 33, and It was aggravating as hell, and I was really starting to dislike the game as a whole because of it.

I rerolled a rogue, got him to the same level in half the time, with half the hassle, 3 times the pvp (Since i was a much more pvp-viable class) and 4 times the fun, breezing through quests and content.

You can stop reading now because everything below is just be ranting about direct details in ways that rogues succeed mages. I can't compare everything becuase I haven't played every rogue spec (I don't melee), but I have played

Elementalist vs Ranger

Elementalist pet has less health, and holds much less aggro. I ALWAYS took aggro from my pet in pyro, and he died easily. You also don't get the ability to heal your pet nearly as early in the elem tree as the ranger tree.

Sabo vs Pyro
    Both glass cannons

Sabo provide more damage overall compared to mages (At least at the lower the levels, there's an obvious difference.)
    Sabo's provide MUCH more burst damage
    Sabo's stuns and roots and knockbacks are much simpler to use than Pyros, and are on shorter cooldowns giving them better survivability. (Excluding the fact that mages have the option to pick a healing soul, which rogues dont)

Bard vs Chloro
    Both are support healers, but chloro is held to higher standards because people consider it a main healing role

Bards have better AoE heals
    Bards have better On-command heals (Because chloros only two on command spells are on 10 and 20 second cooldowns, Bards can be used every 5 seconds depending on how fast you generate combo points)
    Bards provide awesome group buffs that every group/raid is eager to have in their group
    Bards dont rely on (Or run out of) Mana.
    Bards have a much simpler rotation and doesn't involve a lot of cooldowns that require cunning and perfect use.

Bards vs Archon

Bards give amazing buffs like Archon, without having to go through a four step process of debuffing the mob, buffing yourself, debuffing yourself and buffing the group.
    Accompanied with their ability to heal.
    Not to say archons aren't useful because they provide an entirely different school of buffs that are also needed in the raid
    Just saying bards are the better of the two, imo.

Those are all of the direct comparisons I can give off the top of my head, but suffice it to say that Ranged Rogues are much easier, and much more effective (In all areas) than Mages.

Compared to mages, Rogues are basically easy mode.

And compared to rogues, Warriors are easy mode.

Long story short, this game has a LOT of balancing to do during 1-49, because not everyone has the patience to always be a 3rd rate class, until they finally get to the level cap where Trion blesses them with the great honor of fighting as an equal.

And that's why this game will be full of rogues and warriors at release if Trion doesn't stop neglecting these glaring non-capped balancing issues.

Also, on a totally different note.

Clerics honestly shouldnt be the only calling that can heal.
    By doing that, all you end up is with a lack of clerics due to limited options (Since 3 of roles are all based around healing, so most people will only pick cleric if they're interested in being a healer, drastically limiting the amount of people that will pick them)
    Not only will they feel pressured into being healers by having half of their calling based on it, but they also are the ONLY calling that can heal (Aside from the second rate healing provided by bards and chloromancers) So they're almost forced into that role in any environment that calls for a healer (Which is naturally, every environment).

But there's my rant for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith777 View Post
    Mages are sh1t on a stick from 1-49.
    ... rant ...
    But there's my rant for the day.
    Chloromancers are actually beast healers, and because of lifegiving veil/synthesis Bloom and Flourish (those 10 second cooldowns you were talking about) aren't their only heals. Every damaging spell is a very very good heal

Quote Originally Posted by Jhazvhug View Post
    Chloromancers are actually beast healers, and because of lifegiving veil/synthesis Bloom and Flourish (those 10 second cooldowns you were talking about) aren't their only heals. Every damaging spell is a very very good heal
    If by every damaging spell you mean Nature's Touch then yes.

Chloro's are better single target healers than Bards, not AoE. And also don't give Bard buffs.

But Chloro's single target heals still pale in comparison to Cleric single target heals

They're the best damge dealing healers, but most people don't rely on a chloromancers mediocre (At best) damage to get through an encounter

Plenty of people rely on bard buffs and immense AOE heals.

Plenty of people rely on extremely strong single target heals from clerics to get through heavy damage.

I personally would never would never want (Not to say I wouldn't deal with) having a chloro in my group.
    If I need DPS I'll get a DPS that pulls an easy 2.5x + DPS than a chloro
    If I need single target heals, I'll get a cleric
    If I need AOE heals I'll get a bard

In other words
    Chloro is second rate at everything, but it gets a C+ for being well-rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    If by every damaging spell you mean Nature's Touch then yes.
    What do you mean, don't all of chloro's damaging spells (life damage spells) heal the party and the person with Synthesis on them? Lifegiving Veil has that effect, amirite?

Please clarify for I am confuzzled.

What do you mean, don't all of chloro's damaging spells (life damage spells) heal the party and the person with Synthesis on them? Lifegiving Veil has that effect, amirite?

