+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feeling weak compared to Archers, doing half their damage

FFS people learn to read. I'm saying parses showed that on dummies these classes had more dps output about 2-3 alpha builds ago than most mages. The OP was talking about the archetype from a PvP standpoint, I compare it to the situation in PvE.

And if you insist on talking PvP - Mage has their tools to deal with 1v1 situations, but apart from the shaman, so does everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Have you met the Stormcaller?

If you are losing in a duel as a mage you are doing something wrong (build probably) or your competition is that much better (gear skill latency build) than you.
    1) See above. 2) Why are you even bringing up the lowest DPS AoE soul to argue a point about single target dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    FFS people learn to read. I'm saying parses showed that on dummies these classes had more dps output about 2-3 alpha builds ago than most mages.
    Which is completely irrelevant because that was 2-3 builds ago and isn't the case anymore.

Wait, Stormcaller is a low dps AE soul? wat

Why are you even bringing up the lowest DPS AoE soul to argue a point about single target dps.
    'Cause using Stormcaller is how I top the dps charts fighting raid targets that are either single target or multi target encounters?

Comparatively. I might be playing the Stormcaller wrong since it's one of my least liked and played souls, but in encounters where I'd break 1,4K stable over time dps with the Warlock and Pyro, the SC would be more like 1,1~1,2. Which I always assumed was a trade off for the mass CC. If it is indeed capable of out dps'ing the Pyro or Warlock that have no CC tied to their AoE's, I'd say we've found a hefty balance issue which I'm sure you've all reported? Right? Nudge nudge wink wink?

Against a single target in PvE all other archetypes have at least 1 soul that can out dps a mage. Against multiple targets the mage gets on top if it's a warlock or pyro - but there needs to be 1 soul with more oomph for single target dps. If this has changed very recently - great! But I haven't seen anything in patch notes about any mages getting buffed. Pyro used to be good, I'll give you that.
    How many of the mage souls are pure single target souls with no sustained AoE ability?
    I see this kind of complaint all the time that a single target physical class can put out more DPS than a spell casting DPS class. Almost every time I see this, what is never taken into account is the AoE Capability and the fact that the Spell caster stands back away from Boss Cleave and Melee AoE Auras.

I am all for mages having a soul that has competitive single target DPS, what are you willing to sacrifice for it? AoE? Range? the ability to build up multiple instant Damage over Time spells in between burst spells?

Comparatively. I might be playing the Stormcaller wrong since it's one of my least liked and played souls, but in encounters where I'd break 1,4K stable over time dps with the Warlock and Pyro, the SC would be more like 1,1~1,2. Which I always assumed was a trade off for the mass CC. If it is indeed capable of out dps'ing the Pyro or Warlock that have no CC tied to their AoE's, I'd say we've found a hefty balance issue which I'm sure you've all reported? Right? Nudge nudge wink wink?
    Dont think so.
    Becouse Warlock has much more Self Care Spells and Silence´s with are missing in a SC build

The (pyro)mage definitely has many things to use to combat this... the problem with going against marksman/archers is that they damage sooo fast. Even with (pyro)heatwave cutting your cast time in half its still hard. There 1500hits and their silences are tough to go against. Even with a pyro/chloro build its hard to 1v1 them... Try and you'll see. Im not saying its impossible to win... its just a hard fight and the rogue is favored for sure. You can only do sooo much in 8seconds... which is basically the amt of time it takes the archer to dmg you. Im sure it wont be like this forever... and, like i said, its not an IMPOSSIBLE fight.

The best build against the rogue/archer w/ deadeye/etc. was the necro. If you can get past their first attacks they are going to be on cooldown for a while... once there you can deal out enough dmg to win. I could win 1v1 with the necro against an archer... its a totally different fight.

I see op's point.

My rank 11 Marksman crits for 300 on mobs same lvl, and my mage rank 23 cant even do that on the rank 11 mobs!
    This judging by my marksman doesnt have any good gear, my mage does.
    However i like the mage's playstyle more. The versatility of it is great.

But in pure burstdamage, single target - marksman stands out strong imo.

And, to ppl saying it takes 5-6 seconds to build up ur combo points and then to release dedeye etc... well, U have a insta casted ability, which can be used on ur run - while increasing ur runspeed, as well if u use those other abilites that takes 1.5 secs to casts and builds 2 combo points - ur up to deadeye in no time!
    And, this is what burstdamage is all about! its about building urself up to release it all at one time.

I dont feel Mages do that? its just constant, low damage..

Only time i can burst with it, is when im using the kelari racial skill - and can guarantee a critical hit or two..

Wtf, your class can break 1.4k? OMG...play a real weak class like a cleric, I can barely break 500 single target self buffed on a dummy. Though, that parse seems on par for rogues and warriors alike. Hell, if it has more CC awesome! You found a great build!

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    I am all for mages having a soul that has competitive single target DPS, what are you willing to sacrifice for it? AoE? Range? the ability to build up multiple instant Damage over Time spells in between burst spells?
    How about giving up plate/chain armor and a whole lot of hps (even more for pyro)? Oh wait, done that.

+ Reply to Thread