+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So what mage specs are people using these days?

So what mage specs are people using these days?

Im wondering if some of the 50s can share with me what specs you are using for the following situations:
    • Group/Raid Heal
    • DPS
    • PvP

Im interested what folks that are actually number crunching are finding. I know I lean toward the following souls: Necromancer, Chlormancer, Warlock but I have very little experience with Archons and Stormcallers so maybe I am missing something. Im actually interested in where your points are actually going in the trees too.

Thanks in advance.

A magician never reveals his secrets!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Your post is missing a drawing for emphasis.

While I haven't played much the past couple of weeks, the state of mages hasn't changed much. For DPS, the best single target spec seems to be a mix of Pyromancer/Elementalist, for AE Stormcaller/elementalist does more damage(but does a lot less single target). For PvP no idea, it's gonna be extremely situational since some builds do better against some classes or in certain conditions.

For healing, in the chloromancer thread I listed my last 2 specs which are basicall heavy chloro with 10-12dom+necro(purge, mana battery) or lock(instant cast procs, convert health to mana) and a chloro/archon 30+ split to get the best of both or close to.

These are for group/raid content at 50, you'll probably find other specs more attractive when leveling or soloing.

I run a Experimentalist mixed with Pyro for the fire increases and use fireball over the earth missiles.

bah

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    You can spill the beans Hanlo.. we are all "practicioners of the dark arts" here.

I think the replies (and thank you to all that have replied) are still more generic than I was hoping. Here is my example because my PvP experience has been duels (waiting for the new Omega to try stuff) and my DPSing has been on normal dungeons or Rifts where I as a split healer too.

So I have recently been playing more with Chloro (in T1 Experts) and I think the new tank we have leveled just isn't geared enough just et to handle them properly so we are wiping a bit more than normally would be expected before downing a boss and moving on.

I currently am playing as Chloro 44, Warlock 8, Dominator 16. I find though that I'm just not able to keep him up with all the peaks and valley's I hit. But I honestly feel like I am spamming at the start of battles to try to keep him up. I am told that I am just inferior to a Cleric in the healing arena, but I don't think thats necessarily the truth. So I guess I'm looking for each spec a breakdown as to how its built, what the rotation is, and what the emergency items are. b/c Spamming Heals is not fun (well and life attacks as much as they are up).

I am also wondering if I were to go Chloro / Warlock primaries to get all the + spell dmg as passives if that would help. I notice I do alot of overhealing as a Chloro also, so that might just be me playing it sub-optimal.

So anyway - help a brutha out

To me the best Chloro spec is 44chloro, 12dominator, 8necro and erm, 2free points I guess you can put wherever you want. The necro purge is godly. Warlock works too with 44chloro 12dom 10lock. Alternatively, 34chloro 32archon but it's extremely annoying to play and if you wipe on a boss, it's terrible for the next try because of how slow it is to rebuff as an archon.

As for healing heroics, didn't have a problem on my chloro. Make sure to not cast Withering Vines, try to always keep Radiant Spores up, get the dot thing on Vile Spores/Ruin talent as well as other healing related talents, try to Radiant Spores before pull and precast Vile Spores on pull and follow with ruin, cast Bloom whenever it won't overheal(don't keep it as emergency), cast Nature's Touch when it's off cooldown and the tank is over 70%life but you don't have bloom or ruin up and rely on your full heal and Nature's Splendor for emergency, as well as the AE heal. Don't bother with Stream of Reclamation most of the time. Don't forget to use your charge with 19%entropic veil, especially before casting Nature's Touch or Ruin. As for the offspec stuff, precast Spell Reflect from dom if there's a caster in the pull, or cast it whenever, it's off GCD so you can always cast it between heals, also if you have time vs slow and hard hitting mobs, cast the Dom 25%attack speed debuff, and if you took necro purge whatever you can whenever you can, it's always helpful and sometimes makes fights a lot easier(like in IT the boss in the shadow room or the 3kings or the fire guy, basically half the bosses in there).

If your tank dies, it might be because he's not well geared, or not speced correctly either. Also when you just start heroics, it's very helpful even with a cleric mainhealer to have someone helping with a bit of offhealing. Usually 13pt chloro for radiant spores+bloom or 12pt bard for motif of regen, or a shaman/justicar DPS cleric if you happen to have that. Obviously if you're a chloro, a 13pt chloro isn't very helpful, try getting 12pt bard to help though. While difficulty went down with more talent points, heroics are still tough when you start them especially if your tank doesn't put a lot of effort in gearing himself with pregroup stuff(high endurance lesser essences, a lvl 50 blue earth greater essence, enchants on all he has). Also make sure someone has the endurance buff on the tank. If the tank is paladin, he can self buff, otherwise have a spec with Warlock to buff him before you switch.

