+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mage Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Kervik View Post
    Have some more updates for everyone, these are primarily the bigger changes and do not include changes made to damage values and such on abilities.

Stormcaller
    • Reduced the benefit Cloudburst receives from stacks of Electrified to a 15% bonus per stack.
    • Stretch of Cold now increases water damage by 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8/1% for each point spent in the Stormcaller soul.
    If you read it its actually an increase to Stormcaller DPS as cloudburst is water damage. With cloudburst losing 15% bonus (5% per stack of electrify), picking up stretch of cold (which is already in a Stormcaller dps build) will increase water damage past the "nerf" just by putting 5 points in stretch of cold from 15-20. Adding more points to Stormy is just additive damage that you couldn't do now.

If this is how it works, my build will get an additional 17% to my cloudburst (32 Stormcaller)

I'm really interested in the new pyro mannaburn (chargeburn lol)

Thinking more about the new changes, I think they would be alright if they include a couple more changes.

Having Elemental Armor so deep in the tree is a big hit on our dps, specially since we don't have a useful Armor buff as a Stormcaller. Now, if Stormcaller where to get a useful Armor buff or maybe have Sinergize on the Elementalist tree give us a small damage bonus buff to us or a crit buff to us then it will help.

Also, maybe increasing a the Damage buff Stretch of Cold will have to around 1.2-1.5% bonus per point would also help for the loss of Elemental Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    If you read it its actually an increase to Stormcaller DPS as cloudburst is water damage. With cloudburst losing 15% bonus (5% per stack of electrify), picking up stretch of cold (which is already in a Stormcaller dps build) will increase water damage past the "nerf" just by putting 5 points in stretch of cold from 15-20. Adding more points to Stormy is just additive damage that you couldn't do now.

If this is how it works, my build will get an additional 17% to my cloudburst (32 Stormcaller)

I'm really interested in the new pyro mannaburn (chargeburn lol)
    That part of the Stormcaller changes are fine, the nerf comes from losing Elemental Armor in the Elementalist tree. Making Elemental Armor require 44 points is a big hit on our dps.

I guess we'll have to see if they have more changes planned.

The stormcaller/elementalist nerf was inevitable.It was the only option for dps so far,and that left alot of unused souls out there.And the rotation was just hilarious... get 3 stacks of electrify,ice shear,spam couldburst,refresh electrify with thunderbolt and ice shear when its needed,keep spamming cloudburst... its effortless,doesnt involve any skill.What i would like to see is more changes,to all souls,making aggro a problem,making you think "perhaps i should hold on this high dmg spell for a litlle bit or i will get aggro if i use it now".Atm its just a spam fest,just push it when its ready.

Balancing classes is a must in Alpha and I understand that no ability or spec is set in stone yet. However - I do think something is wrong when a mage (wearing the weakest protection armour) will be unable to dish out the same amount of DPS as say a rogue. I fail to see why a mage should be chosen as a playing class if we're more squishy and do less damage than melee classes. Our drawback in armour and protection should be weighed up against the DPS we can dish out - again its a matter of balance.

At first glance I'm not to thrilled about the new changes, but I guess some parsing at the dummies will show if it's really a nerf or not.

As mentioned above there are additional changes coming to damage values beyond what is mentioned here. In general, most callings are getting updates to their damage.
    I think saying anything about "balance" or "nerf" seems pointless until this has happened.