Please clarify for I am confuzzled.
    Yes you are correct. Nature's Touch is the biggie though. I've fully healed a tank that was at like 10% health using it lol. The other spells are a small percent and life spells i think are 50% dmg dealt, still not bad.

Chloro is a good class, just a different playstyle from what most healers are used to.

I suggest you pick Chloromancer/Warlock/Stormcaller.

Why? Because it brings loads of pvp goodness. If you want to swap out a soul for the PvP one, swap warlock. It is the least powerfull of the bunch. Chloro gives good healing and provides some healing to your team. Stormcaller is the real catch here. It has a single slow and an AoE slow. It also has several knockbacks some of which directly slow and electrocute which is a channeled ability, you can even have a chance to root on this one.

The dps of stormcaller is rather good as well especially when you get forked lightning and the augmentations for Air and Water and electricity dmg boost.

Warlock is nice to transfer health to mana, but that is only beneficial on low levels since you can go for living veil from the Chloro tree which is also a dmg absorb shield. Stormcaller also has a mana generating ability which will not only work on you but on your whole party.

Have fun with it

PS: With Chloro you can with investing points have a 100% damage to health ratio on life damage spells. The other schools of magic will only gives around 25% - 30% (not enitirely sure about percentage check that on your tooltip).

Seems to be some misinformation in this thread. Yes, Mages attempting to DPS can be outdone by other classes...yes, they have low survivability in PvP (my biggest complaint), but they also can fill a role within small-scale PvP, larger-scale PvP, and certainly in PvE instances or raids. And what's this about Chloro's not being able to heal well? Huh? At 50, I easily main heal the normal instances...often without any support healers (Cleric and I heal the Elite instances [no gear yet]). Sure they take a while to hit their stride, but once you're in your 30's they do fine (40's even better of course).

If you just want to DPS, while some builds come very close to the top builds, generally speaking, the Mage variations perform below others in that category...but there are other options available within the 9 Souls.

You have to realize, it's incredibly difficult to balance this many Soul options--and there's no way they're going to have them balanced from levels 1-50 (just accept that and move on).

I play a Necro/Warlock/Dominator This gives me a very good amount of damage with the ability to CC very effectively only thing I wish they would implement is that when the tank pet Taunts a player in PVP it should make them lose target. After all the Assasin falls off my target when he goes stealth so why not when my pet taunts ? I never use the tank pet at all when soloing I always use the Zealot beacue he does much better damage than the tank pet and the tank pet does not have enough Mitigation to justify its use solo at all IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by nailgun View Post
    Yes you are correct. Nature's Touch is the biggie though. I've fully healed a tank that was at like 10% health using it lol. The other spells are a small percent and life spells i think are 50% dmg dealt, still not bad.

Chloro is a good class, just a different playstyle from what most healers are used to.
    Life spells are 80% when specced for it with Lifegiving Veil . The same ability also increases Entropic Veil charge ability from 10% dmg boost to 19% .

The biggest issue I see with the Mage calling is that virtually everyone's going to want 15 into Elementalist: 5% crit, 8% extra health (from dmg reduction), an absorb bubble, and 50% critical hit damage is amazing for that few points. Plus you get an extra nuke and a few other goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Karatha1 View Post
    Hello, what are yall's opinions on a good mage spec built around solo leveling/questing with the ability to decently defend yourself in world pvp and why?
    ignore the people who say mages suck. they are just terrible players who probably came from WoW.

mages are, in my opinion, probably the most balanced class in the game, but you need to learn how to play them. this takes alot of time and patience, but once you master them ... people will complain and call you OP.

i've had clerics and rogues complaining that 'mages are OP', and warriors are left bewildered at some of the crazy **** I can pull off.

As for your question, I would recommend chloromancer/warlock/elementalist. This spec has great self heals, fear/encase CC (no cooldown CCs), a pet that can tank elites while you heal and an infinite mana pool. The only downside to this spec is your relatively low damage output, so don't expect to be 'nuking **** down' any time soon. If you get jumped in pvp, you can use your emergency heals (bloom / flourish), and fear them away, root them with Encase while you regen HP/MP, then just grind their hp down while keeping yourself topped up with passive self-healing.

Alternatively, you can play with my 'tankmage' spec (link in my signature) and I you WILL win 95% of all your pvp encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Life spells are 80% when specced for it with Lifegiving Veil . The same ability also increases Entropic Veil charge ability from 10% dmg boost to 19% .

The biggest issue I see with the Mage calling is that virtually everyone's going to want 15 into Elementalist: 5% crit, 8% extra health (from dmg reduction), an absorb bubble, and 50% critical hit damage is amazing for that few points. Plus you get an extra nuke and a few other goodies.
    lol yea i logged in after i posted that to check my numbers but then got called to baby duty, thanks for posting actual percents

+ Reply to Thread