Nice

Nice write up Pyros. I will try this for our next attempt. Yeah our tank is in greens and 2 of us are having issues keeping him up actually. I understand that it takes time to gear and we just got him to 50. We are working on getting him the purple legs and we actually had the components lying around to forge one of those purple necks with all the Endurance and defensive stats (assuming they ever fix the crafting plaques to require the correct ones). I even have a purple Bogling Eye (300, + Dodge) to put in it when we make it.

I will try the necro in that build and I hadn't even though about using the + attack speed. I will also move Stream of Reclamation out of my rotation. It didnt seem so useful but when stuff isn't up and your tank is taking huge chunks of dmg, panic sometimes takes over.

My best chloro spec is 32 chloro 34 warlock. For AE's i use mostly warlock spells and weave in a few heals or N. touch as needed. For ST i follow a standard chloro rotation weaving in warlock dots when not casting N touch or vial spores.
    Warlock gives me more charge,fast cast,hp/dot damage, 5% crits,10% damage 10% damage again and some decent AE damage.

Full Heal
    22 Necron
    44 Chloro
    Dominator

Did a greap Performance
    medium damage Good Group Heal and good Main Tank Heal
    Full Despell
    1 Sheep and emergency 1 Tank option

Raid Damage - Controller - Energy/Mana Buffer
    32 Stormcaller
    23 Elementalist
    11 Dominator

Max DPS - AOE - Mana Save -
    32+ Pyro 21+ Elemental ?

Still testing and experimenting to get the perfect kombnination

My favorite and best performing dps spec is 38 ele 28 storm. Plays like a stormcaller with a pet, Armor + synergize to get up charge for elemental forces and keep it up amap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballads View Post
    My favorite and best performing dps spec is 38 ele 28 storm. Plays like a stormcaller with a pet, Armor + synergize to get up charge for elemental forces and keep it up amap.
    I played the same earlier but with 38elem/28pyro, worked well. I'd say probably better than storm too, higher single target and probably similar AE since you don't get the 31pt AE with that build. Like all pyro builds though, you're a lot squishier, even with elem's ice shield and dmg reduction.

Dps

So im noticing that in a lot of DPS builds people seem to ignore the Warlock tree. Im wondering if I am missing something. I have looked over the trees and I settled on 31 Warlock, 20 Pyro, and 15 Elemental.

The 15 Elemental is to attain the + crit abilities and the 20 Pyro is to obtain Burn, AE, Fireball pluses and +dmg - hps. I was using the Warlock to obtain all the dmg reductions, + Spell Power, + Charge, and + HPs.

Is the Warlock Armor with +10% and the other +10% in the chain not as good as some of the other builds?

Im not usually a big fan of pets in dungeons (especially with the tab targeting). I also haven't experienced much of the Stormcaller or Elementalist in my travels beyond the + crit abilities. What is the draw to both of these? I see the AE capabilites of Stormcaller. But is there a standard rotation to STC or ELEM for DPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    So im noticing that in a lot of DPS builds people seem to ignore the Warlock tree. Im wondering if I am missing something. I have looked over the trees and I settled on 31 Warlock, 20 Pyro, and 15 Elemental.

The 15 Elemental is to attain the + crit abilities and the 20 Pyro is to obtain Burn, AE, Fireball pluses and +dmg - hps. I was using the Warlock to obtain all the dmg reductions, + Spell Power, + Charge, and + HPs.

Is the Warlock Armor with +10% and the other +10% in the chain not as good as some of the other builds?