Pyromancer[*]New Ability: Fulminate – Unleashes flaming death on the enemy. Instant cast. Consumes 100 Charge when cast. 45 second cooldown. This ability is unlocked after spending 51 points in the Pyromancer soul.
    51 pts into the tree, I am not being won over with this addition. All this means is that I have to give up usefull spells/talents from other souls in order to pick up more worthless pyromancer talents that I'll never use, just to be able to get this one ability. It better be like omgwtfbbq type damage otherwise itll just end up being another talent that no pyromancer uses.

at list you get a 30,6% (51 x 0,6%) dps increase.
    compared to the 51% increase of the SC it´s a bit low for also costing us 9% HP.

but i want to test it with Damage numbers not with flat increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontra View Post
    51 pts into the tree, I am not being won over with this addition. All this means is that I have to give up usefull spells/talents from other souls in order to pick up more worthless pyromancer talents that I'll never use, just to be able to get this one ability. It better be like omgwtfbbq type damage otherwise itll just end up being another talent that no pyromancer uses.
    I agree, I read that and it doesn't sound like much. I'm not sold. It's hard to see how it will factor into the over all dps. If it's something that will be powerful, enough to inflict a sizeable amount of damage, it may be an agro magnet. Which means you may only be able to use it safely in a group at the very end of a fight in the last 10% or something.

We get a 30% damage increase, but the SC even though they're being nerfed a little will still be getting 50%? AND we're still taking the HP loss? What changed??

I guess we'll have to see how it looks after the overall damage tweaks.

Have some more updates for everyone, these are primarily the bigger changes and do not include changes made to damage values and such on abilities.
    Stormcaller
    • Reduced the benefit Cloudburst receives from stacks of Electrified to a 15% bonus per stack.
    • Stretch of Cold now increases water damage by 0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8/1% for each point spent in the Stormcaller soul.

As mentioned above there are additional changes coming to damage values beyond what is mentioned here. In general, most callings are getting updates to their damage. If, once these values make it out to the server, there are concerns about damage and dps combat logs of what you are seeing will be a big help in making sure I'm on the same page regarding your concern.

Feedback welcome on these changes as always
    Stretch of Cold only affects water damage, and the majority of our AoE damage comes from air damage, so I'm curious to see what the "additional changes coming to damage" will result in. As of now, while the snare and ability to pressure healers in PvP with constant, widespread DD is nice, there's absolutely no spike in the SC Soul (similar level Rogue's are pushing out numbers 3x's as high as I am at L30) and have equal if not higher survivability. The mobility in the SC Soul is excellent, but it would be nice to have one spike spell as an option.

Glad to read that damage across the Mage Calling is being reviewed.

Rift Team
    Another small batch of updates, but I know some people have been asking for these for a long time. Odds are these will not be included with the next update, but they should be part of the patch notes when they do go out.

Pyromancer
    • The proc from Pyromancer’s Armor now causes Cinder Burst to appear in the reactives window.
    • Inferno is now greyed out unless your target is below 30% health, and will now appear in the reactives window while your target is below 30% health.
    • The Wildfire proc will now appear in the scrolling combat text.

Warlock
    • Procs from the talent Opportunity will now appear in the scrolling combat text.

Another small batch of updates, but I know some people have been asking for these for a long time. Odds are these will not be included with the next update, but they should be part of the patch notes when they do go out.

Pyromancer
    • The proc from Pyromancer’s Armor now causes Cinder Burst to appear in the reactives window.
    • Inferno is now greyed out unless your target is below 30% health, and will now appear in the reactives window while your target is below 30% health.
    • The Wildfire proc will now appear in the scrolling combat text.

Warlock
    • Procs from the talent Opportunity will now appear in the scrolling combat text.
    Wow, nice batch of changes, that and depending on what exactly

As mentioned above there are additional changes coming to damage values beyond what is mentioned here. In general, most callings are getting updates to their damage. If, once these values make it out to the server, there are concerns about damage and dps combat logs of what you are seeing will be a big help in making sure I'm on the same page regarding your concern.

Feedback welcome on these changes as always
    equates to as far as balancing the dps souls, this is gonna be a great update for casters. I'd like to see Charge effects values on the +damage % back up to where they were a couple patches ago be cause the only ones using now seem to be the DD ones. The DOUBLE nerf to them with no-recharge while maintained combined withe damage values nerfed hurt them to bad. The souls with them suffered bad at the expense of the souls with DD types.
    I hope some damage values went up in warlock,pyro, and necromancer or all it seems they are just nerfing the stormcaller to fix dps issue. Speaking of necro I think pet scaling needs addressed now, they need to gain more from our INT or gain our crit and spell mod something, seems like all they gain now is hp. Isn't there some way to take our cast values to effect there dps more, they stop at lvl 50 but we grow, which hurts pets class the farther you advance your toon.

