+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soul Suggestion: Monk

Soul Suggestion: Monk

After seeing so much support by players to see such a class, I think it would be wise to put some idea's in writing.
    I believe the monk should be a mage soul for several reasons:
    1. No Armor: Armor is not the way to enlightenment.
    2. Staff Combat: Monks are trained in the use of the Bo-staff.
      Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon Dynamite
      I'm pretty good with a Bo-Staff
    3. Planar Enlightenment: By harnessing the power of all the planes of existence, one can find true equilibrium.

There is a strong need for a melee Mage concept. Monk fits the bill superbly.

The idea I had was based around the elemental planes that converge on Telara. This is not a concept of Oriental Shao-Lin monk, but one that is tailored to the lore of Telara instead of Earth.

Primary abilities:
    There will be one primary ability for each of the 6 elements. Singular paths can be chosen, but only by learning all paths can one reach their true potential (Final Tier soul-point ability requires all 6 elemental abilities to be chosen in soul tree).
    Charge is built up by using melee staff (or sword & totem) attacks; Charge can then be unleashed into a variety of attacks or enhancements. Melee attacks have a Mana cost, Elemental abilities have a Charge cost or channeled charge drain.

Suggested abilities based on Element

Air:
    • Movement speed increase
    • Heightened Dexterity
    • Lightning Reflexes (Avoid AoE)
    • Lightning charged staff attack
    • Haste: Attack speed increase (Charged Dump)

Water:
    • Party/Raid: Fire resistance
    • Crowd control breaker
    • Party/Raid: Mana regeneration (Drains charge)

Fire:
    • Combustion: Self Centered Fire AoE damage.
    • Cold Resistance
    • Dragon Breath: Cone of Fire (Drains Charge)

Earth:
    • Stone skin: Damage reduction(1 hour buff)
    • Iron skin: Improved Stone skin(1 hour buff)
    • Quake: Self Centered AoE w/possible knockdown or hit reduction. Channeled (Drains Charge)

Life:
    • Self Heal: Channeled ability that drains charge.
    • Death Resistance.
    • Blinding Strike: Channeling the blinding power of light into this stunning attack. (Stun)

Death:
    • Life Resistance
    • Feign Death
    • Chill touch: Channeling the power of death through this strength sapping attack. (Reduces Inc Dmg)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Note that not all of the above abilities would be included, it is just a list of suggested abilities for each element.

I for one would be all over a class like this..

I'd love to see a monk variant, I'd roll it in an instant.

A very interesting concept

I like this idea to be honest. Actually, I like this idea *and* my Spellblade concept, as two different souls that are both melee but have different purposes. Love to see either or both put into the blender to try. That said, it may be too far in the development cycle for that, I don't know.

Either way. Props to Elth for this.

Replace Saboteur with a Monk imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    Replace Saboteur with a Monk imo.
    A solid idea but I would also (and have) argue for adding feign to the Reaver. More abilities = more functional differences betwen the classes = more fun for the players. Really at this point the soul system is the reason to play Rift by hobbling it with reduced class options and reduced functionality Trion is shooting itself in the foot.

1. Need full range of functionality w/n each class (I've harped on feign because that's the obvious one they're missing but from the comment about Bards not being able to lull pull it seems like other functionality is missing).

2. Trion should rethink the 'only select soul from your calling' limitation. A better option would be to allow 1 soul to be from a different calling (though maybe put a limit on the # of points you can put into the soul - say 51 ponts in a soul of your main calling but only 21 points in a soul of one of the other three callings). What this does is build on the pokemon 'gotta catch them all' appeal of trying to get every soul. Instead of just 8 now you can try to get all 32.

Also since Rift does have a focus on solo gameplay allowing idea #2 enhances solo gameplay.

If anyone has any further ideas to add to the abilities it would be much appreciated. I only dropped in a few suggestions for each without considering roles or synergy. Would be interested in what other ideas people might have that would relate to the elemental theme for a melee combatant.

Quote Originally Posted by Surface View Post
    2. Trion should rethink the 'only select soul from your calling' limitation. A better option would be to allow 1 soul to be from a different calling (though maybe put a limit on the # of points you can put into the soul - say 51 ponts in a soul of your main calling but only 21 points in a soul of one of the other three callings). What this does is build on the pokemon 'gotta catch them all' appeal of trying to get every soul. Instead of just 8 now you can try to get all 32.

Also since Rift does have a focus on solo gameplay allowing idea #2 enhances solo gameplay.
    I like the idea from number 2. Having the cross calling choices limited in some way like restricted point distribution or basic lack of synergy between the other callings could work. The only thing that would concern me here would be seeing Plate & Shield souls with Mage output. Cross between Warrior and Rogue wouldn't bother me because Paragons out DPS rogues anyway, but obviously you would restrict things like stealth to leather only etc...