Im not usually a big fan of pets in dungeons (especially with the tab targeting). I also haven't experienced much of the Stormcaller or Elementalist in my travels beyond the + crit abilities. What is the draw to both of these? I see the AE capabilites of Stormcaller. But is there a standard rotation to STC or ELEM for DPS?
    Dont tab target in a 5 man then maybe try using the /assist and or making sure your tank marks the targets. tanks dont seem to understand how nice it is to have things marked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zikkar View Post
    Dont tab target in a 5 man then maybe try using the /assist and or making sure your tank marks the targets. tanks dont seem to understand how nice it is to have things marked.
    Amen to that. Targeting out of the box was nice to see in RIFTS, it makes CC: and target calling nice - when it is done. Of course there are all those encounters where adds spawn or jump from behind (rocks/bushes)..heh.. but I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    I played the same earlier but with 38elem/28pyro, worked well. I'd say probably better than storm too, higher single target and probably similar AE since you don't get the 31pt AE with that build. Like all pyro builds though, you're a lot squishier, even with elem's ice shield and dmg reduction.
    I don't know.elemental forces is amazing after you get your fully stacked ice shear up.50% of the procs being water or air seems to beat out the 25% you enhance with your pyro.Your pet does more damage with storm caller debuffs.trying to maintain ground spells while either chain pulling trash or fighting named mobs that require at least some to heavy amounts of movingis FTL Also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballads View Post
    I don't know.elemental forces is amazing after you get your fully stacked ice shear up.50% of the procs being water or air seems to beat out the 25% you enhance with your pyro.Your pet does more damage with storm caller debuffs.trying to maintain ground spells while either chain pulling trash or fighting named mobs that require at least some to heavy amounts of movingis FTL Also.
    Hmm actually didn't think of the pet synergy with shear, that's a good points. I'm not convinced by elemental forces I'll need to test how it scales and stuff, generally a % of your dmg is gonna be a higher increase than a flat number but if that number scales well off SP maybe. Still you only get half of it, so yeah I don't know, I guess I'll run some tests. Worst case scenario you have the stormcaller's charge ability anyway. It's just that pyro gets so much straight damage increases in its first tiers, while stormcaller is more top heavy with the electrocute and iceshear stuff. Ground is not so bad, and you save time moving around with Flicker too, it's kinda repetitive but not much more than using the elementalist debuff on the mob at the start of every pull and every 30secs after that, or if you play chloro refreshing spores every 12-15secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    Hmm actually didn't think of the pet synergy with shear, that's a good points. I'm not convinced by elemental forces I'll need to test how it scales and stuff, generally a % of your dmg is gonna be a higher increase than a flat number but if that number scales well off SP maybe. Still you only get half of it, so yeah I don't know, I guess I'll run some tests. Worst case scenario you have the stormcaller's charge ability anyway. It's just that pyro gets so much straight damage increases in its first tiers, while stormcaller is more top heavy with the electrocute and iceshear stuff. Ground is not so bad, and you save time moving around with Flicker too, it's kinda repetitive but not much more than using the elementalist debuff on the mob at the start of every pull and every 30secs after that, or if you play chloro refreshing spores every 12-15secs.
    Going through a parse of an expert i happen to still have up on my parser, i see my average hit of elemental forces as 525. So in order for the 20% of internalized charge to beat it out your average hit of fireball would need to be 2500ish(factoring in 30% dot portion and ticks before refresh.) I can cast elemental debuff while moving and in fact everything except the electrocute spells (raging storm,thunderbolt, forked lighting.) This allows me to be much more mobile then pyro with its grounding and fireball spam or channeled AE's.

More on the Healing Spec

I tried your build Pyros but also had a different tank last night in Expert FC. I hadn't been in there yet so I really didn't have a clue when it came to pulls, areas to stay out of, and basic encounters. The same 2 Chloros were present as the Expert a few nights earlier. It was a very successful run and only 2 of the 5 folks had ever run that before. I guess it was the tank in the last one being a little undergeared. 2k HPs makes a huge different and knowing the pulls helped us tremendously.

I really liked the advice as and it seemed to flow pretty well. Using Bloom and Flourish as non-emergency spells seemed to help the rotation as a whole.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm playing with DPS specs now too.

Ballads - I notice you are a big fan of the Stormcaller portion of the damage build. I looked over the abilities on it and am not sure what the best way to stack them is. Some Spells say they do more dmg if you have this kind of spell condition up and such. So what is the standard rotation you use?

ST - Exposure, Raging storm(full channel,) Ice shear, cloud burst spam -thunder bolt and ice shear as needed to always keep up debuffs. Cast intensify elements with elemental forces. Cast Elemental forces soon as you get full charge and as much as you can.
    AE - Hailstorm,Forked lightningx3, Ice shear on main target, Lightning field spam. Use forked and shear as needed to maintain debuffs, on packs with no elites dont cast ice shear. Remember forked only hits 4 targets and lightning field only hits mobs with electrify stacks. Again Cast Elemental forces soon as you get full charge and as much as you can.

+ Reply to Thread