+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Storm

Fire Storm

Appears to be doing 100% of the damage every tick, instead of over 10 seconds. Unless of course it's supposed to be hitting consistently for 1k damage a tick, in which case I do believe it should be scaled down.

Yeah it does seem to be a little crazy atm. Someone said channeled spells get your spell power bonus every tick or something.

Spells get spellpower bonus depending on their cast time, so longer casting times=more spellpower. Firestorm is basically the slowest spell in the game, so it gets the most out of all of them. Combined with Internalize charge giving all the ticks full dmg, makes Firestorm stupid.

P.S.: Did an expert with 3 pyromancers, was pretty fun, felt like a normal mode instance, just pretty much everything in less than 10secs.

yum

Tastes like fried chicken

And to make it really good you have to become the ultimate glass cannon
    Feel the burn.

Kallith

There was a necro channel spell that was doing that, too. Err, forget the name... I bugged it using the in-game tool though, that goes straight to QA from what I understand.

As noted in the Pyro/Stormcaller thread Fire Storm gains more than max benefit from spellpower because of the duration of the channel. Combine this with bonuses to damage from Talented firebolt, ground of power, fire armor, etc and you do a phenomenal amount of damage with it.

An Elementalist / Pyromancer hybrid does even more. It's not a bug per se, just making use of the various built in bonus mechanisms which stack in the intended way.

Note that certain champion / paragon builds do just as much AE damage as Firestorm unless the Mage goes the extra mile to maximize spellpower at cast time

Yeah, Rogues can do the same thing with... oh wait, no they can't.

It was quite ridiculous in the warfront testing tonight. I think Mages on both sides were pretty much just casting Firestorm whenever they could. I can't wait until this is fixed on Tuesday.

I must say, though, that the Mages doing this are very fragile, so if you avoid the Firestorm and stun them or CC them in some way, you can usually kill them singlehandedly in under 10s. There is some semblance of balance, but the damage is still a bit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sornin View Post
    It was quite ridiculous in the warfront testing tonight. I think Mages on both sides were pretty much just casting Firestorm whenever they could. I can't wait until this is fixed on Tuesday.

I must say, though, that the Mages doing this are very fragile, so if you avoid the Firestorm and stun them or CC them in some way, you can usually kill them singlehandedly in under 10s. There is some semblance of balance, but the damage is still a bit crazy.
    I think you're mistaken. Firestorm has ALWAYS been like this. It didn't get randomly buffed last patch(like the 31pt reaver a few patches ago), it's always been ridiculous for AEing. It's probably not gonna get nerfed next patch unless it was already planned, because the issue is with mage mechanics, not with the actual spell. You can pull a 600/s mortality as warlock spec, and you get healed for 100% of the dmg you do. Similarly you can reach relatively close numbers with a Stormcaller spec, albeit both are still inferior to pyromancer stupid stuff.

Well, Mortality and Firestorm are probably the only spells to be balanced with warriors at the moment xD

I prefer, when playing Pyro, to just go 16 points in pyro and the rest in Archon. No point in maxing DPS, that's not how this game is meant to be played. As with maxing pyro dps you increase aggro and decrease survivability proportionally, which is points better spent on utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros
    I think you're mistaken. Firestorm has ALWAYS been like this.
    I am not arguing that Firestorm has or has not always been like that - all I am saying is that it should not be that powerful. It is ridiculous for it to tick for 1000+, and when it crits, watch out! I think I have been hit for 2500 or so before, from what is essentially a DoT.

Mages have some (perhaps many) issues, but having a couple overpowered spells does not help them in general or in the long run. All it does is force Mages to use a couple souls, which still have to deal with all of the other issues Mages have, with the one bonus of having a really, really strong AoE spell.

I think a good first step would be to somehow increase Mage survivability by at least 50%. I am not sure how to do that, since there are many ways, such as armor rating, escape methods, buffs, weakening other callings, etc. Right now most Mages simply die too quickly, which is their most pressing PvP issue. Last night I experimented by specifically targeting mages to see how high I could jack up my killing blows one match, and let's just say the experiment was a resounding success.

It's not a DoT. It's a channelled spell. The mage is basically CCing themselves while casting it. Just a clarification.

I am going to bump this thread (not that it needs it) because 90% of all mages I see in Warfronts now are using Firestorm as their bible. I would really love to see a couple more Warlocks, or hell even another Dominator like myself.

See to really maximize damage go pyromancer/elementalist. Fire armor, ground of power, fury of the kelari, internalize charge cast burning ground and then drop a firestorm on top of it. And ice armor plus talented fire armor so you don't die from all the agro aaaaaand crispy critters all around. Sorry that's wasn't the point was it?

Dont group up in a nice tight ball

Quote Originally Posted by Innominandum View Post
    See to really maximize damage go pyromancer/elementalist. Fire armor, ground of power, fury of the kelari, internalize charge cast burning ground and then drop a firestorm on top of it. And ice armor plus talented fire armor so you don't die from all the agro aaaaaand crispy critters all around. Sorry that's wasn't the point was it?
    I thought to do this myself today before reading any of this and made a pretty sweet AE dps build with 19 Pyro and 32 Elem. You get both AEs going at the same time plus a pet with all the bonuses maxed and the extra crit stuff from both trees, it's pretty beautiful.

Basic PVP
    hint
    if you see fire on the floor............. move

hint
    if you and 1/2 of your raid is going to stand next to each other suspect to get hit with aoe

Fire storm is not OP, the Mage need to channel the spell and if you are that stupid to stand in the fire well.....

*sigh* seems like we were all complaining about mages not doing enough damage just a month ago ahah

+ Reply to Thread