Pyromancer[LIST][*]The proc from Pyromancer’s Armor now causes Cinder Burst to appear in the reactives window.[*]Inferno is now greyed out unless your target is below 30% health, and will now appear in the reactives window while your target is below 30% health.
    niiiiiiiiiiice!

i didn´t believe it until it´s released *G*

this makes the life for Pyromancer much easier

Thumbs down

Patched and tested the changes now - and i'm not happy. From parsing it seems the Stom/ele combo got hit badly. DPS is about 30-40% less than before patch. This have no bearing on how the the souls are specced overall. I've tested with a balanced setup, with Storm specced full and with Ele specced full. Still a lot less dps.

Pyro seems to have gained about 5-10% dps over time, and is actually parsing slightly higher than storm/ele.

Atm, it is hard to see a reason to roll a caster DPS as rouges and DPS tanks do more DPS and have more HP than casters.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Acany View Post
    Patched and tested the changes now - and i'm not happy. From parsing it seems the Stom/ele combo got hit badly. DPS is about 30-40% less than before patch. This have no bearing on how the the souls are specced overall. I've tested with a balanced setup, with Storm specced full and with Ele specced full. Still a lot less dps.

Pyro seems to have gained about 5-10% dps over time, and is actually parsing slightly higher than storm/ele.

Atm, it is hard to see a reason to roll a caster DPS as rouges and DPS tanks do more DPS and have more HP than casters.

same idea.......mage need dps or very nice istant cc(offensive soul) .. now are good only for pve, for pvp mage is good only for support (heal and dominator/archon ability)

Quote Originally Posted by Acany View Post

You did read the part were the Dev said that they are still working on the numbers and they are not final yet right?

Pets--

I play a Chloro/Lock/Elementalist and use my earth pet as my primary tank while I solo. I notice some rather strange behavior with the new pet updates: Whenever my pet is tanking 2 or more mobs, when the mob I kill dies, he runs back to me then runs towards the next target. Sometimes, this causes him to lose aggro and the mobs all rush to me.

With some of the changes I have a concern for some things, but I am not really sure if this is the thread to discuss it. As I look over the spells and abilities in the tree, and see other comments from other people on how they play and spec, I begin to wonder more and more... what's the point of even having a third soul? Sure if you get elementalist or necromancer just for the pet, you're fine but... I am now encouraged by some abilities in, say Pyromancer, Stormlord, Dominator, to spend more points to get more out of those "per point" abilities. And it already costs quite a bit to get anything really useful in any particular soul.

Anyway, this is probably not the thread to discuss that, maybe I will start one later after I sleep and such...

Rift Team
    For those of you doing parses and comparing this soul against that soul and this calling against that calling, if you can give us parses, including the stats (attack/spell power, crit, etc) of the characters involved and other things that impact your damage from those parses it would be a big help.

While we spend quite a bit of time doing our own parses there's going to be certain combos we haven't tried and we may play the souls in a different manner from how you do, giving us different results. The numbers aren't set in stone, but making additional changes needs a greater pool of info.

Thanks again for all your feedback. Its very much appreciated.

For those of you doing parses and comparing this soul against that soul and this calling against that calling, if you can give us parses, including the stats (attack/spell power, crit, etc) of the characters involved and other things that impact your damage from those parses it would be a big help.

While we spend quite a bit of time doing our own parses there's going to be certain combos we haven't tried and we may play the souls in a different manner from how you do, giving us different results. The numbers aren't set in stone, but making additional changes needs a greater pool of info.

Thanks again for all your feedback. Its very much appreciated.
    Will do thanks!

+ Reply to Thread