A monk would belong in the Cleric calling...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Or Warrior.

Monk should be its own calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Why? A monk is not always dedicated to a religious order. One definition of a Monk is a man who is a member of a brotherhood living in a monastery and devoted to a discipline prescribed by his order.

What constitutes a Monk in Telara? That is completely up to the Lore department. A Monk could be a student of the Quicksilver College dedicated to learning and harnessing the power of the six planes in the path to enlightenment or even ascending themselves beyond mortal or even immortal consciousness.

To me, the four callings only restrictions are what armor & weapons they use and how they use their abilities ie; combo points & energy, mana & charge. The Monk I described above uses magic and martial arts, wearing chain or plate as a cleric or warrior does not fit.

You know, initially I had the same reaction as some: it should be a different calling....but I agree it would be a great addition to the mage calling. Gives the mage a melee soul, gives the monk folks a monk, puts in an avoidance tank for mages. The monk mage could easily be lored as putting the magical research into the physical body. Use the shaman style of transforming spell power to attack power.

I second that this class would better belong in the mage line vs. cleric or warrior.

I'm dating myself here -- but it sounds to me a lot like the old "physical adept" interpretation from Shadowrun -- you get a mage that basically channels their magical energy and attunement into making their bodies a perfect weapon.

The Elements belong to the Experimentalist thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zikkar View Post
    The Elements belong to the Experimentalist thank you very much.
    Experimentalist? Sounds like a guy in a white coat playing with test tubes.

Seriously, the only reason I used Monk for the name was because there was a high demand for a monk concept on the community forums and on the Alpha forums at the time.

I wouldn't really care what the soul would be called, I would just like to see a mage with a melee focus.

I have often thought the Stormcaller could be a great monk with some re- working.

Quote Originally Posted by meatypickle View Post
    I have often thought the Stormcaller could be a great monk with some re- working.
    Don't you dare change me!

All jokes aside, I would like to see a monk. But I find it would be more fitting as a cleric class and some of the cleric classes just seem..egh.

The big problem with monks as I see it is this
    weapons:
    If they're fighting with bare fists then you have to find some way to offset the fact that zomg they don't need to loot weapons but at the same time oh noes their weapons aren't upgradeable, without unbalancing it against every other class out there. Or if they're using staffs then you're adding an entire set of weapons to the loot tables for one specific soul. Caster staffs are usable by clerics or mages and provide stats that are appropriate for them. A monk would decidedly not enjoy the same stats without a lot of weird rationalization.
    armor:
    Same problem as with staffs if they use cloth, now while leather drops are good for almost any rogue, a portion of the cloth drops is now good for one soul of the mage class (provided it ended up as a mage which...well there's no good place for monk).
    If you just want to play a melee character in light armor, go play a rogue. If you want to play a character that doesn't have to worry about some/all of his equipment, DIAF and GTFO, there's the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Innominandum View Post
    The big problem with monks as I see it is this
    weapons:
    If they're fighting with bare fists then you have to find some way to offset the fact that zomg they don't need to loot weapons but at the same time oh noes their weapons aren't upgradeable, without unbalancing it against every other class out there. Or if they're using staffs then you're adding an entire set of weapons to the loot tables for one specific soul. Caster staffs are usable by clerics or mages and provide stats that are appropriate for them. A monk would decidedly not enjoy the same stats without a lot of weird rationalization.
    armor:
    Same problem as with staffs if they use cloth, now while leather drops are good for almost any rogue, a portion of the cloth drops is now good for one soul of the mage class (provided it ended up as a mage which...well there's no good place for monk).
    If you just want to play a melee character in light armor, go play a rogue. If you want to play a character that doesn't have to worry about some/all of his equipment, DIAF and GTFO, there's the door.
    They'd have to work like druids and justicars, in that they have something to convert their mage stats into melee stats.

Also, it would be a lot more interesting, compatible with other souls, and less of a cut and paste from EQ if it was more "close range mage that looks melee-ish" than "mage that is not a mage."

Quote Originally Posted by Noctivagus View Post
    They'd have to work like druids and justicars, in that they have something to convert their mage stats into melee stats.

Also, it would be a lot more interesting, compatible with other souls, and less of a cut and paste from EQ if it was more "close range mage that looks melee-ish" than "mage that is not a mage."
    a melee range mage would actually not be a terrible thing, but I sadly think we're a bit deep into the process to go around adding new souls. sorry guys, what we've got is what we've got.

+ Reply to Thread