+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time to hire more QA staff

Time to hire more QA staff

Instead of trying to push out as many changes as possible, I'd suggest a little more internal QA testing. It's very frustrating to see these last 5-10 patches being pushed to Alpha with bugs so obvious it takes one fight for players to find them.

I know we're here to test, but shouldn't any QA be done internally before moving code to Alpha?

I know you have a March 1 deadline, but jesus, look how many basic skills on the Warrior are not working at all.

I think you guys are doing an amazing job, and overall the game is in great shape, but lately the quality being pushed out is suffering, and that runs the risk of negating all of the good stuff.

Slow down and test stuff before pushing it out. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Todai View Post

Slow down and test stuff before pushing it out. That's all I'm saying.
    We are here to test stuff, push out patches everyday i say. Broken or not, we want to help.

yeah this is kinda the purpose of Alpha testing and beta...also QA staff always suck. Look at DCUO they relied very heavily on QA staff and well...you see where that game is.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyjoe View Post
    yeah this is kinda the purpose of Alpha testing and beta...also QA staff always suck. Look at DCUO they relied very heavily on QA staff and well...you see where that game is.
    it's not that the QA staff sucks. it's that they cannot possibly do as much testing as players do.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyjoe View Post
    Alpha and Beta servers do help but only factor in a small portion of the overall QA dev cycle. They help with load balancing, impact on quests with large queues of players, edge case play styles and some balancing (dungeons/PvP). Most of the bugs reported by players have already been found by their QA team. Its the Producer and Game Designers that truly determine which bugs get fixed and which ones they can live with. In this environment of the Alpha servers there are probably a lot of "known issues" that due to either time or priority are not fixed yet. This game is in great shape compared to a majority of other MMOs in this stage of pre-release. Just expect a few more patches and tweaks before we see the end game they intended for us.

As for the latest patch 1/30, i can only guess their QA was pulling their hair out on these changes (especially this late in the cycle), but it was the Producer who made the call trying to work out which pieces to keep and which to cut. My guess they is they were either losing it as the pressure got to them this close to launch or they had a few too many drinks

I am no longer in this industry but can tell you from experience that the preparation, dedication and sacrifice the QA teams put into these games is extensive. The Alpha and Beta testers are only a small part of the big picture and often inflate their own value all to often in Forums, especially when they are not posting anything constructive or beneficial to the game.

Focus on helping them identify new bugs. Learn to be patient. And educate yourself on what goes on behind the scenes before you post another rant like this.

I can understand what both sides are saying. However, all things being equal, if the warrior class was presented at release the way it is now ... I'll be playing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallan View Post
    I can understand what both sides are saying. However, all things being equal, if the warrior class was presented at release the way it is now ... I'll be playing something else.
    Oddly enough, it seems there is a similar feeling amongst all the testers in their respective feedback forums. So maybe it'll all balance out? ^_^

Just having someone scan the class boards once a day to pick up on any major issues and report them to devs would be nice.

+ Reply to Thread